Avoiding stained nails

Jai

Does anyone have any recommendations for avoiding staining from nail polish? I haven't worn any for months, so my nails have grown through nice and non-yellow, but I really want to start wearing it again- I'm particularly bad for dark colours/black (I like how it looks against my fretboard/piano keys, which probably makes me quite sad), but then I'm sure I've had them stained even through wearing light colours in the past. Anyway, I was thinking of trying a coat of base coat (I always wear some type of base) and then a coat of ridge filler, but I'm still worried that I'm going to wreck them again. Does anyone know any really good bases that actually work? I'm in the UK, but I'd order internationally if I had to.

Btw, I have tried buffing stains off in the past, but I don't find that it shifts them very well (also had a slight 'accident' a few years ago when I forgot that nails are finite (obviously), and just kept buffing them whenever I painted them- until one day I realised they were getting paper thin).
th_rolleye0014.gif

mistella

I use Yellow-out. I think it's called. it has a yellow top. it forms a layer. if you actually put your hands under hot water (like when you shower) you can peel off the polish in one piece so it protects your nails very well

MAC_Pixie04

Always use a basecoat, and avoid nail polishes that have formaldehyde, it plays a big part in the staining. However the lack of formaldehyde doesn't do anything for the longevity of the color, so layer a good topcoat over it.

MiCHiE

Good basecoat and avoid wearing colors for long periods of time. The staining has a lot to do with your nail condition. If they're dry and porous, they'll stain, especially with dark colors. Frequent use of polish removers strips them, also. So, no more than once a week removing color.

kuuip021

I use Sticky as a base coat (Creative Nail Design) and then use Super Shiny (Creative Nail Design) for top coat. Chips and cracks happen because these products actually work.

CND products are sold all throughout the UK so I'm pretty sure you can find them. =D

ginger9

Definitely base coat. I'm cheap and lazy so I just grab my clear top coat as a substitute, as long as I don't get staining.

Another tip I have is give your nails rest in between. They turn yellow because they need to breathe. If you wear colour after colour they'll turn no matter what you do. Also when the polish starts to chip beyond the point of looking fresh I remove it all immediately. I used to kinda leave it and let it fade on its own but again, that's not good for the nails. They need to breathe. HTH
smiles.gif