Family Rant!!!

tsukiyomi

I think that if your older brother and his wife don't want them to use that name, they shouldn't. I'd have a big problem with that!! Your brother needs to bring out the beating stick on little brother.

AliVix1

i say no way! i was adopted... and i just recently got in touch with my birth mother... she has had 2 girls since and no one else had my name! actually one of the coolest things is that sometimes by accident i get called by the name my birthmom picked out bc its close to my real name (real name= alison, birthmom name= amanda) so its just like a special thing... if i have a daughter i might name her amanda... anyway this might really hurt the adoptive baby... like break some kind of bond and make her feel like she was replaced... not really but i mean people can get really crazy about this kinda stuff if its not handled right

Beauty Mark

What is the first name and is it significant? If they chose a name in honor of a relative on either side, I don't see the big deal. I know friends who have a bunch of people in the family named "Joe" after someone in the family.

I kind of don't understand the point of asking permission if you're just going to go through with what planned on anyway. That seems stupid.

If you're game to be peace maker, I'd suggest that the new child goes by her middle name. I have a friend who is the fifth "Mary V." The V is always some woman's name beginning with a V, ie. Mary Victoria, Mary Viola, etc. No one actually goes by there first na,e.

Does the adopted child know you call her by the middle name and not her new first name? Are the parents cool with that? That's off-topic, but I think my parents (I'm adopted) wouldn't have been fine with that, if I had ever gotten in touch with my birth parents.

I personally wouldn't care if my birth name were recycled in that family. I feel no connection to it, and I am who I am now, not the person with the Korean name. It's just a name, but to me, I haven't been that person since I was a baby. I have an odd take on being adopted, though, since I have no desire to "get in touch with my culture" nor do I care to see my birth parents.

amazed527

To me it is wrong to use the name. Your younger brother asked and was told no dont so he should respect that and find something else to name his baby.

*Stargazer*

Really? People honestly think that the child who has been adopted and named something else is going to think that she's been "replaced" because her biological uncle named his child the same thing?

This seems WAY overblown to me.

Beauty Mark

A lot of people would name their kid after a deceased relative. It's a tribute thing, I guess. My mother's name was used again, because they thought it was a good way to honor her. I guess it's like hoping your kid embodies traits in the person.

Another way to go about it is if the name is like- Angela, there are different versions of that name. Angelina, Angel, Angelica, and so on. Your brother could select one of those names. There are probably versions of the name in mind that don't sound exactly alike, like Amelia and Emily.

righteothen

The way I see it, the younger brother should be allowed to name his child whatever he wants except if he asked permission, and was told no, or if the name is a common family name (example, there are already a lot of Roberts, or something. Then the older brother can't really claim the name).

He asked for permission, and was told no. If we was planning on naming the child that name anyway, he should not have asked permission.

Aevalin

I'm curious to as to whether it's a family name or a name they happened to like. If it's a family name - like the first born child in the family has that name, I can understand them wanting it and arguing about it. I'm not saying they're right, I just understand it. But if it's just a name that they like that they found in a baby book, there are loads of other names out there, I wouldn't think a name could be worth the huge family rift this is going to cause.

Tash

Did you ever stop to think that maybe your younger brother is naming his kid that as kinda like a living rememberance of your older brothers child? In the end, I see it as sweet, and nothing else.