Help with 224 brush

FireLily0

Ok-

So my brush is not "working" properly. Everytime that I use it (224 brush), it never picks up eye shadow or pigment but instead wipes off my eyeshadow that is already on my eye. I am thinking that the bristles on the brush are kinda worn, otherwise they would work correctly. It was my friend's brush that she gave to me and she really does not take care of her makeup... Should I just buy a new brush? Thanks
smiles.gif

lara

The 224 is a blending brush - by their nature blending brushes are soft and dense, and only give a very soft wash of colour when used as an applicator brush. Because it's used to move around product that's already on the eye, you're finding that it's just wiping and smudging what's already there when you attempt to use it as a colour depositing brush.
Brushes can't be worn down through normal use. It's just that you're using the brush for something it's not designed to do, so you find it isn't working properly. Switch over to a firm bristled brush to apply your eyeshadow and keep the 224 for blending/soft washes of colour, and it'll work just fine.
smiles.gif

Also, I'd strongly recommend against sharing a brush with your friend unless you're really anal about thoroughly disinfecting it between uses. Conjuntivitis and other eye infections can really strain a friendship.

FireLily0

I guess I was just using it for the wrong reasons - just trying to copy a tutorial but my other brushes work better. I know its a blending brush, but shouldn't I be able to pick up some color with it? Thanks
smiles.gif

Also, my friend gave it to me because she never used it and I was going to buy one - instead I got it for free. That brush was cleaned many times before I even used it
smiles.gif
. Hah, I have taken one too many Microbiology classes to not disinfect stuff like that (I never even let my friends borrow brushes, eye/lip/face stuff).

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireLily0
I guess I was just using it for the wrong reasons - just trying to copy a tutorial but my other brushes work better. I know its a blending brush, but shouldn't I be able to pick up some color with it? Thanks
smiles.gif

Blending brushes usually only pick up a minute amount of coloured product and apply it very sheerly. The rule of thumb is the firmer the bristle, the more colour product it collects and deposits.
smiles.gif

Latest posts