how do you get a soft smooth look with foundation?

jayangel10

Hi, I was watching tv the other day (General Hospital's Robin) and i was just in amazement of her makeup. It was natural but what really made me stop and take notice was that her foundation came off looking soo smooth and SOFT. Anyone have suggestions on what could achieve that look...? What do MSF's do? Maybe a translucent powder? I usually do liquid foundation(NC 42), concealer and then a pressed powder on top (NC43). Maybe a brush? Also suggestions for letting the makeup last longer, by the end of the day it looks like i didn't have any foundation on at all. Any ideas would really be helpful! Thank you sooo much!
-JAY

Holly

To make the foundation last, I suggest Smashboxes Photo Finish Primer, makes your foundation last
smiles.gif
As for making foundation look smooth and soft, blend blend blend that foundation in with circular motions with a buffer brush, and set with some powder.

HTH!
smiles.gif

saniyairshad

iagree.gif
I totally agree with Holly, a primer really helps to set ur foundation and make it look super soft and super smooth. Smashbox makes an excellent primer. Smashbox Photo Finish, it is lovely and gives ur skina dewy and glowy look...gorgeous
smiles.gif

Dark_Phoenix

Exfoliate when you wash and apply moisturizer.
Also try using a powder form instead of a liquid. I know it sounds crazy, but powder can diffuse light better then alot of liquids (like in mineral foundation especially). And apply with a sponge and NOT your hands.

emilyjoy

If you have acne prone skin I'd suggest Laura Gellar Spackle primer, Smashbox tends to make people break out.

jayangel10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
To make the foundation last, I suggest Smashboxes Photo Finish Primer, makes your foundation last
smiles.gif
As for making foundation look smooth and soft, blend blend blend that foundation in with circular motions with a buffer brush, and set with some powder.HTH!
smiles.gif

Thanks for the advice, i'm going to try and head to the mall today! Just a question what does a buffer brush do? Do you prefer powder foundation or something like studio tech?
-Jay

jayangel10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma_Frost
Also try using a powder form instead of a liquid. I know it sounds crazy, but powder can diffuse light better then alot of liquids (like in mineral foundation especially). And apply with a sponge and NOT your hands.

What are your suggestions for exfoliating?

hyperRealGurl

Quote:

I agree with u 100% i also think using a good foundation brush works well too

zaralovesmac

I think using a foundation brush works wonders.I had always used my hands/fingers but a brush makes my make-up look airbrushed.I was told by an MA that a brush maximises the coverage of a foundation so if you already use a full coverage foundation,a brush might make it look caked (I made this mistake by using a brush to apply Estee Lauder Double Wear...waaay too much coverage!).I guess it depends on the application technique aswell..don't apply all at once..build it up.I use my 190 with a medium coverage foundation and it goes on flawlessly and lasts.Sponges are better for giving that subtle naturally flawless effect,whatever the foundation.Hope that makes sense!
smiles.gif

~Coco~

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaralovesmac
I think using a foundation brush works wonders.I had always used my hands/fingers but a brush makes my make-up look airbrushed.I was told by an MA that a brush maximises the coverage of a foundation so if you already use a full coverage foundation,a brush might make it look caked (I made this mistake by using a brush to apply Estee Lauder Double Wear...waaay too much coverage!).I guess it depends on the application technique aswell..don't apply all at once..build it up.I use my 190 with a medium coverage foundation and it goes on flawlessly and lasts.Sponges are better for giving that subtle naturally flawless effect,whatever the foundation.Hope that makes sense!
smiles.gif

May I ask which brush you use to put the foundation on with? Thanks!

MAC_Whore

Everyone has great suggestions, but also keep in mind that airbrush foundation is pretty much the standard now in the entertainment industry. That is why they look so stunning.
winks.gif

Dark_Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayangel10
What are your suggestions for exfoliating?

St. Ives Apricot Scrub. It's gentle enough so it doesn't hurt your skin, but still rough enough to slough off dead skin.

claresauntie

Here's my reccs:

1. Exfoliate! It gives a nice smooth base for your foundation. I do this daily. The miracle product I recommend?: aspirin. It's salicylic acid, which helps clean crap out of your pores and is the same stuff in a lot of anti-acne products! I use MAC Cleanse-off Oil and rub it in to breakdown the makeup/grime/crap and leave it on. Then I take about 4 uncoated generic aspirin tablets and hold them in my palm. I drip a bit of warm water into my hand and after about 20 seconds the aspirins dissolve. Then I rub that into my face, on top of the cleansing oil. (You don't have to use the oil, but I like it. You can just use the wet aspirin. Or you can use Extra-virgin Olive Oil or honey or whatever- check the recipes/suggestions on makeupalley.com for more ideas on that). Then I rinse it all off. In fact, sometimes I do this in the shower in the morning (the aspirin part- I take my makeup off at night!). In the shower, I can easily exfoliate my throat and decolletage, too.

2. Moisturize. I use a variety of things, including Strobe Cream.

3. Let the moisturizer sink in, then put on primer. I LOVE Prep + Prime Skin. (Didn't like the Smashbox product, but that's just a personal opinion. Lots of people like it).

4. Let the primer "set" for a few minutes while you do your hair or pour some coffee or whatever.

5. Use a brush to apply concealer if needed.

6. Use a brush to apply foundation if needed.

7. Use a buffer brush to apply MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in the appropriate color. Buff in with said buffer brush used in circular motion. Repeat until coverage is satisfactory.

8. Apply highlighting product if desired. I love to buff Lightscaped MSF into the skin, and I also use Strobe Cream. Sometimes I use a few products from Armani and Smashbox. If it's a cream product, PAT it on lightly, don't rub it in. I apply highlighter to the tops of my cheekbones, lightly down the center of the nose, above the outer brow, the tip of the chin, just above the cupid's bow of the lip. I use this SPARINGLY. You want a glow, not an oily or slick look!

9. The final touch: two spritzes of Fix+.

BEAUTIFUL SKIN AWAITS!
lol.gif

PS: So glad Robin is back on GH! She's one of my favorites!
rofl.gif

jayangel10

Quote:
Originally Posted by claresauntie
Here's my reccs:

1. Exfoliate! It gives a nice smooth base for your foundation. I do this daily. The miracle product I recommend?: aspirin. It's salicylic acid, which helps clean crap out of your pores and is the same stuff in a lot of anti-acne products! I use MAC Cleanse-off Oil and rub it in to breakdown the makeup/grime/crap and leave it on. Then I take about 4 uncoated generic aspirin tablets and hold them in my palm. I drip a bit of warm water into my hand and after about 20 seconds the aspirins dissolve. Then I rub that into my face, on top of the cleansing oil. (You don't have to use the oil, but I like it. You can just use the wet aspirin. Or you can use Extra-virgin Olive Oil or honey or whatever- check the recipes/suggestions on makeupalley.com for more ideas on that). Then I rinse it all off. In fact, sometimes I do this in the shower in the morning (the aspirin part- I take my makeup off at night!). In the shower, I can easily exfoliate my throat and decolletage, too.

2. Moisturize. I use a variety of things, including Strobe Cream.

3. Let the moisturizer sink in, then put on primer. I LOVE Prep + Prime Skin. (Didn't like the Smashbox product, but that's just a personal opinion. Lots of people like it).

4. Let the primer "set" for a few minutes while you do your hair or pour some coffee or whatever.

5. Use a brush to apply concealer if needed.

6. Use a brush to apply foundation if needed.

7. Use a buffer brush to apply MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in the appropriate color. Buff in with said buffer brush used in circular motion. Repeat until coverage is satisfactory.

8. Apply highlighting product if desired. I love to buff Lightscaped MSF into the skin, and I also use Strobe Cream. Sometimes I use a few products from Armani and Smashbox. If it's a cream product, PAT it on lightly, don't rub it in. I apply highlighter to the tops of my cheekbones, lightly down the center of the nose, above the outer brow, the tip of the chin, just above the cupid's bow of the lip. I use this SPARINGLY. You want a glow, not an oily or slick look!

9. The final touch: two spritzes of Fix+.

BEAUTIFUL SKIN AWAITS!
lol.gif

PS: So glad Robin is back on GH! She's one of my favorites!
rofl.gif

Heheh thanks so much, I love Robin too and she reminds me of your everyday girl so seeing her makeup be banging even when she's just in the hospital...got me thinking. Maybe i'll talk to an MA about getting an MSF or the buffer brush. THanks so much everyone for the help, esp the aspirin tidbit!

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
St. Ives Apricot Scrub. It's gentle enough so it doesn't hurt your skin, but still rough enough to slough off dead skin.

Ah! Worst stuff ever!! The "scrubbers" aren't rounded so they can rip at the skin. They're also very small and can entrap themselves in pores, causing milias(sp?) and other "unpoppable" blemishes.

As far as exfoliation, try using a low percentage Glycolic Acid toner/toner pad every day. Glycolic acid exfoliates the top layer of the skin, which is where you'll be applying your make up. It'll help smooth out the surface layer and give you flawless texture, making your makeup glide on even more smoothly and give it an even finish. As far as a physical exfoliant try Bliss Pore Perfecting Facial Polish, Caudalie Gentle Buffing Beads, Boscia Smoothing Facial Polish..a good rule of thumb for me, anything that calls itself a "scrub" rather than a "polish" is probably pretty hard. Also, ask the SA if the polishing beads are manmade and perfectly round; this is better for the skin because it won't tear at the skin and manmade beads are usually pretty big in comparison to the pores, so they won't lodge themselves in your pores and cause infection. And don't use a physical scrub if you have live breakouts, the exfoliation can break apart the blemishes, relocate the bacteria and start a new breakout.

zaralovesmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Coco~
May I ask which brush you use to put the foundation on with? Thanks!

I use the 190 brush
smiles.gif

hyperRealGurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
Ah! Worst stuff ever!! The "scrubbers" aren't rounded so they can rip at the skin. They're also very small and can entrap themselves in pores, causing milias(sp?) and other "unpoppable" blemishes.

As far as exfoliation, try using a low percentage Glycolic Acid toner/toner pad every day. Glycolic acid exfoliates the top layer of the skin, which is where you'll be applying your make up. It'll help smooth out the surface layer and give you flawless texture, making your makeup glide on even more smoothly and give it an even finish. As far as a physical exfoliant try Bliss Pore Perfecting Facial Polish, Caudalie Gentle Buffing Beads, Boscia Smoothing Facial Polish..a good rule of thumb for me, anything that calls itself a "scrub" rather than a "polish" is probably pretty hard. Also, ask the SA if the polishing beads are manmade and perfectly round; this is better for the skin because it won't tear at the skin and manmade beads are usually pretty big in comparison to the pores, so they won't lodge themselves in your pores and cause infection. And don't use a physical scrub if you have live breakouts, the exfoliation can break apart the blemishes, relocate the bacteria and start a new breakout.

i use to use Apricot Scrub and i must agree it is harsh on the skin.

jenii

Hehe, well, if it's off a soap opera the lens probably had a special filter on it.
lol.gif

I use mineral foundation (Alima), and apply it with a flocked sponge. It tends to look really smooth and soft, even if I don't use a primer. It isn't gonna look as smooth as ~*airbrush*~ but it's close enough for me.