Could you go without buying anything for a year?

kaliraksha

Article comes from the following:
http://cbs5.com/consumer/local_story_003162333.html

SF Group Resolved To Buy Nothing For One Year

(AP) SAN FRANCISCO It began, as grand ideas often do, over a dinner – risotto, artisan cheese and wine. What would it be like, 10 environmentally conscious friends wondered as they discussed the state of the planet, to go a year without buying anything new?

Twelve months later, the results from their experiment in anti-consumption for 2006 are in: Staying 100 percent true to the goal proved both harder and easier than those who signed on expected.

And while broken vacuum cleaners and malfunctioning cell phones posed challenges, some of the group's original members say the self-imposed shopping sabbatical was so liberating that they've resolved to do it for another year.

“It started in a lighthearted way, but it is very serious,” said John Perry, 42, a father of two who works for a Silicon Valley technology company. “It is about being aware of the excesses of consumer culture and the fact we are drawing down our resources and making people miserable around the world.”

The pledge they half-jokingly named The Compact, after the Mayflower pilgrims, spread to other cities through the Internet and an appearance on the “Today” show.

As it turned out, The Compact was modest as far as economic boycotts go. Several cities in the United States and Europe have communities of “freegans,” people whose contempt for consumerism is so complete they eat food foraged from Dumpsters whenever possible, train hop and sleep in abandoned buildings on principle.

The San Francisco group, by contrast, exempted food, essential toiletries like toothpaste and shampoo, underwear and other purchases that fell under the categories of health and safety from their pledge.

But perhaps because its members included middle-class professionals who could afford to shop recreationally, their cause caught on. Nearly 3,000 people have joined a user group Perry set up on Yahoo so participants could swap goods and tips.

Besides thrift stores and garage sales, participants found a wealth of free or previously owned merchandise in online classifieds and sites where people post stuff they want to get rid of.

After going through an initial period of retail withdrawal, discovering just how easy it was to score pretty much anything with a little time and effort was an eye-opener, according to participants.

Rachel Kesel, 26, who works as a dog walker, said she was astonished by how often the items she needed simply materialized – the friend who offered a bicycle seat when hers was stolen, the Apple store employees who fixed her laptop at no cost.

Similarly fortuitous timing happened often enough that group members came up with a name for it – “Compact Karma.”

After postponing purchases such as a new wind breaker and a different stud for her pierced tongue – she couldn't bring herself to buy a used one – Kesel broke down only twice.

Once was when she was planning a trip to Israel and couldn't find a used guidebook that reflected current political realities. The other was after her commuter coffee cup suffered a fatal crack.

“I really found a lot of times there were things I thought I needed that I don't need that much,” she said.

The pledge provided unexpected dividends as well, such as the joy of getting reacquainted with the local library and paying down credit cards. Gone, too, was the hangover of buyer's remorse.

Perry got satisfaction out of finding he had a knack for fixing things and how often manufacturers were willing to send replacement parts and manuals for products that had long since outlived their warranties.

“One of the byproducts of The Compact has been I have a completely different relationship with the things in my life. I appreciate the stuff I have more,” he said. “I don't think I need to buy another pair of shoes until I'm entering Leisure World.”

Over the holidays, Compact members gave homemade gifts or charitable donations in a recipients name instead of engaging in the usual Grinch-making shopping crush. Kate Boyd, 45, a set designer and high school drama teacher, visited a new downtown shopping mall and felt like she had just stepped off a flying saucer.

“It was all stuff that had nothing to do with me, yet for so many people that's how they spend their weekends,” she said. “It's entertainment and it is the opposite of where I've been for a year.”

Now that they know they can do it, Boyd, Kesel and Perry are ready to extend the pledge into 2007. But first, they plan to give themselves a one-day reprieve to stock up on essentials – windshield wipers, bicycle brakes and tongue studs.

stephbunny

hey that's really inspiring. i think i'm at a point in my makeup collection where I can cover basically ever color--even though it's still a realtively small collection. I'm going to focus on practing my technique rather than 'acquiring' the latest collection. So no more buying a variation of the same color/product anymore for me! (well, i'm gonna try really hard)...I actually made my own moth brown e/s the other day...I pressed a combination of an old L'Oreal loose shadow called "Native Spice" with Cargo's glitter in gold, a blue loose shadow, a lavender loose shadow, some Subtle piggie...and I think it think it looks great! It was lots of fun too...I went to the Barbie Day today at MAC preparing to buy the infamous Moth Brown, but realized that the homemade one I had sitting at home was just too close to the real thing to be spending $17 or so dollars on! So thanks all you guys & girls for posting pics and swatches, without them I wouldn't have been able to make my own Moth Brown! ^^

the same can go for my clothes...remember in high school when some people tried not to wear the same outfit twice? I think if i'm really creative, I could probably do that each season....I was kinda forced to do that this month simply becuase I have been so busy I didn't get around to do laundry for a month....and I still had more than enough clean clothes left.

So maybe if i cut back on the shopping part, and focus more on enjoying what I do have, my bank account will be much happier with me!

kaliraksha

Stephbunny, that's exactly what I am doing! I am working really hard on paying off any credit card debt and student loans so I'm learning to enjoy and rediscover what I do have. Cleaning out your closet and selling things on Ebay is actually a source of entertainment for me now, haha. I enjoy thinking that I can apply it to my credit cards and also finding items I had totally forgotten about.

spectrolite

Wow. I can barely go a day without buying something. The idea is great and it does seem like it would be very liberating but at this point I'm not ready to stop being a material girl...

I wonder what they are going to do with all of the money they have been saving?

Beauty Mark

I think it's somewhat of a good idea. If shopping consumes your life so much and you don't have the money to begin with, this is a good idea. However, I think not buying a new windshield, unless you don't drive that much, is an issue. I don't think you should be afraid to buy the necessities and indulge a little, but you should moderate the indulgences.

If you're interested in getting stuff for free, you may have a Freecycle in your area. http://www.freecycle.org. I've actually received decent stuff off the site.

sheaspearl83

I am on a no-buying any new lipglass and/or lipstick spree for the year. So far, I haven't bought any new lipglass or lipstick since Corpse de ballet and Danse only. I did buy Sweetness lipglass for my 8 year old daughter, her first, for Valentine's Day. I just looked at all the others.

SARAHluvsMAC

Interesting, I recently had a customer who came to buy her year's supply of MAC all at one time with her tax return so that she doesn't give in to impulse buys and buy stuff she doesn't need when she goes to the store to replenish something

amoona

Ok I have heard about this group for a while now they've been on the local news a few times. It seems like its been more then a year of this lol.

I could never do that, nor would I ever want to try to do it. You only live once right? I figure I'm good with my finances, I'm not in debt, I save my money, I don't have children or a family to support ... it's all about me for now haha.

IslandGirl77

I dont' harldy buy stuff now. So I think I could do it. I have kids and a house and bills too, so it's not hard to not buy stuff when you have all those priorties.

tadzio79

It is inspiring, and if I decided not to be around here maybe I could do it, but my MAC addiction will not allow it, lol