Asia Carrera's amazing birth story

kaexbabey

wow. she's my hero! hahah. i agree with what ppl are saying about how complications can occur and you'd have to be at the hospital. but she's lucky since everything was normal. and for any preggo ladies, when you dont have an epidural (i've had one baby with one and one baby without) and if you're lucky enough to not have to have stitches, you really do feel great and feel like you can go shopping the very next day like asia did. lol

NutMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist
Aye.

It was very frightening. We didn't know I had preeclampsia until a routine prenatal check showed all the symptoms had suddenly appeared, practically overnight. I'd had a headache for a week, but none of the other symptoms (protein in the urine was nil, no high blood pressure readings, no pain in my belly).

When I suddenly showed protein and high BP, I was induced in 24 hours. Until then, my pregnancy was utterly normal and boring. I had wanted a home birth initially, but I'm very glad now that I didn't get one. My boy needed forceps and I ended up with an episiotomy and tears anyway, lost a lot of blood, had transfusions, etc. It was a nightmare of a mess.

My point is that the preeclampsia only showed up at the very, very end of my pregnancy, and it was only detected because of a routine check on my health. I worry that if someone isn't getting enough healthcare during their pregnancy, home birth can be very dangerous to the health of the mother and child. I'm all for independence and being able to make birth as natural and happy as possible, but I think too many things can go wrong.

All I can say is I'm really glad they caught it and that you and the little guy are ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaexbabey
wow. she's my hero! hahah. i agree with what ppl are saying about how complications can occur and you'd have to be at the hospital. but she's lucky since everything was normal. and for any preggo ladies, when you dont have an epidural (i've had one baby with one and one baby without) and if you're lucky enough to not have to have stitches, you really do feel great and feel like you can go shopping the very next day like asia did. lol

I've heard a number of women say that. I have a sneaking suspicion that things like Pitocin cause a hell of a lot of damage that really doesn't need to be there, if only because the contractions progress before dilation. I've also heard that a lot of tearing heals pretty well on its own, provided it's not really bad, like a fistula. Probably because vaginal tissue is so stretchy and has a lot of blood flow for healing purposes.

kaexbabey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutMeg

I've heard a number of women say that. I have a sneaking suspicion that things like Pitocin cause a hell of a lot of damage that really doesn't need to be there, if only because the contractions progress before dilation. I've also heard that a lot of tearing heals pretty well on its own, provided it's not really bad, like a fistula. Probably because vaginal tissue is so stretchy and has a lot of blood flow for healing purposes.

i agree. i think some girls just need to let nature run its course and let it happen rather than freaking out because they're contracting a LITTLE bit. drugs really do mess you up.

Patricia

i agree with what you girls said, two friends of mine that are nurses say it's very sad how labor has become so medicalized it's not even natural anymore

if there's risk or the mother or the baby got a condition then meds are fine and epidurals are great too but for example there's lots of caesareans being made by doctors that could be done vaginally

these are some of the consecuences

Caesarean babies at risk of diabetes - Times Online

jdechant

Wow..I really wish I could of had the easy birth that she went through. If I had read this story prior to having my baby a few years ago, I would of went into the hospital preparing to be finished within a couple of hours with intentions of shopping the next day...lol..Truth is though, I ended up getting induced after going over my due date by a week. Induced at 7:00am, slow progression all day...wanted something for the pain at about 7:00pm, they gave me my one and only morphine/gravol shot that did relax the contractions for a while..after that, it was me on my own..no epidurals at our hospital at the time even though I wanted one SOOOO BADLY!! (I love it on tv when you watch birthing stories and you see the moms on tv sleeping away and then the doctor wakes them up to tell them that its time to push) lol I WISH!!! Anyways...finally around 2:00 am my water broke and at 4:24am I gave birth to my little girl. Needless to say that an episiotomy and tearing was involved...Blood loss and the cord was wrapped around her neck :S Not fun!! Now that shes 2 and a half, people are asking me, so when are you going to have your next one?? I laugh.....cause eventually I would like to have one more..but man oh man...I couldn't imagine going through that same process again!! HAHa..anywayyyss....She is one brave woman!

NutMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechant
Wow..I really wish I could of had the easy birth that she went through. If I had read this story prior to having my baby a few years ago, I would of went into the hospital preparing to be finished within a couple of hours with intentions of shopping the next day...lol..Truth is though, I ended up getting induced after going over my due date by a week. Induced at 7:00am, slow progression all day...wanted something for the pain at about 7:00pm, they gave me my one and only morphine/gravol shot that did relax the contractions for a while..after that, it was me on my own..no epidurals at our hospital at the time even though I wanted one SOOOO BADLY!! (I love it on tv when you watch birthing stories and you see the moms on tv sleeping away and then the doctor wakes them up to tell them that its time to push) lol I WISH!!! Anyways...finally around 2:00 am my water broke and at 4:24am I gave birth to my little girl. Needless to say that an episiotomy and tearing was involved...Blood loss and the cord was wrapped around her neck :S Not fun!! Now that shes 2 and a half, people are asking me, so when are you going to have your next one?? I laugh.....cause eventually I would like to have one more..but man oh man...I couldn't imagine going through that same process again!! HAHa..anywayyyss....She is one brave woman!

I guess my point is, why did you get induced? Basically being induced meant that you were contracting for 19 hours before your water broke. And so you had a lot of damage as far as tearing, etc, and your cervix was probably incredibly swollen and damaged as well from contracting before it was fully dilated. Yes you were a week past your due date, but isn't the idea of due date a guideline? Was not having to wait until she came worth the traumatic experience that labour was for you? It seems silly that we expect every pregnancy to end within a two week range (38-40), especially when they might not even have judged the time of conception properly. And not every baby is ready to be born at the same time. Why not just trust that your body knows the right time?

/end rant
smiles.gif

P.S. That was totally not directed at you so much as the level of unnecessary medical interference in labour nowadays.

jdechant

Quote:
I guess my point is, why did you get induced? Basically being induced meant that you were contracting for 19 hours before your water broke. And so you had a lot of damage as far as tearing, etc, and your cervix was probably incredibly swollen and damaged as well from contracting before it was fully dilated. Yes you were a week past your due date, but isn't the idea of due date a guideline? Was not having to wait until she came worth the traumatic experience that labour was for you? It seems silly that we expect every pregnancy to end within a two week range (38-40), especially when they might not even have judged the time of conception properly. And not every baby is ready to be born at the same time. Why not just trust that your body knows the right time?

/end rant
smiles.gif

P.S. That was totally not directed at you so much as the level of unnecessary medical interference in labour nowadays.

Yah I hear you! When it comes to doctors and how things SHOULD be done to opposed to how things are done...especially here..basically its their way or the highway. For the past few years, we have had maybe three doctors in this town where we should have at least 6. You cannot walk into the clinic if you are sick, you must make an appt. which usually ranges a month. So when it comes to giving birth and them delivering your child, they kinda set the rules to their calender..like, "oh well..you can't have it thursday cause that's tv night, and friday is the beginning of the weekend, so we will induce you on tuesday" lol..sounds strange but It's true!....boo to healthcare in Alberta..lol. But don't get me wrong, I'm not getting too picky, because I know that we have an advantage to health care as opposed to other areas. I've talked to people who have birthed naturally for one child and got induced for the other, sounds like the natural is alot better and less painful.

M.A.C. head.

Quote:

/end rant
smiles.gif

110% agreed.

I wanted things to go as naturally as possible with my daughter and it went COMPLETELY opposite. I wish that I would have stood up for us more, gone with what I thought was right. But I had a lot of information being thrown at me, opinions, "facts"; I shouldn't have listened. My daughter was born perfect in every way, and she still is, so I can't really complain; but for the next one, and the ones after that, I'm FIGHTIN' THE POWER!

Lapis

Ratmist I'm so glad you are ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuuipo
I work postpartum. More than 9 out of 10 natural deliveries involve somme sort of laceration and tearing in the periurethral area during delivery. We don;t do many episiotomies anymore, just repairs of the tears. You can't do that at home. Also, there is risk of hematoma, nuchal cord around the baby and post partum hemorrage.

Here a homebirth midwife can deal with tears and most emergencies that occur at births, I almost had a home birth with my second until I met her back up doc who had a respect problem, the midwife would have had pit and other emergency supplies to care for rips/tears, mother or baby not breathing, shoulder dystocia, pp hemorrhage and the like, she was very well prepared according to state laws.

PS your hospital may not do espis but that's not the norm it seems, quite a few of the women who birthed at the same hospital as me with OB's had them, as well as several moms on a forum I belonged to who were due the same time I was.

kaexbabey

Quote:

/end rant
smiles.gif

i completely agree with this too! they say the normal time span for babies is from 38-42/43 weeks. also i forgot to add in my last post that with an epidural i was pushing 2 hours cuz i couldnt feel ANYTHING. didnt know where to push or even when i had a contraction. w/ the second when i didnt have it, seriously 3 minutes was all it felt like and my baby plopped out! lol.

Nox

I am a very big proponent of home births. And this is after witnessing some of the most spectacular experiences that are possible to have in the comfort of your own home. When it comes to that time for myself, I should hope that mine and my baby's health is good enough to go through with it.

I had a side job as a doula's assistant for a short while before I moved out of state. I found the experience to be surprisingly uplifting and reassuring. The female body does an absolutely astounding job in what it was designed to do.

But I would absolutely advise that people know the pros and cons, get full work-ups and get checked out medically even up to the day of the birth just to make sure everything is alright. Just because there is not the bustle, noise, and discomfort of a hospital setting, it doesn't mean it's a cakewalk to birth at home either.

Congratulations to Asia and her beautiful baby.

xxAngelxx

I think its so awesome that some women choose to do a home birth, or even go to the hospital but refuse drugs and other medical interventions. I personally feel safer at the hospital but I had a midwife and refused any drugs. Thank God, I had a good labor, just a little bit of shoulder dystocia. But HOORAY to ALL women who give birth. It sure as hell isn't always easy!

MissMochaXOXO

wow! that last picture is crazy. her hand is still covered in blood, the babys still attached to her, and shes giving a thumbs up!