Help w/ colors for stage lighting

mz_izzz

Hi There!
I'm a newbie to the site and this is my first post. I am hoping you all can give me some great feedback.

I am competing in a figure competition and need some help with colors, especially eyes and lips. Despite being a "woman of color", I will have on tanning products b/c the stage lighting is really bright (theater lighting). I am looking for recs to really make my eyes POP and a nice color for lips. I have attached photos of my suit and of me - tho I will be a few shades darker for the competition.

What do you think?

Thanks!

SerenityRaine

Welcome! Watch out this place is addicting =)
I LOVE how golds, bronzes and other metallic colors look on women of color. They definitely help the eyes pop.

For Lid colors to use from your Lashline to Crease:
Amber Lights,Romp,Mythology,Paradisco,Silver Ring

For the Outter V (corner of your eye) of your Lid:
Copper Pigment, Cranberry, Beauty Marked, Coppering,Black Tied

The Inner V (corner of your eye):
Phloof!, Hush, Dazzlelight,Forgery

Brow Highlight:
Gleam,Honey Lust,In Living Pink, Expensive Pink,Rondelle

Plush Glass: Wet Wild Wonderful, Big Kiss, Oversexed

Lipstick:plum Dandy, Jubilee, Honey Flower, Midimauve, Mystic

Btw, congrats & good luck on the competition! Definitely takes a lot of hard work & patience which is admirable.

mz_izzz

Thanks so much! It has taken a lot of work, I've lost over 25 lbs!! Now, that my body is together, I've got to really be able to make it (and my face) stand out!

And yes, this place is addictive! LOL!

SerenityRaine

Glad that I could be of help =) Congrats on the 25lbs! That takes a lot of work! I'm a yo-yo dieter =/..sugar is evil. Ahhh, if only losing weight was as easy as gaining weight lol

I just thought of some more colors, I added them to the previous post in bold.

mz_izzz

Help with eyes/lips for figure/beauty competition

O.K., ladies,

Where are the rest of you??? Help a new sista out, k??

I usually wear NC45, but will probably go to NC50 for the competition. Would you recommend poweder or liquid foundation? I've heard the powder can give you the "ashy" look.

I have the following pigments:

TAN
DARK SOUL
PINK OPAL
COPPER SPARKLE
BLUE BROWN BLUE STORM
COCO RARE PIGMENT
OLD GOLD PIGMENT

Any other recommendations on what to wear on eyes and how? Would you suggest any other colors? What about lips? I need the make up to be "heavy" for the stage lights and photos. TIA!
cheerleader.gif

contrabassoon

I don't know about the foundation... it doesn't work well with camera flashes. Maybe you could try NARS or Smashbox?

Oh, and since I do attend a school for the arts, I have come to realize that red lips are great for the stage. Maybe wear something like Russian Red or Chili.

ebonyannette

I like liquid foundation for photos etc. You can also go with a cream like MAC's full coverage foundation that will give you the most coverage for on stage. You can still go over it with pressed powder or my favorte loose blot powder to set it.

for cheeks make sure you highlight them with Bronze CCB or Peachtwist Blush and then use a deeper color like Raizin or Frame to contour.

As far as eyeshadow colors I think a green smokey eye or use your dark soul pigment with silver ring or knight devine e/s

For the lips, I love Pure Vanity l/g you must must must use a lipliner try Redd lipliner

MAC_Pixie04

I think liquid foundation will work best for stage lighting, with a light translucent powder over it to hold it in place and control shine. I like MUFE Face and Body for stage makeup because it's waterproof and sweatproof, so depending on what you'll be doing on the stage (you said competition, so I'm assuming dance, perhaps?) it'll last a bit longer. For the eyes, i'd go a little bit contoured but not too dark, because if your eyes are too dark people in the seats further away from the stage will get the image that your eyes are closed or that you have no eyeballs lol I've seen that at many a dance concert. I'd use shimmery colors, perhaps tan pigment on the lid, vanilla pigment on the browbone and something darker in the crease to give shape to the eye like Swiss Chocolate, Brown Down, Wedge or Cork, depending on how dark your skintone is etc. For the cheeks, I'd contour under the cheekbones with a darker powder, i like to use Blunt powder blush by MAC or Metal Rock MSF (if you already have this, if you don't, good luck finding one!) Then a natural finish blush and something shimmer along the cheekbones and up the temples to highlight the skin. I would keep the lips low key but noticeable, a dark neutral color, and dust loose powder over that too so that it doesn't come off.

hope that helps =)

mz_izzz

Thanks so much! Your advice has helped tremendously. Today I picked up some MUFE face & body. I hadn't even considered that I would need something that would be "sweat proof" since I don't usually wear make up to the gym! LOL! I got a nice blush by NARS and once my order of MAC pigments comes in, I'm going to play around with those. You all have definitely given me some ideas to get started.

CoCo

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_izzz
Thanks so much! Your advice has helped tremendously. Today I picked up some MUFE face & body. I hadn't even considered that I would need something that would be "sweat proof" since I don't usually wear make up to the gym! LOL! I got a nice blush by NARS and once my order of MAC pigments comes in, I'm going to play around with those. You all have definitely given me some ideas to get started.

CoCo

Congratulations on your new adventure. I am also a national level competitor and can tell you that the best foundation to wear for this is Studio Tech. You should set it with a good powder. I use Studio Finish pressed powder. Wearing false eyelashes is also a must because you will look more feminine and make your eyes pop. You also want to do a bright lipstick!
Good luck!

mz_izzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACaholic76
Congratulations on your new adventure. I am also a national level competitor and can tell you that the best foundation to wear for this is Studio Tech. You should set it with a good powder. I use Studio Finish pressed powder. Wearing false eyelashes is also a must because you will look more feminine and make your eyes pop. You also want to do a bright lipstick!
Good luck!

Hi Amanda!!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just starting out, but I would love one day to grace a National figure stage! I have a long way to go, tho! LOL!

When I went to the MAC counter they told me that they didn't carry any "waterproof" make up in the store, so I was hesitant to purchase anything at the counter. I did buy some fake lashes, too. I can't wait to put it all together!!

Best of luck with your training/competitions this year!

Oh, one question - do you use Dream Tan? If so, how do you keep it from messing up your suits during changes? If not, what do you use on the day of show for extra shine?

MACaholic76

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_izzz
Hi Amanda!!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just starting out, but I would love one day to grace a National figure stage! I have a long way to go, tho! LOL!

When I went to the MAC counter they told me that they didn't carry any "waterproof" make up in the store, so I was hesitant to purchase anything at the counter. I did buy some fake lashes, too. I can't wait to put it all together!!

Best of luck with your training/competitions this year!

Oh, one question - do you use Dream Tan? If so, how do you keep it from messing up your suits during changes? If not, what do you use on the day of show for extra shine?

In my opinion you dont really need "sweat proof" makeup. Yes the lights make you hot but unlike the bodybuilders, we are not on stage for that long. Studio Tech is what we all use backstage and what I use on the girls that I do makeup for.

Yes, I do use Dream Tan and basically I work around the suit. I'm not sure what organization you are doing this competition in, but most dont allow trainers/significant others backstage, in which case, you'd want to have one of the other girls assist you with the application. You want to put it on before you go on stage. I also use a self tanner a couple of weeks before or spray tan to give me more color.
Hope that helped.