A little lost with the eyeshadow

kaliraksha

I feel really bored with my eyeshadow looks. I've tried to look through FOTDS and tutorials... but I still don't really know what to do. I'm bored with my two or three looks... I just don't know.. I don't feel educated enough and everything I try to experiment with I end up either looking the same or I like overblend and it turns into mush. I do like a "sunset look" and I do a basic highlighter color, inner eye color... darker outer "v" color... and nothing else. I just feel like my eyelids are too small to do anything expressive with and I know thats just plain silly because when I get my makeup done it looks much much better.

I realize practice will greatly improve my skill... but I was hoping for a little direction from you talented ladies. I have Making Faces and looked through that for some tips... and thats where I've gotten most of the looks I do... any other books? Threads? Websites? What are your favorite eyeshadows looks or combos or techniques that you wouldn't mind sharing with me?

I'm all up for trying whatever, I'm just bored of what I do and want your favorites! Thanks everyone! Also... if this questions has been posted before... I'm sorry.. I tried to do a search but I think it's a broad subject to search.

user2

Just try to add a little spark of bright color to your so called "bored" looks! I always like to have a brown eye and add e.g. a pink to the inner corner or try to use like a colorful e/s as a liner to add the extra twist!

kaliraksha

ooh that's a good idea... i just need to experiment more i guess... i guess im most concerned with like where to put the eyeshadow.... i only seem to do two combinations.

1. sunset look- lightest color on brow, middle color in between, dark color on lid
2. highlighter color for brow swept lightly down... outer v dark color, middle color on inner lid

Kat

I find lining the lower lashline always adds interest.

Use a contrasting colour for a bolder look, or the lid colour for something a little less full on.

Suggestions:
Paradisco on lid, Say Yeah! dusted over the top, shroom to highlight, line the lower lashline with parfait amour and shimmermoss.

Bronze to Shimmermoss to freshwater graduated across the lid from the outer v, and parfait amour to line.

Woodwinked all over the lid, all that glitters in the crease and shroom to highlight, and woodwinked to line.

etc etc! you can always brighten up a neutral eye with a brighter liner colour.

betty

here's one for ya!

If you have small eyes then you should try putting a darker colour on the inner and outer corners and then choose a lighter (highlighting) colour and do that in the center of the lid, right above your pupil. This will actually make your eyes appear wider and larger but it is also a really nice effect.

Arella

In terms of books, aside from Making Faces my absolute favorite is Francois Nars' 'Makeup Your Mind'. It's incredibly helpful, and even has acetate overlays so you can see what goes where (and even if you don't own any Nars cosmetics, it's easy to substitute). Hope that helps.

Latest posts