Eye Liner recommendations for beginner

babelicious

hi,
i have not tried MAC eye liners but i do know that there are various ones available.. like eye khols, fluidlines, powerpoint etc.. wat's the difference between them? :confused:
i also want to know which is more suitable for a beginner like me.. i've been using Ettusais eye liner pencil. and which colour would suit me?? i'm Asian with black eyes.

Thanks a lot
smiles.gif

Sabrunka

Well if you want to make your eyes stand out, then use any colour other than black or brown, but if you want to just look neutral then use brown or black. Fluidline is a liquid eyeliner, powerpoint I think is just more metallic coloured, and eye kohl is softer and smudges easier.

ohhhhhthehorror

I think the easiest thing for a beginner would be something pencil form. I would suggest Engraved powerpoint as it is waterproof and long lasting. Either that or Smolder eye kohl as it is a bit softer and could be seen as more versatile (both are black).

Beauty Mark

Pencils are the easiest. As long as the eyeliner isn't too brittle or too soft, it's easy. I think liquid is the hardest, because it's so much harder to correct mistakes. Gel/cake liners are in between. It depends on how comfortable you are with brushes. I find it a little difficult to know the right amount for gel liners, but they're also a lot easier to correct than liquid. I normally wear liquid, because I prefer the look, but I've grown to like gel liner.

I find purple to work the best. I also like brown for a less intense look than black.

aerials

I agree with starting with a pencil eyeliner if you are a beginner. I only recently starting playing around with fluidlines and can barely get the hang of it!

I also have dark brown eyes and when I was first using pencil liner, I was using blacks (kind of a no-no), but then I gradually figured to use different shades to help bring my brown eyes out and make my eyes appear a bit bigger. Try brown (not too dark though!), navy, violet, or green.

k_im

Powerpoint is great for a beginner because it lasts more than eye kohl.. You could also try fluidlines which are kinda like liquid eyeliner except not goopy.

MizzMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by babelicious
hi,
i have not tried MAC eye liners but i do know that there are various ones available.. like eye khols, fluidlines, powerpoint etc.. wat's the difference between them? :confused:
i also want to know which is more suitable for a beginner like me.. i've been using Ettusais eye liner pencil. and which colour would suit me?? i'm Asian with black eyes.

Thanks a lot
smiles.gif

Hi!!

I'm pretty new to the MAC Line so I can't really give you good advice in the difference of the liners. Personally I think it's about texture....that's the only difference I can tell. Some glide on smoother.

If you want a nice beginner eyeliner my choice would be from the new technakohl line. It's very thin and glides on very easily!!!!!!!!!

http://www.specktra.net/showthread.php?t=54188 If you look at my post here you can see me wearing the technakohl in black! (1st pic)......It's a rather great liner!! I haven't tried any other MAC liners besides the fluid line which I'm not completely impressed with! I find it hard to use and very melty.

If you want to try using a liner in pot form I'd suggest trying Smashbox Cream liner (pic here: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...egoryId=C10905) using the #9 Liner Brush (Pic here: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...ego ryId=3990)

It's very foolproof. Dip it in and walk across your lash line!!!!!!!!!! No pulling, tugging, or trying to draw a straight liner. The Brush does it for you! Walk right across the lash line and you'll have a perfect line everytime!

Hope this helps a little bit!

wavey.gif

liquidsirenhoney

i am one of the few that hate pencils...i only use them on my waterline...i started with fluidilines and haven't really strayed from them, i tried the liquidlast and didn't care for it...once you get a hang of fluid liners it gets easier to apply them, just takes practice.

MiCHiE

I loved Fluidline from the moment the MUA put it on me. The only thing was I could not use an angled or straight brush to save my life. I opted for one of these:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...categoryId=B70

After I did that, it was easy as pie to get a thin or thick straight line and it totally got me addicted to the FL. I get many compliments and I've only been doing my make-up since June
blush-anim-cl.gif

ollieo

I can never get pencils right nor can I figure out liquids. I recently found gels and LOVE them. I use a flat brush and have no problems at all with either a thin line or thick. I went from rarely using eyeliner because I had so many problems with pencils to using the gels daily.

sewpunk

I love lining my lids with wet eyeshadow. You need a stiff eyelining brush (I perfer a straight one, like the one Mrs.Darcy posted from Sephora, the Smashbox brand), and whatever eyeshadow you want. I love Embark shadow by MAC for a brown liner.

I get the shadow on my brush, and while I have water running from the sink faucet, I pass the brush through the stream of water, just once and kinda quickly. Then you can paint on the shadow as a liner like some of the previous posters techniques.

BlahWah

I have Duck Powerpoint, and I'm Asian w/ brown eyes. Engraved Ppt is darker, but I prefer Duck which is a grey-brown and gives a softer look. If you feel like experimenting, though, I'd recommend the Fluidlines. Once you get the hang of it, they're great to use and with so many fun colours! I do my liner and mascara first, though, regardless of what kind of liner I'm using, just cuz I get messy with mascara and q-tips come in so handy. If I really need to, I'll carefully add more Fluidline. You can also use f/l as base for your shadows!

kimmy

i'd say go for the Powerpoint if you're just starting out. they're easy to draw straight lines with and smudge very well.

liquid eyeliners are amazing! but they require a steady hand and a little experience. but when you move up to those, MAC Fluidlines are def worth the money
winks.gif

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by babelicious
eye khols, fluidlines, powerpoint etc.. wat's the difference between them? :confused:

Eye Pencil - the softest, most basic eyeliner. Matte colours are suitable for lashline/waterline.
Khol - a soft compressed powder in an oil-base. Smudges easily, lasting properties are open for debate. Matte colours are suitable for lashline/waterline.
Powerpoint - similar to khol pencils in how they apply, but slightly firmer and have water-resistant properties. Matte colours are suitable for lashline/waterline.
Technakohl Liner - very close in composition to Powerpoint pencils, but in a wind-up tube that doesn't require sharpening. Similar consistancy, similar lasting properties. Matte colours are suitable for lashline/waterline.
Fluidlines - gel eyeliner. Comes in a small pot and is applied with a brush. More water-resistant than a Powerpoint, but not waterproof. Matte colours are suitable for lashline/waterline.
Liquid liner - pigment in a liquid suspension. Applies with a built-in applicatior, either a firm bullet tip or a flexible narrow brush. Isn't water-resistant. Not suitable for the lashline or waterline.
Liquidlast Liner - long-wearing/water-proof liquid liner. Is very unsuited for the lashline/waterline. Removed by applying an oil-based cleanser.

smiles.gif

thedivaa

IMO, eye kohl smudges/ wears off easily in Singapore's hot hot weather. =( especially if you have the typical asian single-lidded eyes. I don't, but i find that it still wears off easily. Powerpoint is not bad if you like metallic colours, but I prefer fluidlines! They're easy to use once you get the hang of it, and you can ask the MAs to help you out. =)

MAChostage

That doggone eyelining has got to be one of the trickiest areas for most people new to makeup. Pencils are indeed probably the easiest way to go but I've always liked the look of liquids and gels. This was my first eyelining brush: http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...g oryId=S4700 and I still reach for it for some looks. My fave brush for use with fluidlines is MAC's #212 (I use the "press product into the base of the lashes" method with this one).

Latest posts