Applying MU on people - I'm scared!

user2

OK I know it's part of MACs everyday work but I'm too afraid that I poke someone in the eye!

And I really really would love to work there....

Any tips?

mel0622

lol. yeah i'm kinda afraid i'll do that too. or if i do it and then they dont like it in the end...

i think maybe just practice a bit more on other people like friends and family. maybe hearing stuff that isnt so great from them is better then from anyone else. does that make sense?? lol.

lah_knee

its not nearly as bad as you think. i promise!!! i used to think "no way would i work for mac... i dont want to apply makeup on people everyday!!"

but now that im there, its not bad at all! i love it! its fun to put it on them, particularly when they are open to try new things and really want to learn. i just hate when they are picky and used to one way and dont want to break out of their bad habits. and if they dont like it, then who cares! its not personal, just change what you can to make them happy again
smiles.gif

Villainiss

To get over the fear of working on other people, call ALL of your friends (even the ones that don't wear makeup!) and set up a day where you do their makeup.

Do your own makeup first, set up all of your product and supplies, put on your brush belt, and do your thing! One of the most uncomfortable things about doing makeup on someone you don't know is having no idea what they want, and no idea who they are. So you can start out by talking about what products they currently wear, their skin type, their jobs, etc., and those kinds of things will not only give you valuable information about the people you work on, but also get you and your client more comfortable with eachother.

Remember, practice makes perfect, and communication is key. Of course, as in any line of business, you will always have a percentage of people who aren't satisfied with their service, but sometimes it simply can't be avoided. But if you practice on your friends, maybe even your friend's friends, then you can gain some of the skills (not just makeup-wise) to go in to your new position and feel confident about your skills - all of them! Good luck!

giz2000

I actually prefer to do makeup on other people than on myself...totally different perspective (and putting on lashes is SOOO much easier when you're applying them to someone else!)...definitely practice on your friends...you'll get the hang of it soon enough!