am i doing something wrong? if so, any recommendations for new foundation? =)

l1lvague

wavey.gif
hello, i am new to this forum and this is my first post... i hope im posting in the right forum. well my problem is, after my foundation and powder, my face looks so dry and has those dry patches that looks like my skin is gonna peel off. (the nose area, eyebrows, above eyebrows kinda of in the forehead area) the thing is, i use the smashbox primer (so i thought my skin wouldnt look dry) before using my dior ultra mat powder/foundation then i set it with my stila powder. i also moisturize before these steps. am i doing anything wrong? is there something wrong with the foundation or powder? any recommendations to stop the dry patches?

also, when i put my blush on, it looks like my cheeks have these alligator snake skin... ( don't really know how to describe it) but it's not attractive at all. is my skin just very dry? because i am very oily so i never thought my skin can get dry. (if i'm making sense here?)

thank you. please help me.
hmm.gif
wavey.gif

JediFarfy

Exfoliate! The problem is mostly dead skin on the surface rather than dry skin. I had the same issue. Either use a chemical (something with 2% salicidic acid) or manual (scub beads, I love Clinique's 7 day scrub). It helps a ton. Good luck!
smiles.gif

Shimmer

See your doctor/dermatologist.
S/he might be able to pinpoint the reason for the patches and prescribe something to treat it.

Shawna

I have very dry skin, but am having exactly the same problem right now. I am going to the doctor in a few hours and will let you know what he recommends. I hope he can do something because it looks like I have the plague and wearing makeup is making it worse
ssad.gif
I'm devastated. All that wonderful MAC and I can't wear it. *sob*

Hawkeye

Second JediFairy!

Exfoliate and use a very good moisturizer! Also - don't use the powder that just makes it worse.

I have a very similar problem-and this is what i do

What is going on is that your skin is indeed dry. Make sure you drink a ton of water, avoid dehydrating drinks (Coffee, tea, etc). And then exfoliate I use- MURAD ABA/BHA cleanser and I scrub and leave on for maybe about a minute (since it eats away the yucky skin) and then I wash it off, I use a very moisturizing toner (Laura Mercier Purifying water) but you can also use Witch hazel. STAY AWAY From alcohol based products and for my moisturizer I use Murad as well since it doesn't break me out.

Let your moisturizer soak in for at least 5 minutes.

Then do your makeup routine-but do NOT add the powder. It just enhances the dry skin.

I would almost tell you to get a moisturizing foundation- like a Tinted moisturizer as well. :/

l1lvague

thank you guys! i always forget to exfoliate... i barely do it like once a month which is bad... i know =X

and last week, i had a problem with a makeup product or something and had allergies on my face so i ended up goin to the doctor and i got this medication but its all gone now. i hope the same reaction doesnt come up again! because i couldnt put make up on for a week =[

ill try exfoliating daily. i have this thing where you put it on for a few minutes then i rub it and my dead skin peels off~ then wash it off.

once again thank you guys =]

maxcat

Try rolled oats and warm water. It's super gentle and very unlikely to cause an allergy. Also, stop using anything on your face that foams. Seriously. That ingredient (sodium laureth sulfate) irritates a lot of people. Move to something like Cetaphil.

mac_aiken

The only thing I would add to the already wonderful advice that the ladies here have given would be to use Fix+ to set your makeup after you are finished. I find that it helps keep my face from getting too dry during the day.

Shawna

I gave up and went to the doctor yesterday for the exact same problem and it turns out that I had an allergic reaction to water. Yup. How weird is that. Because I already have super sensititve skin and the weather has sucked, water took away any last defence my skin had and I had a reaction. He gave me some wonderful cream and my face is absolutely clear this morning after only two applications
cheerleader.gif
I guess the lesson is to not try to self-diagnois and leave it up to the professionals. If the cream worked for you, it is most likely dead skin left behind from the reaction and a little exfoliation should help.

l1lvague

oooo im glad ur allergies are slowly going away! mines going away too after the cream my doctor prescribed me. i exfoliated last night and plannin to again tonight. im moisturizing as much as possible! i hope it gets better!

and today i used a tinted moisturizer insteaddd but sadly, i looked very oily so put some powder on top but i didnt get any dry patches!!

sassygirl224

I agree with the advice to exfoliate! Whenever I forget to do it, I end up with dry patches on my face, in the areas you described. After exfoliating, it goes away. So dry putting on some makeup now, to see how it looks, if its not better maybe you should see a dermatologist

knoxydoll

I've been having trouble with my skin lately too, I blame winter it just dries me out. For me the easiest way to help was exfoliating and pure aloe gel. The aloe help heal the skin and it makes it really soft.

Kiko

I believe your Dior ultra matt foundation is formulated for oily/normal skin. Try a liquid or cream foundation. but I would keep using the smashbox primer first. HTH

l1lvague

thank you guyss! wow exfoliating does wonders. yes, it does help A LOTTTTTT! ive exfoliated 3x this week and did this moisturizing skin hydrating mask which helped too! i am going to try exfoliating 2-3x a week since its not a scrub. now my makeup goes on really smoothly..

oh and Kiko, yeahh i bought the dior ultra matt because i am very oily so it helps! but thanks for the recommendations. after exfoliating and everything, my skin has become soft and i have no more dry patches but in like 3-4 hours i get oily (but thats... just me i guess genetically =[)

thanks guys =]