Geisha makeup??

Isis

Does anyone have any pics or ideas on how to go about that??? I've got a party tomorrow night and need help! (I hate this last minute stuff...)

YOOTOPiA

All I can think of is white face acheived by either powder or cream and then drawn in eyebrows with a dark brown/black pencil(thin and arc like), thick black eye liner, red lips but not filled in completely (pretty much make the shape of a pair of lips inside your own to make it round and pouty and only fill that in with red, the rest of your lips should be white). Other then that you could try to put some hot pink eyeshadow just above the black eyeliner with a little blush. Its a pretty minimal look nothing garish... If you're not Asian, then taping your eyes (temple to hairline) creates the same effect haha.
Hope that helped... sorry I can't describe it better. You can always check out yahoo/google. Memoirs of a Geisha is coming out in December so I know there are lots of production pictures floating around on the internet right now. Just make sure to look at the pictures of the white faces, cause that would be when they're in their full geisha regale.

Isis

Awesome link Jennifer, thats a big help!
I think I may not do the white paint, I'm sheet white as it is, and go for an extra layer of foundation since I'm wearing an actual antique kimono & obi. I don't think I could bare the dry-cleaning bill
icon_eek.gif
ACK! I'll deffinitelly do the eyes, lips, and cheeks though.
LOL If I get pics taken I will deff. post them up 8)

aziajs

From www.immortalgeisha.com

There are many modern cosmetics that can be used to replicate to a certain extent the look and feel of traditional geisha make-up.

White Face Paint / Liquid Foundation / Powder:-
There are a couple of options here. I personally found the best product to use in relation to this was made by a company called Manic Panic. I used their white "Dreamtone" liquid foundation and their "Virgin" white face powder to achieve a pretty good effect. They also have a thicker white foundation called "Goth White" which can also be used. This brand of make-up can be found in "gothic" or "alternative" shops around your local area, or contact them online through their web site for order information.

If you are in the United States, check out your local "Hot Topics" store for their make-up section. They have a few varieties of white foundation and powders that can be used for this purpose as well.

If you are unable to locate either of these, you could try to achieve the same effect with white clown make-up or theatrical make-up, which I am sure you can find at a local costume or theatre shop. The only problem with this is that this particular type of make-up tends to be quite oily and is hard to achieve the matte white look.

Red Eye Shadow:-
Most major cosmetic brands these days do sell red eye shadow. The two brands that I have used that I felt were the best was the "Rocket Red" or the "Vampire Red" colours from Manic Panic and the "rust" colour from the Australian brand, "Napoleon". You should go down to your local major department store and check out the cosmetics counter, as you might be able to find some other vivid red colours that are suitable to use.

If you are unable to get a hold of red eye shadow, why not try using a lip colour pencil like an eyeliner, or even some lipstick? I have experimented with lip colour pencil before, and it can give a very nice effect. With the lipstick, you could use a lip brush, or cotton bud q-tip) and apply some on-to your eyelids, and then blend it in to get the desired effect. To make it matte, rather than shiny, you can then pat over the top of it some translucent powder.

Eye Liner:-
The best eye liner to use for this is black liquid eye liner. Most major cosmetic brands will have some form of this. The only problem with using liquid eye liner is that it does require a bit of practice in applying before you can get it to look right. If you are having trouble applying it, try using a sharp black pencil eye liner as a guide, then paint the liquid eye liner over the top.

Eyelashes:-
Japanese women traditionally have dark eyelashes, and were in no real need to use any form of mascara. That is not to say though, that you cannot wear any yourself. If you have light coloured hair, black mascara would help with darkening your eyelashes so that the make-up looks correct.

Eyebrows:-
Whilst you can use a mixture of black eye shadow and a black eye liner pencil to fill your eyebrows in, the BEST way to do it, and the nicest way, is to simply use a stick of medium/soft black charcoal. This should be available at any art supply store.

Lipstick:-
Most major cosmetic brands should sell a red lipstick that is of suitable colour to use. A matte lipstick would be the better choice over glossy lipsticks. If you do want a touch of a shine on the lipstick, I would recommend using the matte lipstick and applying a very thin layer of clear lip gloss over the top - just enough to give it a slight shine.

If you are having trouble locating the correct red colour to use in lipsticks, why not take a look at lip liner pencils? One of the best colours that I ever used was by an Australian brand called "Poppy", who did a line of "geisha-type" make-up. Unfortunately though, since moving to the United States, I have not seen this particular brand of make-up in the department stores. I am sure it can be ordered online somewhere though.

Blush:-
Geisha themselves have plain white faces, but you might have noticed Maiko have a soft pink blush around their eye and cheek area. If you are wanting to do maiko style make-up, you could probably use a nice subtle pink blush, which should be available in most cosmetic brands. If you managed to be able to obtain the red eye shadow, you can do one of two things. Either mix a bit of the red eye shadow with the white face powder, and apply to the face or, apply the red eye shadow softly to the face, and pat over the top with white powder until the desired colour is reached.

Pink_minx

That reminds me I really want to see Memoirs of a Geisha
smiles.gif
hehe hope your geisha costume goes well!

Isis

Thanks for the link aziajs, it's very helpful as are your makup tips. I did go to Hot Topic, but they didn't have any, thats ok though. Like I said, I don't think I want to risk getting any of it on my kimono.

I love Memoirs, I've read it a few times since I got it when it came out. I didn't know they were making a movie of it until just last week. I'll deffinitelly go see it. So far the costume is coming along
smiles.gif
I just now finished making the new obi since my other one is FAR to heavy and thick. It would probably take 2 people to manage to tie it!
It all looks gorgeous together
smiles.gif

Latest posts