• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

Depotting Tip *need a drill* not scary

showpuli

I was depotting my Milani shadows which Have a hole in the base to push the pan out once you heat the glue to loosten it. I was worried about melting the plasitic on my MAC and UD shadows so was weary...

Then I realized I could try to drill a hole with DH's drill. I used a small drill bit and used a "quick grip"
http://store1.yimg.com/I/tylertool_1863_5541668

to keep the shadow in place, plyers will work as well but the quick grip has rubber ends that you can squeeze the plasic into to create a nice hold.

I drilled slowly and you watch the black plastic. Sometimes the pan just falls out due to the air from the drill, or loose glue... about 1/2 my pans just softly fell out on the towel. Then you have a nice hole like the Milani shadows where you can insert a (elbow wrench? forgot what it is called) to push out the pan. You do not have to melt the plasic, just heat up the pan to loosten the glue. It is percet, and fast.

I depotted all my shadows without loosing any in no time!

But you have to have a drill, you can get a hand one as it takes nothing to make the hole, the plastic is very soft. And no fumes!! That is what I did not like about the candle method, the fumes of melting plastic.

Hope that helps some... now go raid DH or Daddy's toolchest!

Good Luck!@

Ilona

Dreamergirl3

thanks, if things go well I'm going to be buying some Milani shadows soon! Oh btw, will they fit into any palette? TIA!

showpuli

all my milani shadows fit no problem in my mac pans!

I think milani shadows are the easiest to depot! I learned from them.

Bye!

ilona

csuthetaphi

I was searching for some new depotting ideas today and found this. I don't use the candle method anymore due to the harmful fumes, and I have tried the flat-iron method with fairly good results. The problem I had was that with just the flat iron melting the glue, I still had to pry the pan out with an exacto knife, and it would dent the side of the pan. I hate that because I am a perfectionist and like my pans all nice and perfect. So I got out my husband's drill and drilled a small hole in the back, not even all the way through it, then heated it with the iron to melt the glue. I stuck a push pin through and voila! The pan pops right out with no problems!

stuntpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuthetaphi
I was searching for some new depotting ideas today and found this. I don't use the candle method anymore due to the harmful fumes, and I have tried the flat-iron method with fairly good results. The problem I had was that with just the flat iron melting the glue, I still had to pry the pan out with an exacto knife, and it would dent the side of the pan. I hate that because I am a perfectionist and like my pans all nice and perfect. So I got out my husband's drill and drilled a small hole in the back, not even all the way through it, then heated it with the iron to melt the glue. I stuck a push pin through and voila! The pan pops right out with no problems!

Harmful fumes? Really? I've gotta stop using my lighter and start using something else now...

csuthetaphi

My husband was watching me depot with the candle and told me that melted plastic fumes are bad. So I got scared and swore off the candle!!

floweryu

my first post here!

OK this is my first post although I have been reading the board for a while. I just depoted 6 eye shadows using a hair dryer (cheap one, from CVS). Just take out the pan with the plastic, then hold the pan in the heat for about 2min (by that time you should see the plastic changing colour and then you should stop, it doesn't smell at all) and then just bend the plastic from both sides and the pan goes out, no trouble. In the worst case use small scissors to help to release the pan once it's almost out. I did this with 6 eye shadows, not a single dent in the pan itself, no trouble, no bad smell.

queenofdisaster

when i got it melted, i just pushed the pan up with my thumbnails and took the pan out with tweezers and theres usually enough glue left to just press a magnet on while its still hot