Fake Vibrant Grape PAN--Suggestions?

iShadow

I received this pan in a swap. Her end was a pigment sample and this pan, my end was two MAC pans. The second I got this Vibrant Grape pan I was afraid it was fake, but I didn't know how to prove it. Then I was going to ask if anyone could compare batch numbers... and I realized the batch number was completely off. So, I know for sure that I received a fake. However, I don't know what to do now. Do I contact the swapper asking for a swap reversal.. or what? I'd love some advice from you guys.

3546361217_e008de5da6.jpg

3547199166_9f673c7ccc.jpg

makeup_queen81

i can't tell you if that is 100% real or not but i have a refill pan that i got directly from MAC Pro and the back looks exactly like that

iShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeup_queen81
i can't tell you if that is 100% real or not but i have a refill pan that i got directly from MAC Pro and the back looks exactly like that

The batch code has two letters rather than two numbers?

iShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeup_queen81
yup mine has 2 letters and i bought mine at a pro store so it better not be fake haha

Oh my gosh why is my life so hard. D: Should I bring it in to my counter and compare it to the Style Warriors Vibrant Grape? The texture is just so different from any other shadow I have.

makeup_queen81

Quote:
Originally Posted by iShadow
Oh my gosh why is my life so hard. D: Should I bring it in to my counter and compare it to the Style Warriors Vibrant Grape? The texture is just so different from any other shadow I have.

that's a good idea..take it and compare that will be probably the only way to know for sure

julie150463

Quote:

Agreed with the other ladies - totally authentic. The labelling on the PRO colour only refills is slightly different to the regular refills.

VIC MAC

Do you think there's a chance that it has been repressed - that would explain the texture problems! She might have dropped it or something, and tried to fixe it again...... just a thought!

Pushpa

the batch code reads like this A=first batch C=december (a b and c just means the 10 11 and 12th months) 7=year it was manufactured so 2007

hope that helps

Xqueeze_me

Batch numbers/codes cannot be used to distinguish whether the MAC item is fake or not. It looks like a Pro Pan Vibrant Grape eyeshadow and I agree with the girls here that it looks fine.

redambition

agreed - the batch code is fine. there can be a A, B or C in the second position of the batch code.

I think this one looks fine. It's obviously not new, but I am assuming that the state of the shadow was described in the swap.

makeup_queen81

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIC MAC
Do you think there's a chance that it has been repressed - that would explain the texture problems! She might have dropped it or something, and tried to fixe it again...... just a thought!

this is what i was thinking...sometimes when you repress it can change the quality of the shadow

iShadow

No, I don't think it's repressed. I've repressed a few shadows, and their texture is nothing like this one.

redambition

Quote:
No, I don't think it's repressed. I've repressed a few shadows, and their texture is nothing like this one.

the way a shadow represses is affected by a few different factors:

1. The finish of the shadow. mattes can end up rock hard and useless. shadows with glitter can end up gritty.

2. what is used to repress the shadow. pure alcohol can make it seem drier and harder afterward.

3. the amount of pressure used - more pressure can lead to a tougher, more compacted feel. this is because the shadow is already compacted to an extent.

repressing a shadow after it being damaged can be a hit and miss operation. i've had shadows that i've tried to repress and ended up ruining, others that i've repressed and they ended up perfect.

macluvermre

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie150463
Agreed with the other ladies - totally authentic. The labelling on the PRO colour only refills is slightly different to the regular refills.

iagree.gif

BunnyBunnyBunny

The label is authentic. Like others said, it appears to be legitimate. If the texture is strange well... who knows what the previous owner subjected the shadow to? Maybe it was spritzed with alcohol, or used with wet brushes, or repressed, or who knows? Maybe it's a bad batch to begin with? Or maybe it's perfect. Take it to the counter next time you go and compare finishes just to put your mind at ease. :3

Lapis

Quote:

It's authentic, I think it was wiped with alcohol and that's why it looks that way, I have a showstopper that was wiped with alcohol and when I took the top layer off it's grittier than another showstopper in another quad

Taking it in my not help because this run of vibrant grape isn't exactly like the pro run, the SW one seems to be less matte

rockin

Are there fake pans out there now, then? I had been thinking of buying some on ebay, believing they had not yet been faked. I have a couple of empty palettes and wanted to buy some shadows in pan form instead of in pots, as they take up so much less space.

I don't have any MAC outlets near me, and don't have (or qualify for) a pro card, or whatever it is that allows someone to buy online through MAC Pro.

TISH1124

^^ You do not have to have a pro Card to buy from MAC Pro....you just have to call and place your orders....But good thing...MAC Online sells the pro pans now!! So you can get them there