Could definately use some advice for pursuing an MA position

charli michelle

hi! I've been looking at this site for a while now and was hoping I could get a bit of advice. I just graduated with a theatre degree and have finally decided that a career in makeup and special effects is what I would love to do. while I was in school, I did makeup and special effects for the majority of our productions as well as quite a few film projects. right now, I'm doing makeup and special effects for my friend's production company. but one of these days it would be pretty cool to be paid for it ha. I'm a bit lost as to what steps to take to get into professional makeup and special effects. I've only found a few schools that I could get certified for special effects and I'm not sure what I should do to be qualified for a makeup artist position at mac or Sephora. although I've been doing makeup for years I don't technically have professional training.
Basically I'm just curious what steps I need to take, do I need licensing, do I need to go back to school, and where is the best company to start with?
thank you so much! any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been doing research like crazy but I'm still feeling super lost.

gildedangel

Welcome to Specktra! In general for being a MUA, you don't need a license, although taking a class in special effects makeup would probably be good to do. Be sure to check your local regulations though since you haven't listed where you live.

To qualify to work for Sephora or MAC or another counter, you don't need a license. You go in for an interview that typically involves doing makeup. There are a plethora of threads on this, so please feel free to use the search function to find what you are looking for.

Also, be sure to take pictures of the work you are doing at the production company!!!! While you are working for free at the moment, this is a GREAT time to start building a portfolio of your work in case you decide that you want to freelance in the future. The more variety you can stuff into that portfolio, the better!

charli michelle

thank you! I'm from Seattle, as far as I've found there isn't much for classes in this area but I have found a couple for special effects. the work I'm currently doing for the production company is special effects, is that something I should put in my portfolio for a company like Sephora or mac? I've been doing makeup on friends to build up my portfolio as far as glamour or bridal makeup and have some pictures from film and theatre, although most of that is stage makeup.
again thank you and I've been reading the interview threads like crazy. I'm just super nervous

gildedangel

I wouldn't put like, monster SFX makeup in a portfolio for Sephora or MAC, but if you have some stage looks that are more on the editorial side (like what you might see in a magazine); I don't see how that would hurt your portfolio. Definitely put in those bridal and glamour photos though, those will probably help you.

Don't be so nervous, just be confident in your abilities as an artist. :)

Honesty0410

I would add some of your fx makeup in there when applying to MAC. Around Halloween time, there are always people coming in to get crazy things done. Last year, I had a zombie, half-skeleton, etc. to do. Your fx background will come in handy. Not to sure about your region, but I work at a MAC Pro, and our trainers are all about theatrical certifications, just to have it on hand.