Discounts

KeshieShimmer

If it was truly only for friends and family they wouldn't allow it to be used online. Simple if you are an employee you would have to accompany that friend or family member to the store. That would solve it.

JCPenney has a 'friends& family' that everyone is invited too. They actually send out coupons to regular customers and those with cards. However you don't need a card to use that discount.

bebs

a 'friends and family sale' is way different then an employee discount, yes if you were giving that out it would be a problem but thats why its called a SALE, they put it on sale. I know I for one would normally go to the stila website and nars, as well as others to get them directly

so instead of not getting a sale, they get me to buy all my stuff though them.. I think thats a good thing if your in marketing and thinking about their profits over all.

prettygirl

i think we're ALL friends of sephora. hahah
smiles.gif
. we give them our hard earned money... what more does a friend want?

glam8babe

i dont see what the problem is really... when i worked in a clothing store i had my discount card and i let my friends, family get discount and even my bfs family! one time this random lil girl wanted to buy some jeans she handed me the money but i counted it and she didnt have enough.. she was about 12, she was about £4 short so i gave her discount coz im nice like that. I just think its nice to help people, i would expect the same back! when i go to makeup counters i love getting free samples and i love it when they give me like 10 samples of diff things and being nice... but what i think is greedy is when some snobby ones are like "we domnt give free samples unless you spend £x amount of money" they are only samples!
but yeh i really dont see why people are so bothered about others finding about how to get discount. its not the end of the world!

SlimSugar

I bet if you didnt work for Sephora and came across a friends and family code or a coupon you would jump for joy and use it without thinking twice.

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by glam8babe
i dont see what the problem is really... when i worked in a clothing store i had my discount card and i let my friends, family get discount and even my bfs family!

Anywhere that I worked in retail (no longer in retail), sharing the *employee discount* was strictly forbidden and, in most cases, was listed as possible grounds for termination. Some stores allowed purchases to be made for immediate family (but not by them), but none of them allowed for passing the discount to friends, etc.

Some reasons for employee discounts are 1. to provide an additional low-cost benefit (store still makes cost on the product) and 2. to have employees using/promoting their products (whether its makeup, jewelry or clothing, etc.)

Employee discounts and "friends & Family" promotions are generally completely different policies.

Gretl Irina

It's all about marketing guys!! If it feels exclusive and special, that's even more incentive to want to use it!

Of course the marketing firm at Sephora knows everyone uses it. That is the intended goal. It's been proven in many studies that the reason that sales and coupons work so well is because you feel good and are excited to be getting a 'discount'. Of course, everything is marked up so that the store is making a profit, so when a sale occurs, they are usually just making less of that profit.