Fake pro pan palette refills?

e-jay

Hello

I purchased some pro pan eyeshadows via ebay and am concerned that they are counterfeit.

The colour does not seem to be as vivid, and the shadows themselves seem more prone to crumbling, then MAC pan eyeshadows I have purchased before.

I compared the label at the bottom of a pan refill I bought from a MAC store (Bisque) and noticed that it is slighly different to the label at the bottom of the pan refills I bought on Ebay. On 'Bisque' (the one I bought from a MAC store) text only appears on the top half and the bottom half of the circular label. On 'Shroom' (purchased via Ebay), the text appears all around the perimeter of the label.

(Please refer to the attached thumbnail below to see the two shadows)

I don't know whether MAC has changed the label format (as I purchase the authentic product more than two years ago) or whether the ones I purchased are counterfeit.

Your assistance would be very much appreciated
smiles.gif

C1NDY

hey, i think you are right. all of my E/S, they have words in circle and not like the "BISQUE" that you bought from Ebay :\

e-jay

What is the reason for that?

Can anyone else confirm that there are two different types of labels for the pan eyeshadow refills?

thanks
smiles.gif

panda0410

Its likely that they may have been manufactured at different places. Lots of the pigments have slightly different text on the back on boxes etc and its because some are made in Canada and some are made in the US. The pans might be the same.

e-jay

The text is actually the same and both say they were manufactured in Canada - it's only the layout that is different. I'm concerned they are counterfeit as one of the shadows seems more crumbly than authentic ones I've purchased in the past.

panda0410

I dont know?? I know about the pigments but dont own that many e/s, but are the e/s different finishes? Some of them may be softer depending on the finish. I just checked 4 of my own e/s bought from MAC, and one of them is the same as the first pic and the other 3 are the same as the second pic - and mine are DEFINITELY authentic unless MAC itself sold me fakes, which I doubt.

darkbeauty27

Who did you purchase the items from? Was the seller named vinadoll, khatu288, or khatupromakeup222? This is all the same person on ebay. People have left feedback insinuating counterfeit refill pans on some of their feedback...

gigglegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbeauty27
Who did you purchase the items from? Was the seller named vinadoll, khatu288, or khatupromakeup222? This is all the same person on ebay. People have left feedback insinuating counterfeit refill pans on some of their feedback...

I was surfing e-bay this morning, and noticed that Khatu288 selling pans for super cheap, and considering they've had their ebay acct since Jul-07 my gut says counterfeit. so scary! I wonder what they are making their makeup with? *shudder*

noahlowryfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1NDY
hey, i think you are right. all of my E/S, they have words in circle and not like the "BISQUE" that you bought from Ebay :\

she bought Bisque in a MAC store and Shroom on ebay.

i checked my pro pan that i bought in MAC on April of this year and the label is the same as Shroom so i think the Shroom is real.

TehK

I don't have a camera to show you what I will describe, but I received 3 refill pans from ebay yesterday (with 12 potted e/s). One of the potted e/s was fake (swiss chocolate)

The sticker on one of the refill pans says only "BRIGHT SUNSHINE A87". There is no weight, address, markings, ANYTHING. Just a funny font with the colour and manufacture date. The cardboard it came in doesn't scratch and seems legit.

All my other refills have the typical "make up art cosmetics toronto london w1k3bq made in canada/ m44x" type thing in a circular motion around the label. Bright sunshine does not.

Is my bright sunshine fake, or do you have refills that have only the name/number on them?!?

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehK
I don't have a camera to show you what I will describe, but I received 3 refill pans from ebay yesterday (with 12 potted e/s). One of the potted e/s was fake (swiss chocolate)

The sticker on one of the refill pans says only "BRIGHT SUNSHINE A87". There is no weight, address, markings, ANYTHING. Just a funny font with the colour and manufacture date. The cardboard it came in doesn't scratch and seems legit.

All my other refills have the typical "make up art cosmetics toronto london w1k3bq made in canada/ m44x" type thing in a circular motion around the label. Bright sunshine does not.

Is my bright sunshine fake, or do you have refills that have only the name/number on them?!?

"Bright Sunshine" is a PRO only shadow
smiles.gif
all the PRO only shadows are like that. I hate it because I like to know the finish of the shadows and none of them have it :/ but I'm pretty sure you're ok and it's not fake. I bought all of my PRO shadows at the pro store/pro site and all of them are that way.

**these are not to be confused with "pro palette refills" they are PRO only colors sold in refill form.
yes.gif

TehK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambonee
"Bright Sunshine" is a PRO only shadow
smiles.gif
all the PRO only shadows are like that. I hate it because I like to know the finish of the shadows and none of them have it :/ but I'm pretty sure you're ok and it's not fake. I bought all of my PRO shadows at the pro store/pro site and all of them are that way.

**these are not to be confused with "pro palette refills" they are PRO only colors sold in refill form.
yes.gif

Great thank you so much! I did know it was a pro only colour and should have thought of that first
smiles.gif

ms_bloom

I'm not sure if you're still worried about this but I just checked some of my pro pan refills and my Shroom looks exactly like the one in your picture. I also have newer pans that look just like your Bisque. And mine are definitely not fake
smiles.gif

wolfsong

As far as im aware (and when i last checked, anyone was aware) pans havent been faked yet. This is probably due to lack of demand - most people dont own/want to fill palettes when they can get fully packaged eyeshadows.
It tends to be the makeup enthusiasts and people associated with the industry that want these non potted versions (though some people just like the reduced price, and fill a quad up).
Most if not all pans are sold at the Pro Stores im guessing for this reason - im not sure if they can also be purchased at many of the Main MAC Stores/stalls?

Panda's right about the packaging - it annoyingly changes between manufacturers/Countries and can make you think its fake when its legit. I wish they would be more uniform/universal with their packaging...

Tabitha

Also, please keep in mind that the same shades can vary a little based on batches. I had a Mac Mocha blush that I damaged badly while trying to depot, so I broke down and bought another one at the counter. When I first bought it I thought it looked just a little different colorwise and sure enough when I compared the two you could see it. It wasn't off by much, but there was a slight difference. Hope this helps.