Help...a few questions

CrystalStars

Hey everyone I have a few questions since im new to the mac scene.

#1- if im buying samples of pigments will I need to buy a shade stick if I already have bare canvas paint? I know I read shadesticks help with pigments, but will paint do this as well?

#2- What is your favorite shade stick color? I really am thinking the next time I buy some mac I wanna get one but I just dont know which I want.

#3- kinda like the second question...but what are your favorite pigment colors.

thanks in advance for those who help!

DaizyDeath

ok ill answer these in order the best i can...

1. no you dont need to buy qa shadestick to apply your pigment alot of people like to use a base so that the pigments "stick" a little bit better and dont fall all over the face id say the 2 most common bases used are Paint and Prep and Prime for the Eye.

Colors in Paint that you would want to use as a base would probably be: Base Light, Untitled, Bare Canvas

2. I personally am not a big fan of shadesticks or paint all that much but i prefer paints over the shadesticks. Ummm for the colors alot of people like Sharkskin which is a grayish black color.

3. My favorite pigment colors are ...

Nuetral colors: Dazzleray, Shimmetime, Coppersparkle.
Brighter Colors: Golden Lemon, Golden Olive, Rose

I also have a huge passion for Ben Nye Product so i use alot of their pigments.

~LadyLocks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaizyDeath
1. no you dont need to buy qa shadestick to apply your pigment alot of people like to use a base so that the pigments "stick" a little bit better and dont fall all over the face id say the 2 most common bases used are Paint and Prep and Prime for the Eye.

Colors in Paint that you would want to use as a base would probably be: Base Light, Untitled, Bare Canvas

I totally agrree
thmbup.gif

I have Bare Canvas and I love it but I only use it if I'm going somewhere "special" or somewhere where it's hot so my lids don't crease. Usually when I use pigments I use something that's like MAC shadestick but it's a different brand, works the same I'm guessing.

#2 I have never baught a shadestick from MAC so I can't really say what color I like best. Sorry!

#3 My favorite pigment colors (so far) are:
Melon, Teal, Tan, Chocolate Brown, and Violet

Hope I helped out alittle, if not...sorry!
greengrin.gif

kimmy

i've never used paints, but i suspect they'll do just as good a job as a shadestick
winks.gif
i, personally, am a HUGE fan of shadesticks, so i'd suggest those over paints any day.

if you ARE going to get a shadestick, i'd suggest something like Beige-ing because it goes on pretty sheer. shadesticks dry pretty quickly, so darker ones (like Sharkskin) are more difficult to work with. if you want a dark coloured base, i'd say go with Graphito paint or maybe even a dark fluidline
winks.gif

favourite pigments of mine are for sure Vanilla, Goldenaire and Shimmertime
eyelove.gif

glittergoddess27

#1- Paints and Shadesticks are a bit different,.. I use my Shadestick over paint. The shadesticks are a bit creamier so applying the pigment over a shadestick should get more bang for your buck on color,.. however some ladies here are talented enough to get their piggies on that paint before it dries and have great success.

#2- My favorite colors are Penny and Corn,.. but I started wtih Beige-ing,. Beige-ing, Shimmersand, and Overcast are best to start,.. they go wtih everything

#3- Rose, Pink Bronze, Lilly White, Deckchair - They go with sooooo much (Really I love all my babies equaly)

ebonyannette

I love them both
cutey.gif
. I like Shadesticks because Im darker so they really help the color "pop" for me.

I would suggest starting off with just one, my coworker is fair and I got her hooked on Fresh Cement. I use all of mine but I started with Gentle Lentil (one that was the color of my skin) until I felt like ventureing out.
I personally like putting the pigments over the shadesticks but you dont have to. Its just a matter of preference.

As far as paints go, they can be kind of hard to work with in the beggining you will have to get used to how much to put on and which technique you like best (brush or finger). But its good to have at least One neutral one as a base and then go from there.

For pigment samples I like them all really. The only pigment I dont like is Melon and thats cause it just looks gold on me
ssad.gif
But just go to the store and see which ones catch your eye. Also take a look at the FOTD's and see what the girls used it will help you get a better idea of the look each base can give you.
wavey.gif

CrystalStars

clap.gif
Thank you alll soooooooo much!!

I am glad I came and asked. I was going to buy a shade stick because I thought I needed it along with my paint for pigments. Thank goodness I asked..now instead of a shade stick I will just buy a few more pigment samples...since I already own paint.

Thank you all for your pigment suggestions! Im def thinking about rose and melon. Vanilla and violet are for sures..since my eyes are green and I think it will make them pop and I can use the vanilla as a highlight.

I appreciate the help sooo much ladies!
eyelove.gif

liquidsirenhoney

1. I tend to use bare canvas or mixing medium as my bases i don't really care for shadesticks.
2. the only shadestick i own is crimsonaire....i really prefer paints
3. Bright Fushcia, Kelly Green....for neutrals i love deckchair, vanilla, sunny daze and blue brown.....i don't think there are too many pigments i don't like.

Hawkeye

1) I hate shadesticks personally. If you have bare canvas you are good to go. You don't need anymore.
smiles.gif
They do the exact same thing just different consistancy.

2) I dont have one. If you had to get one though I would go for the taupe one. That looks pretty. I just dont like their consistancy personally
smiles.gif

3) Vanilla and Tan.

Glitziegal

Hiya
wavey.gif

#1- if im buying samples of pigments will I need to buy a shade stick if I already have bare canvas paint? I know I read shadesticks help with pigments, but will paint do this as well?
You don't "need" to buy a shadestick, but I find they really make the colours of the pigments stand out, and help them to adhere to your skin.

#2- What is your favorite shade stick color? I really am thinking the next time I buy some mac I wanna get one but I just dont know which I want.
My personal favourites are Beige-ing (which goes with everything), and Sea me

#3- kinda like the second question...but what are your favorite pigment colors
My favourite colours are Ruby Red (which makes green eyes sparkle), Vanilla, Copper Sparkle (again great with green eyes), Bright Fuchsia, Golders green, Emerald, Goldenaire, Basic Red.

HTH

Latest posts