Another foundation ? (or maybe 2 ?s)

MACaholic76

So I am still going thru the drama. I tried the NW40 and it was a tad too dark. But NC42 is too light and pinkish on me (and so is NC43) while NC45 is what I've worn when I am at my darkest but it turns straight up orange.
I swatched NW35 and NC42 in SF and NW was darker!!! Any1 else have experience with this or can confirm this??? So, is NW35 the happy medium for me? I am not looking to wear foundation all over but rather to even out my multi-toned face. LOL.
Also, what would I be in the Hyperreal? NW400 wasn't quite right and NC500 either.
Thanks so much ladies. Im addicted to this place!

ebonyannette

hmm, poor baby you are just all over the place!
I think the NW's are darker what part of your face are you trying to
match? I personally match the darker part of my face (the outside edges) and it looks really good.
I used to try to match my cheeks for forehead which is lighter than the rest of my face and it never worked.
You may need to mix them or try a different line altogether.
Do you have a MA at MAC that you go to all the time? why not just go and get a few samples of each, they usually dont mind, I personally didnt care too much for the hyper real cause the one reccomended for my color had purplish flecks in it which looked strange but you may have a different experience than I did. Some people swear by it. They took away the "women of color" section which had a thread in which the ladies recommended other lines that carried a good range of colors.
Good luck!

MacVirgin

Hi! at my darkest i also bought nc45 and had the same result, it turned orange. i looked weird!
eeksign.gif

So i kept it and mixed it with my nc44 and it's perfect for me.

I customblend my foundation to during the summer with a drop of nc45. It depends on how tan i am how much i use. Sometimes during the winter i have to mix my nc44 with a drop of lighter shade too. Hope this helps
smiles.gif

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
hmm, poor baby you are just all over the place!
I think the NW's are darker what part of your face are you trying to
match? I personally match the darker part of my face (the outside edges) and it looks really good.
I used to try to match my cheeks for forehead which is lighter than the rest of my face and it never worked.
You may need to mix them or try a different line altogether.
Do you have a MA at MAC that you go to all the time? why not just go and get a few samples of each, they usually dont mind, I personally didnt care too much for the hyper real cause the one reccomended for my color had purplish flecks in it which looked strange but you may have a different experience than I did. Some people swear by it. They took away the "women of color" section which had a thread in which the ladies recommended other lines that carried a good range of colors.
Good luck!

Hehehe...my own counter has had it with me. The outter edges of my face are NC42, which is why the NW35 in concealer works so well at evening me out. My forehead however, is more like NC45ish! LOL. Im going to try the NW35, which looks great when paired with my bronzer. And yes...I'm all over the place. It sucks.
ssad.gif
And...I've tried so many other brands but none of the shades come even close to matching my skintone.
Thanks for your help!

ebonyannette

I know its frustrating! what are your undertones you must be sort of Olive? What is your nationality?
Did you try Prescriptives yet? they custom blend foundation but its like
$60 a bottle but it may be worth it just to end the frustration.

sharrismx6

I have the same problem with Studio Fix and found the best match using C6.

As far as other brands are concerned, have you tried Bobbi Brown? Her line also caters to women of color.

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrismx6
I have the same problem with Studio Fix and found the best match using C6.

As far as other brands are concerned, have you tried Bobbi Brown? Her line also caters to women of color.

Bobbi Brown straight up sucked and its overrated and overpriced in my opinion. I've had luck wearing C6 but sometimes it makes me look jaundiced...maybe it's the hideous lighting in my building?! Maybe I should go with C7 since I'm a tad darker.
Ya'll been sooo helpful. In the past 3 days I've bought at least 3 different formulas and like 4 or 5 different shades! I am almost there though...almost got it narrowed down!
Thanks sooo much!

maxcat

Maybe move into MAC Face and Body? It performs well, and you can mix the colors easily.
You also get a lot of product for your dollar. I find it's a often a truer match because the colour range is totally different from the other foundations and it's easier to customize.

YvetteJeannine

Hi...

I feel so bad for you! It's very frustrating to not be able to match a foundation shade (especially when you've tried like everything....Good God girl, you had me dizzy there for a min!).

I was going to ask you if you've ever tried Becca cosmetic line? They're sold at Sephora (and they have their own webiste as well). They are renown for making a foundation line that covers juuuust about any and every skintone imaginable...They've gotten great raves from darker skintoned gals...Maybe you should look into that?? At least go to the Becca or Sephora webiste and look at their product line; it can't hurt
winks.gif

In any case, no matter what you decide to go with, good luck!

MACaholic76

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints. Yes, I've tried Becca but their foundation is way too thick for my liking. The color matches are wonderful thou! I guess I can "water it down" by mixing it w/moisturizer.
The thing is that I am an NC45, regularly, when I tan in the summer I've gone all the way up to NC50 BUT...since I use tretinoin cream, and keep my face out of the sun and wear sunscreen and all that stuff so my face looks sooo much lighter than the rest of my body, hence when I put foundation on, I feel like I dont match.
I guess I just have to make the NC45 work for me. I like the idea of mixing it with a lighter shade to tone down the orangyness. C6 also works okay so I guess since Im a bit darker I can use C7.
Oh, and did I mention I live/work under flourescent lighting? Uggh...what man created these hideous things?

YvetteJeannine

MACaholic76 Wrote:

Quote:
Oh, and did I mention I live/work under flourescent lighting? Uggh...what man created these hideous things?

rofl.gif
Yesssss!!!! Thank You! That's always been my question/feeling too! (and then, what as..ole thought they'd be good to put in dressing rooms?! Yeah, they're just SOOOOOO flattering!)

ebonyannette

I hate flourescent lighting! you need one foundation for work another one for outside! ha ha!
Have you tried getting samples instead of buying the foundations? most places do sample so you can save yourself some money.

MACaholic76

Edited: Someone mentioned in a post above that I must have olive undertones and I think you are right. NWs = tomato red. NC = neon pink
C = perfect.

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonyannette
I know its frustrating! what are your undertones you must be sort of Olive? What is your nationality?
Did you try Prescriptives yet? they custom blend foundation but its like
$60 a bottle but it may be worth it just to end the frustration.

I have tried Prescriptives and it's okay but I am not 100% sold on it. I might have to look into getting it blended but we have no counters that do that in my area.
I'm a Black Latina (YAY!) Dominican and Haitian but my fams is spread all ova the caribbean (Jamaica and Trinidad especially).

User67

I have the same exact problem with the Studio Fix powder. The NC40 is too light, the NC42 is too dark, none of the C colors worked for me either & the NW shades look orange on me. Luckily I wasn't looking for it to be my main foundation, but to set my Studio Fix Fluid. I finally gave up & got the Sheer Pressed Powder in NC40 & it matches much better. I hope you find something that works for you!

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla2120
I have the same exact problem with the Studio Fix powder. The NC40 is too light, the NC42 is too dark, none of the C colors worked for me either & the NW shades look orange on me. Luckily I wasn't looking for it to be my main foundation, but to set my Studio Fix Fluid. I finally gave up & got the Sheer Pressed Powder in NC40 & it matches much better. I hope you find something that works for you!

SF has been my HG foundation for years but somewhere down the line and now that my face is not tanned, I cannot wear the NC shades at all. This morning I wore NC42 and looked neon pink! Too funny.
But I'm happy now with the C6/7. Works really good! Thanks!!!

Latest posts