Brunette to Blond advise???

MACreation

Please help here!! I wanna go blond...maybe honey blond, but i need expertise, experiences, ideas. ETC. to help me with my decision..also if u have question for me, ask away.....it's GREATLY appreciated!!!

ms.marymac

I am not trying to be a smart ass, but go to a professional that you trust. Miss Clairol can be an evil lady! I have just seen too many girls come into were I used to work that were unhappy with box color (5 1/2 years salon experience).

Then again, it may come out beautiful, but just be careful. You need to think about what you are starting with (how dark or light), what your hair has been through (color on it, lots of stylng with blowdryers or flatirons), etc. Since you are going lighter, it will probably need to be toned. Important little details!

Good luck!
th_wink3.gif

canadiangirl_1117

Definetley go to a salon, someone you really trust. I've gone blond twice, once bottle and once salon. Bottle blond turned ORANGE on me. The salon blond turned out a nice caramelly blond, very shiney and no orange. But it also depends on how dark your hair is now and how light you want to go. My hair is naturally quite dark brown, and chemically treated, so it needs a bit of extra care with blond.

Good luck!

Cyn

Definitely go to a salon if you can, it's so much easier to deal with. I'm finally getting some caramel highlights done in a real salon after doing all sorts of interesting looks with my hair (in a good way). However, it can be less expensive to do it yourself, although I would say that it is definitely more exhausting.

Off the top of my head, I used a level 40 bottle rather than the typical level 20 or even 30 for my hair. I mixed that with a "blue" powder, which takes some of the brassiness away. Then I applied to my hair, applying to the ends all the way to the roots because I have a "hot" head. I notice that using some heat helps as well.

You usually have to do it twice to get it to a light blonde, but you can get it pretty pale on the first go. I wouldn't suggest doing any of this if your hair is damaged though.

Do I ramble or what?

MACreation

oh wow thanks all u girlies! i'm def and have always thought to..go to a professional, definally do not trust myself as far as i can jump...hehe.....i'll write back on a msg when and if i really do this
smiles.gif

shiann_2003

i would have to agree with the salon thing, thats what i did
i went from a med brown to a light blond brown with blond highlights and it turned out great, the (paul mitchell hair color is what she used)

be sure to use a good color shampoo and cond*
one with the first ingr NOT being water

ruby_soho

I'd also say go to a salon, but box dyes can work out alright, I've done tons. Usually when girls try to go blond, they say that their hair turned orange and brassy. Thats because they checked up on their hair colour, freaked out that it was orange, and rinsed it off right away. The hair goes orange in the lightening process because if you're going from brown to blond, you'll go through brown, light brown, red, orange, blond. If its orange, the dye isnt finished processing so it should be left on longer. Unless your hair is breaking off in your hands that is...

chocula

Go to a salon and try highlights first. I went from burgundy red to blonde 6 months ago. By just highlighting as a start, it gave me an idea as to whether or not I even liked the blonde, could deal with the change in hair care, etc.

MACreation

You girls are so sweet for all this info and advise, thank you so much! wel, i really love jessica alba's honey blond color..i am still wondering if i should wait till fall, so my hair won;t be in the sun and heat and totally damaging my hair