How do I make shadow liner stay?

Dianora

Today I tried using Black Tied in the smoked eye palette as a liner, using my 209 brush. I was very impressed with how well it went on and how pigmented it is - I barely had to get any on the brush for it to show up nice and dark. It stayed all day on my eyelids, but started getting smudged and disappearing a little under my lower lashes after just a few hours. Does anyone have any tips on how to give eye shadow used as liner some staying power? I used it dry; I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to get the shadow wet.

flowerhead

That would be the oils underneath your eyes making the shadow run. I heard that using a bit of loose powder before application helps, or maybe eyeshadow primer? And no, it wouldn't be a good idea to get the shadow wet.

Ada

What i do is use a similarly colored regular liner (like a Powerpoint) and apply the shadow over top of that. The combination of powder and cream sets very well and really lasts!

lindsay

I find using a flat liner brush (I'm almost positive it's the 212) and press the shadow into your lashline it stays pretty much all day. Also, before I use any eyeshadow at all I apply beige-ing shadestick to my entire lid AND right under the lower lashline which helps the e\s stay on all day. Hope this helps!
smiles.gif

Bre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ada
What i do is use a similarly colored regular liner (like a Powerpoint) and apply the shadow over top of that. The combination of powder and cream sets very well and really lasts!

I second this, also if you use your 266 brush instead of the 209 and press on the eyeshadow onto your liner you will be able to apply more product

betseyjohnson

also using mac eyeliner mixing medium helps too if u just dab a tiny tiny bit on to the edge of ur 266 before dipping in shadow

asnbrb

Eyeliner mixing medium, She-laq and fix + all work wonders. (For Fix +, load up your flat brush and and spray a gentle mist onto it.)

moonrevel

I also do the pencil liner with shadow on top of it, especially for lower lining (it helps fight off end of the day eye boogers). I concur that the 212 is a really nice brush for "pushing" liner shadows into the lash line. It is by far my favorite lining brush for powder!

If you do want to go the wet lining route, I've found that the best way to do it without getting a film on your shadows is to load both sides of the brush edge (I also use the 212 for this) up with powder, tap it off lightly, and then either spray it with Fix+ or put a drop of Water Based Mixing Medium on it. You should get enough for both eyes out of this, it will be more vibrant and last longer, and will avoid the eyeshadow caking of doom!

Dianora

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I was using Black Tied as a liner since I currently don't own a normal black liner, and Fix + makes my skin turn splotchy and red. Using a shadestick underneath has done a lot to help prolong it.

diesel

To add to the She-laq and Liner mix/med list, Lise Watier makes Metamorfix that isn't too bad.

Latest posts