Damn Spyware

Jessica

I have two antivirus programs, a firewall and a spyware thingy and when I run spot checks (at least 2-3x a day) I have 12-16 spywares on my system. It's so frustrating. Any suggestions from our computer gurus?

Jessica

Cool. I'll look into Mozilla
I have the free version of Ad-Aware Personal, is the Prof version that much better?

Janice

yeah, but seriously Mozilla helps TONS. It doesn't let stupid things into your computer through your browser.

mac_obsession

I second ad aware pro...

Honestly, running two antivirii programs does you more damage than help. They cancel each other out, especially if youre using like symantec and mcafee or similar programs. The worst thing you can do is run 2...The best thing is one firewall, if you use a router, its got a built in fw but you still want to use one like zonealarm that alerts you to every outgoing request or incoming request. You want to keep your av definitions updated weekly, and run a spyware program like adaware 1 time for every 12-24 hours youre online. You should also clear your cache, empty your temp folders and make sure that you recognize all the programs listed in your firewall. You should also scan your pc with av nightly, schedule it to do it while youre asleep, so it doesnt affect you (Assuming that your pc is running 24/7 like mine is).

Honestly get rid of the second antivirus..Its doing your pc more harm then good...You can ask any av company and they will tell you the same. They all cancel each other out if used together :\

Also if you go into internet settings and disable active x (unsafe unsigned active x controls) and prompt for the unsigned others you should be ok. Its ok to let the verified/signed ones go, if you let them prompt you could get stuck on a page for hours)

HTH!!

Ps. My computer is on 24/7 7 days a week 365 days a year...I download 1000000s of gbs and Ive never had a virus or been hacked...

Elorien

Definitely get Firefox (mozilla)

I use 3 different spyware scanners, Ad-Aware, Spybot serach & destroy and Microsoft AntiSpyware. Probably overkill, but they all seem to catch different things. I don't seem to end up with many anyways.. not sure why that is, maybe I just don't surf the sites where they lurk :p

We also use a router and I think my SO is running zonealarm too.

Probably stupid, but I don't have a virus scanner, lol

Quote:
Ps. My computer is on 24/7 7 days a week 365 days a year...I download 1000000s of gbs and Ive never had a virus or been hacked

2nd that!

Jessica

thanks guys!! I apreciate your suggestions and will def follow-up
smiles.gif

Elorien

A related question, does anyone use the mozilla email program? I don't use Outlook because it's just as vulnerable as internet explorer (using eudora currently)

mac_obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elorien
Definitely get Firefox (mozilla)

I use 3 different spyware scanners, Ad-Aware, Spybot serach & destroy and Microsoft AntiSpyware. Probably overkill, but they all seem to catch different things. I don't seem to end up with many anyways.. not sure why that is, maybe I just don't surf the sites where they lurk :p

We also use a router and I think my SO is running zonealarm too.

Probably stupid, but I don't have a virus scanner, lol

Every computer should have a firewall, if it is being used on the internet. The spyware programs are ok...You can run them without interference between them. But AV are different and can cause you more damage than good rather than working together or picking up what one misses they end up cancelling each other out.

mac_obsession

I dont use outlook either, too vulnerable. I use netcaptor, which is a grouping program that uses ssl and is pretty secure. As well as av, fw and sw removal once every two days (Av daily, fw constant). Ill see what I can find for you Elorien. Are you using eudora light or pro?

sara13

I'm actually using Mozilla's Thunderbird program right now instead of Outlook and I've been pretty happy so far.

Janice

I use thunderbird as well, my only complaint is that the spell checker blows ass. Otherwise I think it's great and I love how it doesn't load images automatically.

Elorien

I'm using the Eudora that shows ads in it, so I think it has the pro features.. but I'd love to ditch it for ad-less Thunderbird. Hm.. I do use the spellchecker sometimes though...

GoldieLox

Spyware is HORRIBLE for your computer.. that and adware. ok so you can get them for free off the internet right? ever wonder how they make any money?

Well, the people who run it are actually paid by other companies to spy on you. so you think that it is spying FOR you to keep things out but in all actuality it is spying ON you.. you give them acess to your pc and they give your pc info out to a bunch of different companies that advertise.. that is why lets say you go to gambling sites a lot or even makeup sites a lot. then all the popups that you get are going to be based around gambling or makeup.. and that is because the spyware tells those companies that is what you have been viewing..

When you are looking at a website and 10 other companies are looking at YOU. which is creepy. but yes you need to have a firewall and firefox mozilla thing is good. also if you have email you should make sure to have a couple different ones. like have one for "junk" like when you subscribe to mac.com or something or jcrew. one for work. one for personal like friends and family. and anything else you want to keep seperate. cox can have i think up to 7 or 8 and you can do hotmail as well for free. also make sure that you only have running what you need to be running.. the little icons in the corner or your computer are all applications that are running.. so make sure that if your not actually using it at the time then it isnt there. (just right click and exit to get rid of it) dont worry it doesnt uninstall it or anything. but if you arent watching a video or listening to music make sure quicktime or an equivilent isnt there ect. you prolly will end up needing about 4 icons up all the time. like your anti vi, running app, volume, and printer..

hope this helps some.

Elorien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieLox
Spyware is HORRIBLE for your computer.. that and adware. ok so you can get them for free off the internet right? ever wonder how they make any money?

Well, the people who run it are actually paid by other companies to spy on you. so you think that it is spying FOR you to keep things out but in all actuality it is spying ON you.. you give them acess to your pc and they give your pc info out to a bunch of different companies that advertise.. that is why lets say you go to gambling sites a lot or even makeup sites a lot. then all the popups that you get are going to be based around gambling or makeup.. and that is because the spyware tells those companies that is what you have been viewing..

Are you talking about free spyware removing programs actually being spyware? Or just free software in general?

Alison

Microsoft has a new anti-spyware program. I think it is still in the beta phase but you can download it at http://www.microsoft.com . I use it and it seems to work well. It sits in your system tray and minitors your computer as well as doing periodic scans.

GoldieLox

yea. they are a scam. im not quite sure about all free programs but i would be cautious. my computer guy told me all of that stuff just the other day because our computers at work kept crashing. but it all makes sense if you think about it.

Elorien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieLox
yea. they are a scam. im not quite sure about all free programs but i would be cautious. my computer guy told me all of that stuff just the other day because our computers at work kept crashing. but it all makes sense if you think about it.

Check out this site for free software with no spyware or other crap (includes spyware scanners) Adaware and Spybot S&D are both listed

http://www.cleansoftware.org

mac_obsession

Microsoft is NORTORIOUS for spying on people. You couldnt pay me to use their software, or their newest version of windows. (not avail to consumers yet)

Adaware and the other programs ARE in fact usefull, and need to be used.

Whats running in your task bar means nothing, you need to go into your task manager and see what is running behind the scenes. Spyware indicates the act of spying which is covert and usually not known to the average end user.