Help wise MAC ladies

karmakitten

I am an absolute total nOObie to MAC. I stumbled across this site an was amazed by the stunning makeup you girls are doing. {insert extreme jealously here!!
th_wink3.gif
)

So I'm heading into the city (Sydney) to get some MAC supplies.

For someone who currently has NO MAC cosmetics what would you consider to be absolutely essential to start my collection.

I have dark red hair and green/hazel eyes if that helps.

Will need eyeshadow and brushes, lip gloss etc. Is there like a starter pack thing you can buy??

I think Syd is the closest supplier but does anyone from New South Wales know if you can get MAC in Wollongong.

Also how much would I be looking at spending to get a decent amount of basics.

Thanks so much for you help.

MACForME

Welcome to the world of MAC. I have turned on a few people to it, and everyone started out getting their face done at a counter or store. Then choosing from that. It was the easiest way to see what looked good. I dont know how much MAC is by you, but here in the US a single e/s pot is about 13.00 USD. My friend ended up spending almost 200. USD the first time there, but she bought ALOT, everything from cleansers to brushes (which are real expensive). So, let them do your face for you.. and see how you make out from there.

Jessica

I would give the MA's free reign on color choices, they very rarely are off the mark. Colors to bring out your eyes hmmm: maybe Goldmine, Texture, Juxt, Swimming, Hepcat, Greensmoke, Mulch, Beauty Marked, Amber Lights are a few that I would take a look at. HAve Fun!!!!

midnightlouise

hi and welcome! My coloring is similar to yours, and a few things for me that are must haves are Naked Lunch & Nylon e/s, VGV & Sunnyboy lipglasses, High Tea lipstick, and the 242, 239, & 129 brushes. I have tons of favorites, (of course lol!) but I reach for the stuff I mentioned above more than anything else. Also if you're looking at pigments, my picks are Vanilla and Coco (if you can still get it). I'd think you could pick up some really nice basics for around $200-$300 USD. Hope this helps a little! Oh, and make sure you post your haul when you get it!
greengrin.gif

Hawkeye

You're colouring is gorgeous. You can get buy with anything. Some must haves imho, are
Yogurt, Girlie, Patina, Mulch, Greensmoke, Shroom, but seriously I would go for the more vivid colours.

rouquinne

get the basics FIRST -

eyes - Mulch, Naked Lunch, Shroom
blush - Peachy Keen
lipstick - Hug Me, Viva Glam 5
lipglass - Oh Baby, Viva Glam 5

save the vivid colours for later, seriously.

locations in Australia can be found at the MAC website -

www.maccosmetics.com

Janice

I won't reccomend colors, but I will reccomend some basic must have products in my opinion of priority:

Paint (it's an eyeshadow base, the Makeup Artist at the counter will explain to you how to use it)
Eyeshadows
At least ONE eyeshadow brush (MAC products do NOT come packaged with applicators)
Lipgloss
Lipliner
Lipstick
Foundation( if you don't have one you already love)
Blush

Also brows are something new people tend to forget about, but they are SO important. Ask the MA who helps you to fill in your brows for you when you get your makeup done.

In AUS the prices are so high you would probabaly spend $150-200 just getting the bare minimum staples.
ssad.gif
ITS TOTALLY WORTH IT!
greengrin.gif

glittergoddess27

I would get one of each of these:

1 paint
1 shadestick
1 lipglass
1 lipstick
1 blush
1 Filled e/s Quad (Veluxe pearls blends awesomely)
1 lip pencil
1 eye kohl
1 fluidliner
1 Pro lash
242 brush (Can be used for emollients or shadows)

And start working with that. Then once you figure out what you like then go for it. Remember, if you get something and it isnt working for you MAC will exchange/refund it withing like what 30 days?

Hikaru-chan

Paint in Stillife
E/S in Naked Lunch, Mulch and Sumptuous Olive
Eye Kohl in Teddy
Blush Duo in Pinkerpeach and Trustfund
Lip Pencil in Stripdown
Lipstick in Hug Me and Viva Glam V
Lipglass in Gitane (if you can still get hold of it)
Lustreglass in Palatial and Star Nova
Brushes #190, #239, #318

Sanne

if you're going soon, take a look at brill eyeshadow (it will be discontinued soon, and it's pastel blue/aqua), shroom o phloof as a highlighter, and juxt eyeshadow, d'bohemia eyeshadow, stillife paint and barecanvas paint, deckchair pigment.
lipgloss: viva glam V, wonderstruck, pinkarat
brushes: eyes:224(!!!) 239 and 222 (if you can get it) for face: foundationbrush: 190.

do not get any foundation from mac, especially studiofix, that one gives me huge breakouts!!!