Camera recommendation

tara_hearts

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread for this but I didn't know where else to ask. I'm going to be purchasing a new camera this christmas, and I found a canon powershot model SD870IS for $349 at best buy. I wanted to know if this is a good camera, or if there is a better camera out there for that price. Thanks a lot! Tara

jenee.sum

i have a canon myself...SD630, and it's my baby! got it last yr and i loOOoOoove it! canons are amazing quality and are one of the best out there, if not THE best.

i don't know too much about cameras, but while i was shopping for mine...i looked around, and was debating over a canon or sony. they are at the top of the line, but a dude at Blacks (i think) told me that while canon and sony cameras take relatively same quality pics, the body of the canons are much better and sturdier. A lot of sony ones he said have quite a bit of plastic in their body, so they tend to be lighter and not as good quality as canon bodies. i've held sony's and canon's...and i do feel the difference in weight and canon's definitely feel better in quality. it's like a brick. really nice brick
tong.gif
so that's my opinion on canon cameras.
plus most of my friends who have shopped for cameras have canons and never regret getting a canon. one of my friends got a nice 3" touch screen sony a while ago and then wished she had gotten a canon after lookin at mine. hehe so
thmbup.gif
to canon!

u won't regret it! but i say get the SILVER version of ur SD870 IS! hate the black on silver! tacky!

jenii

I have a Powershot S3-IS. I like it.

My pictures don't always come out well, but I think that's more down to my lack of skill/practice with the camera. I've had it a year and a half now, but I don't take it lots of places, so I don't get much practice with the features and modes and such.

glamdoll

I absolutly love my Canon powershot a560 its only $150 on Bestbuy.com or Instore as well. There is a newer model if you wanna shell out the bucks for it the Canon powershot a570. If you want pic reference you can look at my fotd's it catches makeup in good detail and its a good point n shoot as well for any occassion! HTH.
smiles.gif

tara_hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KT*
http://www.dcresource.com/

This is a good site too. The guy takes the same pictures with multiple cameras... good for side-by-side comparisons.

Awesome. I'm stoked. How many more days till Christmas? Mac and a camera
th_DANCE.gif

*KT*

For a small camera, I have the Canon PowerShot 620. It's a couple years old now, so there's a more current version out there I'm sure. Compared to the other small digitals out there, it blows the others out of the water for quality and price.

The only reason I would choose anything else would be if you want one that could fit into a wristlet purse.

I used the link I posted above to choose this camera. The only thing it hasn't been wonderful for is action type shots (ie my puppydogs running & wrestling) and part of that may be my own laziness leaving it on "auto" mode.

tara_hearts

Wow, thanks so much everyone. I had no idea about all the awesome review sites... I was just looking at them on best buy!! And I know virtually nothing about cameras, so seeing what rating the professionals gave the cameras is very useful. I appreciate all the feedback. Hopefully around christmas y'all will be seeing alot better pictures from me (and hopefully better makeup too) haha

tara_hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickih
i have the Canon SD750, and the pictures are really really good.

Good, the picture quality of all the canons I've researched seem to be really good. So I pretty much can't go wrong.