Foundation going orange by end of day

odd_duck71

Hi, my mom called me for advice, and I didn't know what to tell her. She is wearing Neutrogena brand foundation (I don't know what type specifically) in True Beige. She says that it goes orange after several hours.

Can anyone suggest another drug store foundation that stays the right color? She's 71, has dry skin, and needs fairly heavy coverage because of broken capillaries.

Thanks so much!

Kim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
what about a mineral foundation?

Powder foundation on a 71 year old with dry skin will probably highlight every fine line and wrinkle.

odd_duck71

Thanks for the suggestions! The Lancome sounds like it would be fabulous for her. Not sure if she'll want to spend that much for foundation, but I can mention that it exists and see if she is interested. The Revlon may be more the price range she's thinking of.

I can only wear my mineral foundation on good skin days because the coverage is so light. Am I doing something wrong in the application process? Based on my own mileage, I can't imagine it covering all her capillaries. If it is possible to get good coverage out of it, please enlighten me. I'd love to be able to wear it more. It looks great right after I put it on, but the redness in my cheeks shows through in no time.

Back to mom -- Is color change usually just caused by makeup being too cheap or maybe a little old? Or is there something else I should be aware of in helping her choose a new color?

Kim.

Makeup can change colour when it has been unused, because you haven't shaken it before applying ( a lot of bottles say to shake before use), because it's old or because you left it open and air and things got to it.

mzcelaneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by odd_duck71

I can only wear my mineral foundation on good skin days because the coverage is so light. Am I doing something wrong in the application process? Based on my own mileage, I can't imagine it covering all her capillaries. If it is possible to get good coverage out of it, please enlighten me. I'd love to be able to wear it more. It looks great right after I put it on, but the redness in my cheeks shows through in no time.

How do you apply your mineral foundation? Using a kabuki/buffer brush to buff the make-up really makes a big difference.

odd_duck71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcelaneous
How do you apply your mineral foundation? Using a kabuki/buffer brush to buff the make-up really makes a big difference.

I've been using the brush that came with it. (physician's formula) I don't like it much though because it feels like it is scratching my face. Maybe that is keeping me from brushing it in well enough?

I guess i'll see if there is a review thread on different brands of brushes. Thanks!

odd_duck71

Thanks, everyone!

We went shopping on Saturday for clothing and makeup. The clothing was actually fairly easy! For the foundation, we compared and compared (using a bag of cotton balls as a background to help us see the undertones) and finally decided on a bottle of the Revlon Age Defying for dry skin. I can't remember the color now since we looked at so many.

She wore it for the first time yesterday, and I think we did pretty well for amateurs! It stayed on pretty well all day, covered reasonably well, and didn't turn pink or orange or any other color she didn't want her face to be.
clap.gif

She also let me pick out some new lipstick for her. She had been wearing a coral color that didn't suit her at all. I got her a nice brownish burgandy that looks much better.
cheerleader.gif

Latest posts