academic version software - please answer

noahlowryfan

if you purchase the software from the college's bookstore that is for academic use, is it similar to the ones that you buy at the retail stores?

what does it mean when the academic version is not licensed for commercial use? can we print what we did in the software?

benzito_714

Academic Version is usually offered at a lower price than that in the retail store. As for the 'not for commercial use' that means don't share the programs-don't download it on your friend's, parent's, etc computer.

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
Academic Version is usually offered at a lower price than that in the retail store. As for the 'not for commercial use' that means don't share the programs-don't download it on your friend's, parent's, etc computer.

so we can only download it on one computer? if we don't attend school anymore, can we still use it?

benzito_714

i've used it twice for my own pc's. the only thing is that it has some kind of authorization # that may prevent you from downloading a certain number of times.
since they can't track whose in school i think you should be fine using the programs. hey you bought it, gotta get your money's worth.

noahlowryfan

Quote:
i've used it twice for my own pc's. the only thing is that it has some kind of authorization # that may prevent you from downloading a certain number of times.
since they can't track whose in school i think you should be fine using the programs. hey you bought it, gotta get your money's worth.

thanks. can i print out my work if i use the software to create it?

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by frocher
Yes, you can print out your work. Sometimes, academic software has limited options, it is a pared down version of the original.

thanks. since i haven't open it yet i might just return it.

just to let you all know i purchase Microsoft Office 2007 Professional and it said for Academic Use only so this tells me its an academic version.

melozburngr

Academic versions of software are identical to retail release software, the difference is that you are legally not able to use the software for monetary gain. Technically it is the same software tho.

user79

Quote:

No, that's the copyright I think. Not for commerical use means you can't use it on a professional level and make money using it, like a graphic designer using Adobe Photoshop for his work.

Beauty Mark

Unless you have a license that says otherwise, you're not supposed put most, if not all, store bought software on multiple computers