I hate bugs!

NicksWifey

We have been noticing an ant problem in our apartment lately. I figured because of all the rain and because it's summertime, ants would be more popular. Seeing an ant or two or even three once in a while doesn't bother me but last week, I found about 300 or so of them lying dead in front of our dining room window on the floor...WTF?! At first I thought it was all this unexplainable black crap until I realized they were little dead ants, with wings lying randomly around. I immediately got them and the carpet cleaned up.

So this past Sunday, around 5 in the morning when I was asleep, Nick woke me up and told me we had a serious issue. I followed him into the kitchen where the overhead fluorescent light was on and there were about 50 or so small, winged insects flying around in a swam, LIKE CRAZY. We just started killing them, spraying them, smashing them, however we could. We turned off the light and noticed the activity started to calm down. Then he showed me a large pile of MORE dead ants in the same place they were last week, this time even more of them! Enraged, I left a nasty voicemail at the apartment management office afterwards and explained to them to get someone over here Monday (today) ASAP to spray since pest control is part of our monthly dues.

Today Nick came home from work and there was no indication of anyone being there. No funny spray smell in the house, no note, no callback, NOTHING. So when he told me that, I told him to get down to the office and blow a head gasket on them and they told him someone sprayed earlier and that there are other people complaining of the "winged ants". After reading on the internets, I believe they are winged termites and apparently they get inside, shed their wings and go off and die somewhere, which is what happened. They look like ants without wings when they are dead. He told them that and they acted so nonchalant about it and he also said he would appreciate them following up with us about our complaint. I just think it's bullshit. We pay nearly $1000 a month to live here and I refuse to live with these pests. Has anyone else dealt with these damned things before? Any other alternatives to pesticides?

coachkitten

Brittney I am so sorry! I can't stand having bugs around. It makes everything feel not clean. I don't have much experience with your situation but I will send good thoughts you way. I hope that your apartment gets off their butts and helps you out. You shouldn't have to live like that!

Simply Elegant

If they are ants, they have traps. We've had a few ants around and we got some and put them around the house and they're almost all gone after a few days.

rbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksWifey
We have been noticing an ant problem in our apartment lately. I figured because of all the rain and because it's summertime, ants would be more popular. Seeing an ant or two or even three once in a while doesn't bother me but last week, I found about 300 or so of them lying dead in front of our dining room window on the floor...WTF?! At first I thought it was all this unexplainable black crap until I realized they were little dead ants, with wings lying randomly around. I immediately got them and the carpet cleaned up.

So this past Sunday, around 5 in the morning when I was asleep, Nick woke me up and told me we had a serious issue. I followed him into the kitchen where the overhead fluorescent light was on and there were about 50 or so small, winged insects flying around in a swam, LIKE CRAZY. We just started killing them, spraying them, smashing them, however we could. We turned off the light and noticed the activity started to calm down. Then he showed me a large pile of MORE dead ants in the same place they were last week, this time even more of them! Enraged, I left a nasty voicemail at the apartment management office afterwards and explained to them to get someone over here Monday (today) ASAP to spray since pest control is part of our monthly dues.

Today Nick came home from work and there was no indication of anyone being there. No funny spray smell in the house, no note, no callback, NOTHING. So when he told me that, I told him to get down to the office and blow a head gasket on them and they told him someone sprayed earlier and that there are other people complaining of the "winged ants". After reading on the internets, I believe they are winged termites and apparently they get inside, shed their wings and go off and die somewhere, which is what happened. They look like ants without wings when they are dead. He told them that and they acted so nonchalant about it and he also said he would appreciate them following up with us about our complaint. I just think it's bullshit. We pay nearly $1000 a month to live here and I refuse to live with these pests. Has anyone else dealt with these damned things before? Any other alternatives to pesticides?

Hi, I hope this helps, your issue sounds like "swarming termites". They don't necessarily eat or damage wood. This happened to my mother and the company said she could either treat them or just wait for them to die and go away, which eventually they will. Usually after they mate, they die. HTH. Sorry this is happening to you, it sucks!!!

MACATTAK

We just get regular ants...all the time. We even have a pest service that sprays every month, obviously it doesn't work
ssad.gif

TDoll

Oh lord, that sucks!! Hopefully the apartment people get the problem fixed ASAP! Bugs are sooooo very annoying. Stay on their ass until they are completely taken care of...which I'm sure you will...lol.
I have no idea of anything that could help other than pesticides
th_confused_new.gif

User93

Damn girl i hope you get rid of it soon, i hate bugs so much, i hate smashing them, thats so gross..

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
Hi, I hope this helps, your issue sounds like "swarming termites". They don't necessarily eat or damage wood. This happened to my mother and the company said she could either treat them or just wait for them to die and go away, which eventually they will. Usually after they mate, they die. HTH. Sorry this is happening to you, it sucks!!!

I was just gonna say this, your situation sounds like some sort of Termite.. not ants.

clslvr6spd

God, I hate that!!!! The apartments that I live in were built on a ant hill. We weren't told that until and neighbor mentioned it. So every summer when it gets in the 90's and 100's the little buggers like to come in. I am almost positive they come out of the pipes, because I can see where they start from!
angry.gif

PolyphonicLove

Oh good lord. I can barely stand a fly in my place. I say bitch at those people more [there's NO way they could be so nonchalant about something like this], or just straight up move. $1000 a month is unreasonable with a problem that bad!

Otherwise, I can see if I can get the name of this REALLY hardcore pesticide my fam swears by...once, a HUGE waterbug crawled in...and then just rolled over on its back and died. Its GOOD stuff.