Beauty Books for technique?

Hawkeye

*hides* I didnt even really like Kevin Aucoins books.

I like it when people are able to tell me exactly what they used on models, then how they did it.

All kevins told me (IN MY OPINION ONLY) was use a medium flat brown to put in the crease etc etc etc...

I mean I wanted him to say, " On this face I used MAC, NARS, etc etc and what colors and how he applied it with what brush a picture of the brush etc.

NARS had a book out that did that. It was OK.

midnightlouise

I heard that the Bobbi Brown book was pretty good, but I haven't read it yet. I'm trying to get it from the library
blush-anim-cl.gif

another_mac_addict

The Body Shop's makeup book is alright if you're starting out, but I thought Aucoin's books were much more helpful. To tell you the truth, after I got the basics down, I stopped finding makeup books especially useful. Magazines occasionally have cool makeup (not necessarily in makeup articles, often in ads)...These days I look for inspiration online; as you can see here on Specktra there are some amazing artists around. If you don't already do this, I also recommend looking for inspiration in non-makeup related things. Good luck!

TrusyMyEyes

I am looking for a book, that will help me in terms of working with photography. Like what in make up is bad for when taking pictures, so that I can choose certain shadow finishes that will be better for film/photography etc..or which foundation should I choose when working in photography compared to every day life..

I bout IMANs book its actually pretty good. Except they don't have exact colors etc..but it is more specific than kevyns.

Dreamergirl3

Some makeup books I absolutely LOVE: IMANs Beauty of Color, Makeup Makeovers by Robert Jones, The Body Shop: Make-Up:Fresh Ideas for Fantastic Looks, NARS Makeup Your Mind, Makeup: The Art of Beauty by Linda Mason,
Unforgettable Color: Revlon Makeup with Confidence by Selene Milano, The Make-up Book: Every Woman's Guide to the Art of Applying Make-Up by Joy Terri.
Whew! Quite a list, I know, but those are all the books that have really helped me, even if some are out of date...HTH!

Eye<3Colour

the book Vogue Makeup is awsome imo. it has details on what to use for photos also. i should of picked it up, but instead i sat there and read it in the bookstore. now i wish i would of gotten it. it was only 12 bucks...

jess98765

for beatuy tips and techniques most high fashion magazines have a section on beauty in it! so anything from vogue to cosmopolitian usually have beauty sections
smiles.gif

asnbrb

i just flipped through the Iman book today and it seemed helpful as in ideas, but it was in the same layout as the Aucoin book as in the "matte brown, plum liner" rather than saying the name of it. Iman's one was also kind of identical to Aucoin's except every model was some sort of minority.

According to one of the Aucoin books, they do the makeup descriptions rather than stating the name of the product so they're not advertising for any particular brand (this was before the Kevyn Aucoin makeup came out). I think it's a good idea so you can keep an eye out for brands you prefer-- maybe you prefer drugstore over department store. Also, makeup becomes limited/discontinued/obselete all the time-- like MAC.

I flipped through quickly, so I don't know if it addresses any problems that are "colored" to begin with. I know that there was one book at Borders that claimed to address "Asian makeup" and NOWHERE did I see anything about having no crease.

stacey

i don't really like the body shop book.. it didn't appeal to me as much as kevin's books. i like the vouge book.

joytheobscure

I had - (can't find it after two moves) but it is a makeup book by the guy who did the royal's makeup -i.e. Princess Diana- I really liked that book - his big tip was if you have blue eyes use blue liner- and neutrals- I have green eyes and I still stick to green liners and browns a lot. But I don't know the name of the book- It was very early 90s though and probably out of date now. :)

TrusyMyEyes

Well, I am going to place kevins books into my budget for building my make up kit..and skills..i really liked imans book...because I felt it was more detailed..I am a minority so I guess all the minorities in the book didn't fade me..especially since some of them were white light..so I don't think the race was a factor for me.

Latest posts