How did you decide on your child's name?

fingie

Was is a Jr? Family name? You pulled it out of a hat?

I hope this hasn't been asked before (I did a search but didn't see anything like this) but a few ladies and I were talking about it at work and it made me wonder about you ladies (and gents if there are any dads who read this board!).

My daughter's name is Adrianna Faith;

I had always like the name Gianna (except I wanted to spell it with a J instead of a G since my mom and I are both J names--I'm Jessica, she is Jerilyn and wanted to "keep it going") but my boyfriend/baby's father shot it down instantaneously. So we got the baby name book, started with A, and when we got to "Adrianna", we both liked it and that was that. As for her middle name, "Faith" was my grandmother's middle name.

Now share your story(ies)!
yes.gif

CaraAmericana

Sebastian D'Marco Benitez

My father went to San Sebastian church in Mexico and my mother loves the name Marco and if another boy had been born after me, he was going to be named that but my mom miscarried. And since his father was cheating and was deported, he got my last name.

So I combined them and added the D'

I feel it is very stong name and has history behind it thanks to his lovely Grandparents!

BTW, I was named after Stella Stevens...ew.

fingie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraAmericana
Sebastian D'Marco Benitez

I love that name! Since it's pretty long do you call him by any nicknames or is it Sebastian every time? With Adrianna we call her Adri or Lil' A for short sometimes
smiles.gif

CaraAmericana

I call him Sebby, but I hate hearing someone else call him that. But most of the time I can him "papa"

For the record I love Gianna.

labellavita7

Well I don't have any children, but my mother loved my first name from the baby book, then my middle name is after my great grandmother. Kristen Rose.

My sister's first name is from a distant cousin I believe, and her middle name is my mother's name. Kathryn Teresa.

gigglegirl

I don't have any children but I want to use names that aren't crazy popular (when I was growing up and beginning to work I couldn't believe how many Jennifers and Johns there were--all having to be called slightly different like Jen G, Jen S etc or Jen, Jenny, Jennifer---gets to be a little much!) but not so obscure that its hard to pronounce.

If I were to have a child tomorrow (won't happen anytime soon) but I like the names Cadence or Charisma for a girl. I'm sure that'll change by the time I have kids!

purrtykitty

No children, but my mother liked the Irish derivation of her name, so she chose another name with the same derivation, Karen, but since she knew people with that name, she decided to go with a different spelling - the Dutch version, Karin. My middle name is Elizabeth...it's a family name on both my mom's and dad's side of the family. BTW...my parents were expecting me to be a boy named Kevin (before the time of ultrasounds) based on my heartbeat. Big surprise for them!

If and when my husband and I are ready to have children, I think I will probably go with family names. I've been mulling this over for the past couple of years and I keep coming to the same conclusion. But who knows, maybe that will change once I actually see my child.

divinedime

Madisyn Rae Acosta

My dad's name is Madison and I'm his only child and none of my aunts had any children so it is kind of my tribute to him since there wouldn't be any jrs. Rae is a shortened version of my middle name Raenae.

Brooklyn Paige Acosta
Now her name was picked off a board of sorts. I was going to name her
Delanie or Delaney but I wasn't really "satisfied" with the name. So one day we are in Chilli's restaurant and I see Brooklyn on a pepper like someone with that name had donated a dollar. I was like I would have never thought of Brooklyn as a name and I didn't know any Brooklyn's so it stuck with me. Paige was a girl that I went to school with and she was the first and only Paige I have yet to met. I also wanted a name with a y in it cause I think drop letters look so cute (provided you have nice handwriting LOL) So I guess Brooklyn's name came from me trying to be different and rebelling, because no one in my family liked the name and most of them will call her Paige to this day.

CandyKisses1018

my dad named me kristina marie after his bestfriend/cousin growing up. =)

if i am preggo, which i might be, idk yet.. thne i am going to name my girl niaomi after my aunt that died or camille (just cuz i like that name) if its a guy i want to name him mathew,zach, or something cute like that

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyKisses1018
my dad named me kristina marie after his bestfriend/cousin growing up. =)

My name is Christina Marie! Funny thing: I went to my uncles for a family thing when I was about and was playing with the girl next door who was a year younger than me and her name is Christina Marie. We both go by Chrissy though and that's strange because most Chrissy's don't spell Chrissy like that. We're friends to this day.
smiles.gif

The hubby and I decided on Liam Jonas Manfred for our son. Liam because I am of Scot-Irish decent and Jonas because we both love the name and Manfred is the hubby's middle name and his fathers name. So yeah. Exciting I know.

xmrsvindieselx

I have no kids yet..( and not for a while haha) but I have always wanted to name my daughter Adrianna. I wanted Jolie as a middle name..but then it sounds too much like Angelina Jolie. So I might just do Adrianna Marie.

for a boy, I want Jayden. Not too sure on a middle name yet.

My name is Anjelique. My parents just liked the name.. and my middle name is Monique. I knoww. it rhymes lol.

edit- I guess its a good thing my parents agreed on Anjelique, because my dad wanted to name me Petunia haha! ( well he used to tell me that alllll the time when i was younger!)

Mandypaul

I have two children my first is a little girl called

Chloe - my partner chose this name as he had a friend growing up and his little sister was called Chloe and the name always stuck with him as a favourite

Jack - My partners two grandads were called Jack and my mum is Jackie lol

Briar

We didn't know whether we were having a boy or girl while I was pregnant. We had decided long before having kids that if we had a boy his first name would be the same as my husband's father who died when he was young. We decided on my maiden name as a middle name. If we had a girl the name was one that my husband kind of pulled out of the air, Mirranda, and we both liked it. We had a boy so his name's Duane. What's really annoying is that a "friend" who had a girl about a year and a half after our son was born and named her Miranda, so now if we have a girl we have to come up with a completely different name.
ssad.gif

fingie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar
We didn't know whether we were having a boy or girl while I was pregnant. We had decided long before having kids that if we had a boy his first name would be the same as my husband's father who died when he was young. We decided on my maiden name as a middle name. If we had a girl the name was one that my husband kind of pulled out of the air, Mirranda, and we both liked it. We had a boy so his name's Duane. What's really annoying is that a "friend" who had a girl about a year and a half after our son was born and named her Miranda, so now if we have a girl we have to come up with a completely different name.
ssad.gif

A woman I work with has a daughter named Rashianna (not sure on the exact spelling, but that's my best guess) and she "made up" the name while she was pregnant (her daughter is 8 or so I think now) and a family member of hers had a baby girl recently and named her the EXACT same thing! That would p*ss me off so badly, like c'mon...be creative!

lainz

i have SO many names picked out....i wanna have 4+ kids lol....only child syndrome here....i want a big family since i missed out on growing up like that. so here we go:

giordana rose
isabella lucia
izobel jude

alessandro manuel
domenic something
nico something
aiden something
aaaaaand.....

guiseppe. from the moment i heard this name, i LOVED it. i know no one will ever pronounce it correctly, and my future son will suffer, but he will be the raddest kid everrrr!

Evey

I basically let my husband pick the names. We're having a girl in April and her name is going to be Alyssa Marie. If we were going to have a boy his name was going to be Bobby Joel. Bobby after my husband and Joel after his grandfather. I really wanted to name her Julissa Yvette. He liked the name but everyone else did not....so I just let him pick the name lol. We're happy with the names we picked.

mrsgray

Cameron Dimitri

when I was 6mo pregnant with him the docs told me he was a girl so we chose the name Breyanna Chianne, at 8mo we found out he was in fact a boy and we chose Cameron(dad's first name is Claude and I didn't like that name) middle name is Dimitri (his dad's middle name).

Funny story..his father has a twin brother named Larry Dani'el (pronounced like Danielle) well his son's mother named her son Cameron Dani'el. So the cousins are Cameron Dani'el & Cameron Dimitri and they are a couple months apart in age.

I was told there was a soap opera on the tv in my mom's room when she was in labor with me and the character she fell in love with was named Katrina and that's how I got my name. Now I carry a hurricane on my back
ssad.gif
My dad wanted to name me Jennifer or Rosalyn(glad my mom won that fight)

jenNpaci

I have no plans for any kids in the future but my bf's name is awful.

His name is Paciano (P-ah-c-an-o) which I've managed to change to Pacey (yess like dawsons friend) so if we ever get married and have kids and he wanted it to be like his name (yes b/c is NEVER gonna be his name) i like the name Paxton =D

For a girls name...I have no idea i really liked the name Lyla for a while.