Best way to apply liquid foundations?

_trimm_trabb

Hello, I'm new here, though I've been using MAC for a while. I am curious though, what do you guys think is the best way to apply a liquid foundation like Studio Tech? A foundation brush, a cosmetic sponge, etc? Also, what brushes do you guys think are best for getting your foundation to blend well? I've always just used cosmetic wedges but I'm thinking about using a brush and I wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks so much!

ledonatella

I swear by the MAC Foundation Brush, it's amazing. I use it on my clients because it blends everything perfectly, I usually don't use sponges because you tend to waste product with them, although they are nice in a pinch and good for travel.

morgasm

with me, and with most people, I apply my moisturizer and then wait ten minutes. After the ten minutes, I apply liquid foundation in circular motions with the MAC 187 brush.

Raerae

Yup... Moisturise...

i put a little dot of Studio Fix Fluid on my palette, and then Spritz some Fix+ on my 187. Then just using the tips of the 187 I put a little bit on each cheek, chin, bridge of nose and forhead. Then buff it in with the 187 in circular motions making sure to get a light even application.

Then i grab my 182 and go for my Studio Fix powder to set the foundation, and buff that in with more circles.

Wax on! Wax off!

lol...

Then its MSF's and Blushes depending on my mood and how I want my skin to look. I generally apply those with the 187 as well for better control on application since it's easier to put more on than to take it off. And then back to the 182 to buff in the edges of the MSF's and blushes. The back to the fix+, with a very light mist on my face to finish it up.

All in all takes about 10-15 minutes from start to finish for face makeup.

Edit: I used to do this all with the 187 (amazing brush) but the 182 is SO much better for buffing, and my face makeup has never looked better.

bellaetoile

do NOT use sponges on studio tech. you'll go through the product in like, two weeks, since sponges waste SO much of the foundation. i use my 190 foundation brush for studio tech, using just a little at a time, because you can blend it out, and make a little go a long way.

generally, my routine is:
moisturize after washing my face.
let moisturizer soak in for at least 10 minutes, while doing my eye makeup.
clean up fallout under eye with makeup remover.
prep and prime face allover skin.
apply foundation, always with a brush, though i alternate between the 187 and 190, depending on product.
cheek color/MSFs/bronzer/contour.
light dusting of loose blot powder.
couple sprays of fix+.

basically the only way i ever apply foundation is with a brush. the actual brush varies, but i hate latex wedges (so much wasted product, and they get SO gross after one use), and fingers is so messy. brushes blend really well, and you can clean them between uses.

xbuttonsx

I don't use Liquid, but when I went to a MAC releasing party they used the 187 and it looked great :]

jessiekins1

i used a throughly damp(not dripping) sponge to apply my liquid foundation. a wet sponge will absorb less of the foundation therefore you waste less product.

for concealer, i use a brush.

for powder i use a brush as well.

llucidity

Basically, I tap liquid foundation all over my skin and use 187 in a circular motion. I used to use wedge sponges but I felt that they seems to harbor bacteria even though I threw them away after 4 uses. Also, they didn't give me a particularly flawless finish the way 187 does. In case anyone is wondering, I clean my 187 after every use. I'm just psycho about hygiene.

maxcat

190 for almost everything ... and they only sell them at the pro shop but the 180 (looks like a shaving brush with white bristles) does the most amazing job of studio fix fluid - I use it to actually put the product on the face. I don't find the 187 stiff enough for the job.
And the brush is totally worth the investment. Sponges just hoover the stuff up and don't actually do a great job of putting it down on your face.

stillsoawesome

I just bought the 190 brush a week ago and I am in love! It's just so much neater then anything else and it really does make a little go a loooong way!

lara

Anything liquid = use a brush.
Anything creamy = use a brush or a sponge.

Sponges are too thirsty for liquid foundations, stick with the brushes unless money is no object...
lol.gif

Jennifer Mcfly

almost always, i have to use the 180 buffer after liquid foundation. whether i've used a foundation brush or the 187 brush. so now i just use my fingers like i'm applying moisturizer, then buff out with the 180 brush and it looks great everytime!!

kimmy

i wouldn't recommend using a spnge of any kind because they're porous and drink up the foundation like nobody's business so you end up having to use like twice as much product as you would with a brush.

i use a round brush with a flat end, the label said it was a blush brush...but it works wonders with MAC SFF which is what i use. it helps you buff it out really well. then i use a kabuki brush sometimes to finish the buffing
smiles.gif

Latest posts