Bare Canvas Application Nightmare! Please Help!

Sparklevixen81

I am new here and I bought bare canvas paint today as a base for eyeshadow. I had a synthetic/nylon brush that I put it on and first it balled up and then I put it on and it was really thick and dried all splotchy and chalky. What am I doing wrong and how I can I get an even not chalky look? thanks!

Jess-ee-ka

I have bare canvas paint and I use it all the time. I find the easiest application is just with my fingers. I can get it as thin or as thick as I want and my fingers warm it up so its easier to apply. Other than that, have you tried the concealer brush??? I'm not sure what number it is, maybe you have tried it
smiles.gif
Let me know how it goes

Sparklevixen81

Thank you so much for your help! After I read this I went back and did one eye using my finger and the other with the concealer brush I have. You are right, the finger application works the best, not chalky or thick, just right! Thanks again!

Isis

I think maybe it was because you were using a synthetic hair brush. I apply mine with a natural hair brush and don't have any trouble at all.
I'm glad you found a solution though
smiles.gif

Jess-ee-ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklevixen81
Thank you so much for your help! After I read this I went back and did one eye using my finger and the other with the concealer brush I have. You are right, the finger application works the best, not chalky or thick, just right! Thanks again!

Oh I'm so glad it worked for you!!!! I'm brilliant *giving myself a pat on the back* Teehee

maianne

I actually found the opposite.... too chalky-looking when I used my fingers. What I do is dispense a *very small* amount of paint onto the back of my hand, lay my 242 brush onto it, and press it down and wiggle a little to "melt" the paint onto my brush (the heat of my hand warms it up perfectly so it doesn't ball up). Then I apply it to my eyelid using short, quick strokes. I find that gets me the most even and blended finish. I also hear 217 is great for paints - natural bristles as opposed to 242's synthetic (but 242 works great for me so I'll stick with it).

The very first time I used Bare Canvas with a brush, I squeezed out a little too much product and tried to use it all up, not wanting to be wasteful - that's when it looked really chalky and thick and splotchy - maybe that's what happened to you, too... who knows? If you start with a really small amount, you can always add to it, which is obviously much easier than trying to undo overapplication. Anyway, it's another thing to consider. HTH!!
smiles.gif

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess-ee-ka
I have bare canvas paint and I use it all the time. I find the easiest application is just with my fingers. I can get it as thin or as thick as I want and my fingers warm it up so its easier to apply. Other than that, have you tried the concealer brush??? I'm not sure what number it is, maybe you have tried it
smiles.gif
Let me know how it goes

I 2nd this application method! My fingers always do the best job when it comes to paints and I apply it very thin. I have found that thick applications of the paint don't work well for my oily lids.

Jennifer Mcfly

I vary between using my finger or the 242 brush. When I want a light layer I use my finger and when I want just a little more I use the brush.

Sparklevixen81

thanks everyone for the help! I am going to stick to using my finger to put it on. That way i can control the product more. I still get a little clumping but not too bad. Does anyone know what causing this?

scrapbookromance

sometimes my paints go on unevenly when I use more than I need but try to use it so it doesn't go to waste. when it seems like a lot, or it gets funky, I take another clean finger and blend it a bit more and it starts working out

Jess-ee-ka

I used to put foundation and then powder on my eyelids so that my makeup wouldn't crease but when I started using the paints I found that the powder dried the paint too much, causing the "balling". i don't know if thats what you're doing. Also, maybe you have dry sensitive skin on your eyelids. Just a few possible causes for ya.

MACGoddess

I will do a combo move... I put a teeny bit on my fingertip then tap it all over the lid (kinda sloppily) then I will take a small synthetic brush I have and blend it all out and make sure it is well covered and even. Perfect every time!

misspresh

I put mine on with my fingers and it's fine. I don't really get paints though - they stay too wet on my eyelid, do you know what I mean? I thought the point was to dry so I could use it as a base for other shadows.
ssad.gif

Midgard

That's really funny, how different products on people are! I had problems with paints using my fingers, now I apply them with 249 brush and love them!

Latest posts