any tips for taking really good beauty shots?

MagazineGal

I am trying to expand my portfolio - and I want to have really good shots of the makeup that I do...I want to include this in my writing portfolio to add something extra to it. - I was a makeup artist for Aveda and I freelance a bit but I don't have any pics available. I am doing some prom makeup in May and want to have some pics...need lighting tips etc...thanks!

Shimmer

go to a modeling site (you can pm me for links if you need them) and talk to a photographer and model there about doing a TFP shoot, and see if anyone's interested.
smiles.gif

user79

Use a good camera, if you can, get your hand on a digital SLR camera instead of a point&shoot. Otherwise, play around with the shutter exposure settings.

Take the make-up in flattering lighting conditions. This can be in a studio with professional lighting, or if you don't have that, against a white background in daylight. No busy backgrounds or clutter...a neutral colour background is best.

Try to minimize flash on the subject as this may wash out the colours and their skin tone. If you have a fill-in flash feature, use that instead of a full flash. If you take the picture in daylight but not direct sunlight, you will usually get the most flattering light setup at home.

Latest posts