help picking out a 15-palette for a 31-day trip

eowyn797

Okay, the deal is that i'm going on a trip (it's a full month long, for the entire month of September). i get 1 (ONE) 15-palette to take with me. there's a space issue. this is in addition to a handful of small pigment samples i'm taking with me...

I am headed to the Pro store in LA sometime in the next week or so to get the palette and complete my mission, but i need everyone's help!

i am NW20, brown hair, blue-grey eyes. (a really horrible picture, for reference: http://www.livinginthewalls.com/imag...basic/bare.jpg this is me with NOTHING ON, be kind. my skin hates me.)

if ya'll could rec me with what 15 colors you'd put in a palette, i'd be ever so greatful
smiles.gif
preferably 15 from the list of stuff i have/want below, but if you think there's something awesome that you'd include instead, LMK. if one of the colors on the lists has some better cousin, let me know that too, pretty please!

THINGS I DON'T HAVE BUT WANT:

Orange Tangent
Sunsplosion
Goldbit
Swish
Paradisco
Jest
Expensive Pink
White Wheat
Sable
Twinks
Dazzlelight
Satin Taupe
Tempting
Mulch
Goldmine
Amber Lights
Knight Devine
Steamy
Humid
Lustreleaf
Sumptuous Olive
Fiction
Metamorph
Shimmermoss
Waternymph
Blue Absinthe
Idol Eyes
Club
Deep Truth
Sketch

THINGS I HAVE:

Swimming
Bitter
Juxt
Shroom
Tilt
Embark
Bamboo
Romantique
Romp
Surreal
Cranberry
Black Tied
Woodwinked
All That Glitters
Say Yeah

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

BlahWah

Not to burst your bubble, but some of the e/s you listed are LE - I think I caught all of them, so just in case you may want to amend your list of wants for your pro store trip:

Say Yeah
Orange Tangent
Sunsplosion
Goldbit
White Wheat - part of Inventive quad, f.y.i.
Lustreleaf
Sumptuous Olive
Metamorph
Waternymph
Blue Absinthe

There might be a chance you'd find these somewhere, but just so you don't get your hopes up too much.
oh.gif

Out of the ones that are available, here are the ones I'd recommend - not that I'm great with recommendations, but to get the thinking juices flowing:

Woodwinked (staple!)
Black Tied
Juxt
Swimming
Shroom
Tilt
Cranberry
All That Glitters
*Expensive Pink
*Amber Lights
*Sketch
*Mulch

* = wants but don't have

I know that's not a complete palette, but those are ones that jumped out at me, based on your lists.

Actually, what pigments are you bringing? That way you can get a better complemented set to bring with you (i.e. no colours too close to each other).

HTH some!

eowyn797

yeha, i know some of them are LE, but i seem to have had pretty good luck finding stuff on eBay/in sales here, so if there's something that's definitely worth taking, i can pick it up somewhere other than the Pro store.

and thank you! i knew i was definitely getting Mulch. and leaning towards Expensive pink.

Pigments i'm taking: Blue Steel, Melon, Kelly Green, Golden Lemon, Azreal Blue, Accent Red and Cornflower.

Thanks for your help!

Vedra

Hi
smiles.gif
We got very similar coloring (I'm just a bit paler), and my skin is often uneven too, so I thought I'd list what I'd take with me:

neutrals:
- Satin Taupe (it's not LE, and a very pretty cool brown - looks way better on me than reddish browns)
- Knight Divine (not as harsh as Black Tied or Carbon, still dark enough for smokey looks, and even more versatile than Satin Taupe)
- All that Glitters - medium neutral for everyday, and makes the blue eyes pop
- Shroom - natural soft highlight, must take
winks.gif
(with browns, golds)
- maybe Dazzlelight as even more versatile highlight (for color-looks and with grey)
- just if you use your e/s as eyeliner, then maybe + black tied and embark (or another dark brown)

colors:
- Surreal (or Shimmermoss, they're similar, i like Shimmermoss better - love it with Knight Divine, or Humid, or Parfait Amour)
- Expensive Pink (bolder) or Paradisco or maybe Say Yeah - brings out the blue, still for everyday wear
- Swish (very pretty pink!) or Romantique
- Humid (looks great with many colors, good for bold colorful looks)
- Cranberry (for va-voom evening looks, but to wear that I have to make sure my skin's perfectly evened out, else it accents the redness)
- you didn't list purples, and they are among the best colors for me - I'd put in Parfait Amour, Beautiful Iris, and Hepcat!
- Vex! (very versatile lid color, good to combine with the pinks and greens)

I think that'd cover the basics well.

other e/s I like:
Spring Up (LE) and Brill (DC) as colored highlight and lid colors, Shale or Dovefeather for neutral everyday looks, and Nylon or Retrospeck as yellowish/ golden highlights.

I hope I could help a bit - a 15 palette is enough to cover the spectrum, and if you keep the highlights and dark crease colors versatile, you can put in more fun colors or add varied neutralish/ golden lid colors - just as you like! Have fun!
smiles.gif

eowyn797

Quote:
- you didn't list purples, and they are among the best colors for me - I'd put in Parfait Amour, Beautiful Iris, and Hepcat!

Are there any other purples you'd recommend? i am so scared of purple, man...i have no idea how to wear it without looking like a drag queen. or an 80s rocker. i was thinking of Idol Eyes, but i suppose that's too light...I saw Parfait Amour in the store the other day and it's just brightbrightbright. i'm scared! any others you like that either aren't so bright or that you could point me the way to a picture of how to wear it without looking...very purple
smiles.gif

re: everything else you said: THANK YOU! that was very very helpful. i've narrowed it down to 12 or so that i'm sure i'm taking, so i have room for at least 2 purples, if i can find some that work on me. maybe when i'm at the pro store i'll have them put purple things on me and convince me that i can wear the stuff
smiles.gif

Vedra

Quote:
Originally Posted by eowyn797
...I saw Parfait Amour in the store the other day and it's just brightbrightbright. i'm scared! any others you like that either aren't so bright or that you could point me the way to a picture of how to wear it without looking...very purple
smiles.gif

I only listed the brighter purples cause I saw many bold colors in your lists, so I figured you'd prefer them
lol.gif
. I never wear colors like Parfait Amour allover, but use the "bright brights"
greengrin.gif
mostly as lower liner or outer lid accent - f.i. Lovely Lily Pigment or Beautiful Iris or Digit on lid, a neutral like Knight Divine or Flirty Number (LE) or Satin Taupe in the crease, and a brighter Purple as lower liner. If you prefer darker lid colors or even less purple
winks.gif
, you can also skip the pastel purple lid and use neutrals from lid to crease instead (the ones I listed f.i. will harmonize with the liner nonetheless).

Very toned down purples I like would be f.i. Crystal (barely there, and my lids are practically off-white
lol.gif
), Idol Eyes (almost no color, but way too glittery for everyday, I use to layer it wet over middle lid for evening looks), Little Minx (LE, greyish purple), and Dovefeather (neutralized matte purple, I use it as crease color - very unobtrusive day look together with Crystal or Seedy Pearl). Hepcat is more pink with a hint of purple, and looks great with Knight Divine (again
winks.gif
) and a bit of Blacktied for going out.

Another way to avoid purple allover if you like multicolored looks: Shimmermoss on lid, grey crease, purple lower liner. Or Hot Pink (like Hepcat, Fuchsia, maybe Full Flame? haven't seen it irl yet) on lid, Purple in crease/ ll. Or as crease color with a pastel yellow/ peach (Spring up, Gold Dusk, Melon) on lid and as inner ll, looks elegant and summery, and not too colorful - one of my favs.

It's a good idea to voice your concern to a MA you trust, they will surely help you find something you like - and if they tell you a kickass-combination for blue-grey eyes, purple or not, I'd really like to know too
greengrin.gif
!

Latest posts