Completely new to MAC - recommend me a "palette"?

Amy_19

Hi...bit of a MAC virgin here!
newhere.gif

By "palette" I mean any range of products/colours which would suit my complexion - primarily lipsticks and eyeshadow shades.

My first (and to date only) MAC purchase has been some Studio Fix Fluid in NC15 - I love it and it matches my skin perfectly, which was a bit of a miracle because I was really struggling to find foundation anywhere that was pale enough! So, with the exception of foundation:

Eyeshadows - I have black hair and dark brown eyes. I'd like some nice neutral shades for daywear (peach, beige, gold) - and some more dramatic ones for the evening (light browns, purples, greens). Purple is a great colour but one that I find really difficult to get right when it comes to shades - sometimes I pick too light and end up looking like a clown, and sometimes too dark which makes my eyes look small and isn't vibrant enough. I also find green almost impossible to get right.

Lipsticks - I'm a major lipstick fan. Think something akin to a much less attractive Dita Von Teese & you'll get a sense of my overall look, but I'm so overwhelmed by the choice on the MAC site I'm not sure what to go for. I think "Capricious" is closest to my natural lip colour - can you suggest anything more daring that won't look garish?

silentstorm143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_19
newhere.gif

Eyeshadows - I have black hair and dark brown eyes. I'd like some nice neutral shades for daywear (peach, beige, gold) - and some more dramatic ones for the evening (light browns, purples, greens). Purple is a great colour but one that I find really difficult to get right when it comes to shades - sometimes I pick too light and end up looking like a clown, and sometimes too dark which makes my eyes look small and isn't vibrant enough. I also find green almost impossible to get right.

th_welcomeemoticonsign.gif
I have only been into make for maybe 8 months but some of the colors I love are
Blues: Freshwater and moon reflection
Purples: Satellite dreams- I find takes some work but comes together rather nicely, parfait amour, beautiful iris
Greens: so hard I love greens- Humid, lucky green is a must or me, Juxt, steamy and if you can get your hands on it before it sells out the new Sassy grass from the dare to wear collection
Browns/Neutrals: I don't own to many but wedge, espresso, gorgeous gold, scene or copperplate - a lot of people might recommend Satin taupe I do own it and think it is a gorgeous color but on my skin tone and with my dark circles I don't like it it does not suit me, expensive pink.
Depending on how bold you are: Stars and rockets
HTH have fun discovering MAC I know I am
smiles.gif

LC

I think you're really limiting yourself in the eyeshadow department. At mac we were taught that any shade can work on any skin type, it's just a matter of how you apply it. The colors on the mac site are not true to their real color, so I think your best bet is to just go in and say I've heard great things about mac, and all I own of mac's is one foundation, and I really want to get my makeup collection started, and have them do a demo on you. Also i think when they do, you should pick a couple colors that you'd never normally pick for your skintype, and watch how the artist makes it work for you.

I also think lipsticks are something you just need to try on

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy_19
newhere.gif

By "palette" I mean any range of products/colours which would suit my complexion - primarily lipsticks and eyeshadow shades.

My first (and to date only) MAC purchase has been some Studio Fix Fluid in NC15 - I love it and it matches my skin perfectly, which was a bit of a miracle because I was really struggling to find foundation anywhere that was pale enough! So, with the exception of foundation:

Lipsticks - I'm a major lipstick fan. Think something akin to a much less attractive Dita Von Teese & you'll get a sense of my overall look, but I'm so overwhelmed by the choice on the MAC site I'm not sure what to go for. I think "Capricious" is closest to my natural lip colour - can you suggest anything more daring that won't look garish?

Okay sweetie pie, why don't we start with what colors do you think look best on your eyes. I think they are too many choices to narrow down a palette without doing that first. Have you been foundation matched? Are you cool toned or warm toned skin? Do you gravitate towards cool or warm tones? IF you are not sure, can you post a pic? If not, describing a Dita complexion, I am imagining you are very pale and a natural blonde who has gone black brunette with cool tones--am I right here?

Do you want recs just for neutral e/s or for purples or a palette of each?

Help us give you more specific recs...

LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by martiangurll
Okay sweetie pie, why don't we start with what colors do you think look best on your eyes. I think they are too many choices to narrow down a palette without doing that first. Have you been foundation matched? Are you cool toned or warm toned skin? Do you gravitate towards cool or warm tones? IF you are not sure, can you post a pic? If not, describing a Dita complexion, I am imagining you are very pale and a natural blonde who has gone black brunette with cool tones--am I right here?

Do you want recs just for neutral e/s or for purples or a palette of each?

Help us give you more specific recs...

hey, she mentioned she's an nc15 and has black hair and dark brown eyes

martiangurll

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC
hey, she mentioned she's an nc15 and has black hair and dark brown eyes

I missed the nc15, got he black hair and brown eyes. But there are still a lot of possibilities here. I think she could get more recs if she asked more specifically for purples or neutrals. Etc.

Neutrals: Embark, Soba, Jest, Hex, Shroom, Arena, Orb, Omega, Naked Lunch

Renee

Blanc Type, Soft Brown, Sketch, and Carbon...these colors look amazing together. I use Blanc Type all over, put Soft Brown in the crease and a little above, add Sketch in the crease, blended with the Soft Brown and then put Carbon in the outer crease. Still neutral but dramatic at the same time. HTH

Chrystia

I agree with LC. If possible, going into a MAC counter would be the best way to determine colours. A computer isn't going to have the same effect as a live product. Plus you can show the artist some of the colours you have tried and not liked.That way he/she can really pinpoint what colours are going to make you feel fabulous. However, if going into a counter isn't an option I did list a few ideas that popped in my mind based on your requests and your foundation shade.

For the day wear colours (peach, gold, beige): Arena, Tete a Tint, Soba, Woodwinked, Grain, All that Glitters, Motif, Wedge, Orb

For the evening colours: Satellite Dreams, Purple Haze, Greensmoke, Charcoal Brown, Mulch, Satin Taupe,

Lips: if you really are into the dita von teese red lip, I suggest Viva Glam I. Viva Glam VI is a good way to add colour to the lips.

Keep in mind with any colour in makeup. Like LC posted, anything can work on anyone. However if you are only used to seeing neutrals on yourself, that pop of green is going to look alarming the first few times you wear it. Try it out, you might be surprised how other people will respond to it even if you aren't sure yet. (ie. I wore Lickable lipstick today to work which is a strong bright fuschia pink today. I never wear pink l/s so I thought I looked a bit wierd, but everyone else LOVED it. I actually sold three Lickables today because people liked it so much) But if possible going into a MAC counter will really help because you can see all the colours displayed and see which ones you gravitate towards.