Counterfeit Mac info/ double edged sword?

pumpkincat210

Do you ever think that the mac fakers visit this forum just to check out how we are distinguishing fake products from the real and then using the info to perfect their fakes?

I'm glad there is a place I can go to check out how far they've gotten counterfeiting, although its not a problem for me since i have several mac's i can go to easily. However, if i were to buy something i missed out on here, i would hate for it to be a fake.

I don't even know if this would make a difference in the long run, but maybe making it a little more difficult to see the counterfeit forum would deterr people from merely snooping around...sort of like the clearance bin..you must have a certain number of posts to trade/buy?

I would just hate to have them use the good info against us.

TISH1124

yes I am positive they do....Have you not seen the arguments that go on in those threads from Ebay sellers....LOL

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by TISH1127
yes I am positive they do....Have you not seen the arguments that go on in those threads from Ebay sellers....LOL

Ahh, I've seen one, but i haven't read through all the threads. i had no idea what a big business counterfeit cosmetics was until i googled the topic.

Jacks_Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
I don't even know if this would make a difference in the long run, but maybe making it a little more difficult to see the counterfeit forum would deterr people from merely snooping around...sort of like the clearance bin..you must have a certain number of posts to trade/buy?

I would just hate to have them use the good info against us.

I'm only looking at it from my own point of view but had it not been for the counterfeit forum I wouldn't be here - I'm not casting aspersions on the quality of content but I'm not really a big make up user i'm new at it and had I not have been able to find information on these boards to help me weed out the fakes I'd bought I'd be wearing that junk hating it and stopped wanting to use the brand altogether and I'd have no need to want to stay here.

I was recommended to come here because the information was so thoroughly helpful otherwise I'd have probably just thrown my junk pigments in the bin and moved on. it might help counterfeiters in the short term but making it harder to find that information doesn't do the newer users any favours it just hinders.

sorry if I'm kinda ranty.

pumpkincat210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks_Echo
I'm only looking at it from my own point of view but had it not been for the counterfeit forum I wouldn't be here - I'm not casting aspersions on the quality of content but I'm not really a big make up user i'm new at it and had I not have been able to find information on these boards to help me weed out the fakes I'd bought I'd be wearing that junk hating it and stopped wanting to use the brand altogether and I'd have no need to want to stay here.

I was recommended to come here because the information was so thoroughly helpful otherwise I'd have probably just thrown my junk pigments in the bin and moved on. it might help counterfeiters in the short term but making it harder to find that information doesn't do the newer users any favours it just hinders.

sorry if I'm kinda ranty.

No, it's didn't come out ranty, it's just your opinion and that's what i wanted. If it is helping more people than hurting then go ahead full force with it! To my knowledge and research, this is the only site on the net that offers this large amount of info regarding forgeries in m.a.c. It just makes me angry that I can't buy on ebay anymore for hardly anything! The whole counterfeiting thing is so out of hand.

jrvt2

even though this info may help the producers of the fakes, it is likely that it wouldn't help the sellers. it is more important for us as consumers to become more aware of the fact that a)there are a lot of fakes out there and b)there are some sellers(quite a few on ebay but ioffer is worse) that would do anything to make a sale! i have ended up buying fakes off of ebay twice and both times i have had to threaten the seller with legal action to get my refund...it wasn't really the money, it was the principle of the thing. it really is buyer beware so threads like this are important for all buyers so they can identify fakes more readily.
winks.gif