How to coax out an overdue baby? Help!

lemurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandiisamonkey
If you using a midwife or Doula which you said you were planning on having a "more natural birth than most hospitals will allow" ask her/him about stripping your membranes or ask that they be a little more "rough" with you when they check you next time...

I was overdue also so I was induced because I was overdue and because my dr was going on vacation lol but since you want a natural labor I guess induction isnt an option for you (btw pitocin isnt the only thing they can give you for induction they also have a cervix ripining thing that they put next to your cervix and it releases a VERY small amout of hormones I believe anyway Its what I got and it worked mabye you should ask your dr about that)

Just discuss with yoru dr that you REALLY want them to deliver for you you never know they may be able to work something out for you!
smiles.gif

My doctor is a regular MD, but happened to do his obstetrics internship in a natural birth clinic, so he's the best of both worlds
smiles.gif
He knows that I won't go for anything technically unnecessary or "unnatural", like Pitocin or Cervicil. And I can't really ask anything more of him, since by some cruel twist of fate he's had to deliver 5 babies since Monday and at my appointment today he was clearly suffering from lack of sleep, and had two more women in labor at the hospital! Poor guy..

stacey

From what I've heard doctors usually induce at at 42 weeks. (I had an emergency C for my first & scheduled C for the second son) I've heard that sex helps because there's something in the sperm that helps efase (sp?) the mucus. (or something like that) Def. walking to helps a lot also. Good luck. More than likely the doc might induce you.

Shimmer, I'm on my second C
winks.gif
I'm waiting for my next one! haha

Another Janice!

As goofy as it sounds, quite a few ppl have tried this and it works.

On the next full moon, eat Mac and Cheese with A-1 sauce.

My first son, labor started after I got done really cleaning my husbands Blazer. I think I spent about 5 hours on it.

My second son was induced. It wasn't really that bad at all. They put Cervadil in (looks sort of like a vitamin pill with a tampon string on the end. It ripened my cervix and I needed no Pit....Well, I got the pit after the birth to make my uterus contract faster (effin doctors). But thats a whole 'nother story!

queenofdisaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian
Does the sex count if it's not with other people? :p

lmao, i think you need a penis... but maybe just an orgasm.. you should ask doc about that one.

electrostars

Get on your hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor. I've heard that works.
tong.gif

My cousin went into labor after walking around the county fair all day.
She thought she pissed herself a little while after getting home that day.. and I had to tell her that it was her water, and I've never even had a kid before!
rofl.gif

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacey
From what I've heard doctors usually induce at at 42 weeks. (I had an emergency C for my first & scheduled C for the second son) I've heard that sex helps because there's something in the sperm that helps efase (sp?) the mucus. (or something like that) Def. walking to helps a lot also. Good luck. More than likely the doc might induce you.

Shimmer, I'm on my second C
winks.gif
I'm waiting for my next one! haha

i had easy recoveries from mine. I thinkbeing so young helped.

IslandGirl77

My son was a week late! I tried walking, swimming everything! Except sex, my partner was away at the time. So I was just overdue. My last child, I just walked alot and she was on time. I had a c section with my son becuase he was 9 lbs! I'm 4'11 so that was crazy! My daughter I had a vbac, and that was a hard experience. My dr also stripped my membranes for that one too. She acutally did it twice, the second one worked. Good luck to ya!

MAC_Whore

I am not having kids, so I can't speak from personal experience. But...I had a friend who was overdue and out of patience. She had tried all of the other traditional inducing methods (i.e. walking, sex, etc).

I was joking with her and said all she needed was really spicy Thai food. I mostly came up with that theory, as I was craving Thai. Yeah, a real scientific methodology, huh?
smiles.gif
I took her and her hubby out to a Thai dinner and later that night at 3am, she went into labour! I know that there is probably no reason to attribute it to my spicy Thai dinner idea, but it was just too funny that some theory that I just pulled out of my ass worked.

hyperRealGurl

yep dr. told me to take 2oz of Castor Oil mixed with 4oZ or Orange Juice and Keep drinking water through out the day..... 11pm that night i went into labor. But i would get the dr.s advice before trying this...

lemurian

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions! Here's an update:

I did finally go into labor on Friday, the day before my doctor was scheduled to leave. He was very kind and stayed with me throughout my labor, which unfortunately went on until Sunday when I had to have an emergency cesarean
ssad.gif
But baby is perfectly healthy, and we've just gotten home from the hospital. I'm hurtin' but still managing to breastfeed.. if only I could manage to sleep
winks.gif

Shawna

Congrats
smiles.gif
What did you have? What is the baby's name? Good luck with the sleeping. You'll learn how important it is to sleep when the baby is asleep even if it is in the middle of the day
cutey.gif

brandiisamonkey

Congrats on the baby! Glad everyone is healthy!

Im sorry you had to have a c section though! I hope your getting some sleep!

Another Janice!

sleep when the baby sleeps!! I mean it!! You will actually feel somewhat rested if you do it!!

Dishes are going to pile up...the laundry will be all over the floors. Let it happen. Take care of you and the baby first.

Congrats!!

lemurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
Congrats
smiles.gif
What did you have? What is the baby's name? Good luck with the sleeping. You'll learn how important it is to sleep when the baby is asleep even if it is in the middle of the day
cutey.gif

Thanks!

I had a boy, Tristan
smiles.gif
Things are smoothing out as far as the sleeping arrangements -- he's most comfortable sleeping on my chest as I lay in the recliner, which makes it pretty easy for me to drift off right along with him, hehe. Everyone says it's "bad" and will spoil him, but I don't care. He's the only one I'll ever have, so why NOT spoil him?
winks.gif

Another Janice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian
Thanks!

I had a boy, Tristan
smiles.gif
Things are smoothing out as far as the sleeping arrangements -- he's most comfortable sleeping on my chest as I lay in the recliner, which makes it pretty easy for me to drift off right along with him, hehe. Everyone says it's "bad" and will spoil him, but I don't care. He's the only one I'll ever have, so why NOT spoil him?
winks.gif

Tristan is a beautiful name.

And BTW...both my kids slept on my chest in the recliner for the first 6 months of their lives.

Because I was breastfeeding every hour and a half and I was sorer than hell, it was waaaaaaaaay easier to sit up in the recliner with the baby, give him the boob and relax than it was to muster up all my energy, climmb out of bed, hobble to the crib, go feed the baby, then do it all in reverse...4 or 5 times a night.

Your heartbeat is what soothes him. It's all he has known for his entire existence. You won't spoil him. You are teaching him trust and security.

I am *very* into attachment parenting. All 4 of us (me, dh, 2 kids) all sleep in the king sized bed every night....and I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you have any questions or need to talk, I am here.

Latest posts