Color Placement Tips

MizzMAC

Hi!

I was wondering some good color placement tips if anyone has some?

Whenever I use two or more colors I sometimes get the muddy look when blended.

Anyone have tips or tuts for applying two color to say the lid and blending so it doesn't look EW!

Thanks!

Fairybelle

There are some great step-by-step photos in the 'Tutorials' section of this website, so you might find some inspiration there.

As for my suggestion: Start off with a good eyecolor base to prime the eyelid. Some to try are Paints, CCB's, Shadesticks, and Prep & Prime Eye. Bare Canvas is a 'cult' favorite on this website, and I do agree it is the color I go to most for a good neutral base without shimmer.
To avoid muddiness, try not to layer your colors too much except at the point where they meet. For example, if you are to use a light color such as Shroom, and a dark color such as Mulch, apply the Shroom first, on browbone down to crease, and down in front of eyes for highlight. THEN take your Mulch, and put on lid up to the crease (wing out a little on the outer edges of eyes for a more smokey cat eye effect that is still subtle). Only blend where the two meet, using a clean brush and a couple of light quick brushstrokes. Wipe brush on a towel lightly to shake off color, and do the same to the other side. Don't let the brush go too far into the Mulch, or else you will drag excess dark color into your highlight and thus cause muddiness. Try this a few times for practice on the back of your hand, till you get a light enough hand with your brush to only blend where the colors meet. In time, you will even get a hand enough to apply a third, or fourth color (or more!) with well-blended results.

nup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairybelle
There are some great step-by-step photos in the 'Tutorials' section of this website, so you might find some inspiration there.

As for my suggestion: Start off with a good eyecolor base to prime the eyelid. Some to try are Paints, CCB's, Shadesticks, and Prep & Prime Eye. Bare Canvas is a 'cult' favorite on this website, and I do agree it is the color I go to most for a good neutral base without shimmer.
To avoid muddiness, try not to layer your colors too much except at the point where they meet. For example, if you are to use a light color such as Shroom, and a dark color such as Mulch, apply the Shroom first, on browbone down to crease, and down in front of eyes for highlight. THEN take your Mulch, and put on lid up to the crease (wing out a little on the outer edges of eyes for a more smokey cat eye effect that is still subtle). Only blend where the two meet, using a clean brush and a couple of light quick brushstrokes. Wipe brush on a towel lightly to shake off color, and do the same to the other side. Don't let the brush go too far into the Mulch, or else you will drag excess dark color into your highlight and thus cause muddiness. Try this a few times for practice on the back of your hand, till you get a light enough hand with your brush to only blend where the colors meet. In time, you will even get a hand enough to apply a third, or fourth color (or more!) with well-blended results.

Aewsome advise in here! Thanks for this too
smiles.gif

MizzMAC

Thank You Very Much for the Advice
smiles.gif

Sorry it's taken me so long to see this.

Any brush recommendations for several color app?

tanni

When I'm blending a bunch of colors on my eyes, the fluffy shader brushes in sizes large and small help a great deal. They make the colors look soft (as opposed to a defined line across the lashline). You can also buy a brush that's soley designed to blend colors. (MAC has a few different ones.) Although, using a large eyeshadow fluffy brush will do fine as well, if you don't want to purchase a blending brush.

Little tip: If you are going to try a blending brush, make sure the tips of the hairs are soft. I've bought blending brushes without touching them first (online) and they turned out to be coarse and rather than blending the colors, it scraped them up... and also irriated my eyelids. (That was a brush from e.l.f) hth

MizzMAC

I have several good blending brushes but still have problems using several colors. This morning I tried Entremauve and Kitschmas. It turned a completely other color. I was trying for Kitschmas on the inner eye and Entremauve on the outer eye but...didn't work
winks.gif

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDarcy
I have several good blending brushes but still have problems using several colors. This morning I tried Entremauve and Kitschmas. It turned a completely other color. I was trying for Kitschmas on the inner eye and Entremauve on the outer eye but...didn't work
winks.gif

Try to blend only where they meet. I try to blend tiny swirls. It does take practice.. make sure you start with clean brushes as this can cause muddiness if they still have other shadows in them.

MiCHiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
Try to blend only where they meet. I try to blend tiny swirls. It does take practice.. make sure you start with clean brushes as this can cause muddiness if they still have other shadows in them.

:nod: ITA. You could also overlap the colors a bit and just blend ever so slightly with a light hand. That's a little easier. You can always blend more if you'd like, but do a little at a time, back off and take a look.

MizzMAC

Thanks for all your help girls!

I think I did it somewhat well this morning! I'll post a picture later on tonight and show you! Maybe you can tell me what you all think!

I think maybe my problem is also I pick colors that don't do a good job blending together or complimenting each other.

This morning I used a Two Faced Shadow Duo that worked great! It didn't come out perfectly but it did come out somewhat well! I also find that using a sponge applicator to apply on my lid works well for packing color on!

This was one I tried with Melon Pigment and UD Heat Shadow. I think it came out ok? But it does seem to look like I am wearing one color instead of the two!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...09_500x375.jpg
http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...15_500x375.jpg

(I don't know if I'm allowed to post pics outside of the FOTD thread so I just posted a link)