Doll Help! Ideas Needed!

Randy Rose

Hey girls! I'm having a doll-themed birthday party in a week. I am going to drag as a doll, but I don't know who to be. Obviously I'd got for Barbie, but the co-host of the party (it's her b'day, too, and the party is at her house) is going to be Barbie. Wah wah. Any other classics? It needs to be hot, not cutesy (I'm 6'1'' and skinny, so baby dolls or whatever wouldn't work). I'm thinking of being a Bratz, but that's all I've been able to come up with. Any retro ideas or classic dolls that, being a boy, I don't know about?

SparklingWaves

How about Betty Boop? I can think of several others too.

moz-screenshot-2.jpg

spectrolite

OMG you should go as Jem from Jem and the Holograms. She was my absolute favorite. Or you could go as one of The Misfits - Jem and the Holograms rivals! Jem was a television series about an all female 80's rock band. They had a magical computer named Synergy that transformed them from normal girls to rock stars and of course there was a doll to go along with it.

Here are a few pics for you. The 2nd pic is of The Misfits!

jem_1.jpg
misfits.jpg

This is a great site to find out more about Jem and get some ideas for looks. It's also got all of the music from the show lol! Ahhh the memories.

http://www.jemunlimited.com/

Randy Rose

OH MY GOD! I totally remember Jem! That was my favorite saturday morning cartoon! That's a BIG maybe!

SparklingWaves

What type of doll do you feel most comfortable dressing up as a) soft like dolls - Holly Hobby & Raggedy Ann or b) plastic type doll - Skipper (Barbie's little sister).

yummy411

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrolite
OMG you should go as Jem from Jem and the Holograms. She was my absolute favorite. Or you could go as one of The Misfits - Jem and the Holograms rivals! Jem was a television series about an all female 80's rock band. They had a magical computer named Synergy that transformed them from normal girls to rock stars and of course there was a doll to go along with it.

Here are a few pics for you. The 2nd pic is of The Misfits!

jem_1.jpg
misfits.jpg

This is a great site to find out more about Jem and get some ideas for looks. It's also got all of the music from the show lol! Ahhh the memories.

http://www.jemunlimited.com/

this is sort OT, but i'm viewing specktra, my 3 y/o is next to me and he says "mommy are those the Doodlebops?" (from Disney) LLOLOLL!

1299324790_75c26e5b03.jpg

yummy411

or heck be your own bday doll.. heck with a popular doll to recreate! you do hot makeup, so just be fierce... or for an idea... (cuz i know i'd love to try this look) a fellow specktralite did a blog post where some MAC makeup artist created this babydoll look
http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/p...ugust-25-2007/

you have to scroll down a bit to get to the vindy co models... good luck and let us know (and see) the doll you created =)

Randy Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
What type of doll do you feel most comfortable dressing up as a) soft like dolls - Holly Hobby & Raggedy Ann or b) plastic type doll - Skipper (Barbie's little sister).

Definitely going to be SUPER plastic. Right now I'm thinking either Jem, or, as yummy suggested, just my own "Doll" look, crazy colors, exaggerated features, huge eyes, lashes, etc.

xsnowwhite

i think it would be fun to be a bratz doll!
Or what about sinceyour one of the cohosts(im guessing?) and the other one is being barbie you guys could be a duo and you could be teresa or christie lol that would be fun too!

Randy Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnowwhite
i think it would be fun to be a bratz doll!
Or what about sinceyour one of the cohosts(im guessing?) and the other one is being barbie you guys could be a duo and you could be teresa or christie lol that would be fun too!

Isn't Teresa latina and Christie black? I'm about as white as they come (NW20)! Hee hee.

Randy Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevalin
Well if you're tall and thin, Cher pops to mind. I loved my Cher doll when I was a kiddo - she had this fabulous strawberry pink evening gown on!
http://www.tvtoys.com/library/sony_and_cher/index.htm

(there are newer Cher dolls out too, esp. some with some amazing Bob Mackie outfits, but that's the doll I remember from my youth!)

That's awesome. A friend of mine suggested Cher, since I have done Cher A LOT, but I feel sort of strange being a doll based on a real person (since it'd be more like I was dressing up like that person than the doll). But I DO LIVE for Cher! (attached is a shot of me as Cher from about 2 years ago . . . I obviously wasn't as good with my makeup back then, but it's my best Cher shot!)

Aevalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rose
That's awesome. A friend of mine suggested Cher, since I have done Cher A LOT, but I feel sort of strange being a doll based on a real person (since it'd be more like I was dressing up like that person than the doll). But I DO LIVE for Cher! (attached is a shot of me as Cher from about 2 years ago)

Ooooooooooo you look excellent as Cher!

I see your point tho since you've done Cher a lot. If you could get that strawberry gown anyone who had the doll in their childhood (I'm 38) would know what you were doing instantly!

Another option if your friend is doing a strict Malibu Barbie interpretation is to do a Barbie variation. Or as was said, Skipper, PJ, Marcie...

Or there's the Gene Marshall collectable doll...
http://www.genecollection.com/ct/gen...G=Search&meta=

xsnowwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rose
Isn't Teresa latina and Christie black? I'm about as white as they come (NW20)! Hee hee.

oh lol i know what ya mean im the same way.

frocher

How about a Cabaret look? It's not exactly a doll but it is very doll-like. I love the way Joel Gray and Liza Minelli looked in the movie.