How can I use black eye liner & not look GOTH??

roxybc

I'm a very fair (NC20) with natural blonde hair and blue eyes. I always love the FOTD's I see with people who line the upper lids and inner eyes with black liner. I can get away with the black liner on my top lid just dine, but when I got for that really neat look where the inner rims are also lined in black (so the black is all the way around the eye) I look like a pale freaky goth girl on crack! It just looks awful on me for some reason, but so great on other people. Is there anything that I can do to make this look "normal" or good on me??? Any tips on smuding or application or anything?

Pushpa

i would say line it just like that and then take a really frosty color and lineing a little on the inner corners of your eye at the bottom and top lemme find a pic of what i am talking about

Sanne

try dark brown, it still looks black but it gives a softer look. I stopped using black eyeliner some time ago, it's nly suitable for super glamorous makeup, not for everyday use. I reccomend dipdown fluidliner!

GimpyPoop

Yo,
I agree with using brown perhaps and either applying a really really thin line or smudge out the brown so it's lightly and feathery and nice and sultry looking.
LN

user79

I think black eyeliner is really harsh for fair skinned people with light coloured eyes and blonde hair. It always looks a bit...cheap, or something. Either use a brown, or just use a kohl pencil to mark your waterline. Or, you could use a soft grey colour eyeshadow and use an angled brush to line, that will make it look more softer and not as stark.

cyens

im blond and pale. use black-browns, soft black, or dark brown, with matching mascara.

The best bet is dark browns

blueyedlady87

I'd say just tightline your upper lid. Tightlining is to do the waterline. I just push my lashes flat to my eyelid (with my other hand) so I can see clearly and then carefully line it. My fav is MACs Fluidline with a 208 or 209 brush. Youll love it. it lasts all day long!

roxybc

Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I've never heard of tightlining before! I'll have to give that a tru. I already own Blitz and Glitz Fluidline, but I find it such a pain in the ass to apply, it takes me FOREVER to get it on perfect, so I usually don't bother with it. I'm also planning on getting the new dark grey fluidline that comes out with the summer collection (Lure/Bait/Hooked). I'll take a look at finding a really dark brown liner when I'm out next. I'm just not sure if dark brown would look like how I'm wanting it too.

Reynaldoc: Great link! Thanks very much, I'm going to try this tomorrow!!

Katgirl625

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybc
Wow, thanks for the replies guys! I've never heard of tightlining before! I'll have to give that a tru. I already own Blitz and Glitz Fluidline, but I find it such a pain in the ass to apply, it takes me FOREVER to get it on perfect, so I usually don't bother with it. I'm also planning on getting the new dark grey fluidline that comes out with the summer collection (Lure/Bait/Hooked). I'll take a look at finding a really dark brown liner when I'm out next. I'm just not sure if dark brown would look like how I'm wanting it too.

Reynaldoc: Great link! Thanks very much, I'm going to try this tomorrow!!

Tightlining is amazing. Make sure you use a flat brush, it really makes a difference. Lourdes' tips on that link are awesome - that's my girl!

Raerae

Nother thumbs up for tightlining...

I just use my liner pencil to do it. I put the pencil in my inner corner, angle it slightly upwards, and close my eye. Then carefully run my pencil from inner to outer corner. I kinda do tiny back and fourth movements (like maybe 1/4 and inch) until i've made it across my eye.

I never line above my upper lashes, but I wont leave the house w/out tightlining LOL...

JMKess

What about trying a smokey grey liner instead? I'm a very dark brunette with dark brown eyes and sometimes black is too heavy even on me (I'm pale). I LOVE MAC Phone Number - it might be the perfect eye khol. Don't get me wrong, I love Smolder, but Phone Number just adds a lighter dimension.

I usually smoke it out further with a q-tip, just to "mop up" some of the excess. It gives a defined eye, but I don't look like a Goth chick!

Jennifer
lol.gif

roxybc

I wore black eye liner today (on my tops lids only) and I smoked it up a bit with a Q-tip. I don't mind black liner on my top lid, but I just love the way it looks when you line your entire eye with black - but I gues just not on me! LOL!

I did buy a dark grey liner today, so I'll try some new stuff out with that. And I've still gotta try the tightlining!!!

Latest posts