I need help applying black eyeshadow

user3

I tried a look using just black yesterday and needless to say I just couldn't get the blending right. Everytime I try to use black alone with just a highlighting color on my browbone I just can't get it to blend right.The only matte black e/s I have is one I picked up from Wild'n'Crazy called Mad Raven.
The rest all have shimmer or glitter.
I wonder if it's the e/s. Everytime I try to blend the black e/s out it ends up looking very gray.

I am trying to do something similar to these looks.

pamela_anderson.jpg
PamelaAnderson.jpg

I couldn't really find any good pics of exactly the type of application I want but this one will do. Like this but black.
16.06.06b.gif

Cruella

Do you have Blacktrack fluidline? Try using that as a base. I used it the other day with Silver metal pigment over it and it looked excellent.

caffn8me

Try using a translucent powder as a base - this should make the black spread about and blend more easily.

MiMaWa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruella
Do you have Blacktrack fluidline? Try using that as a base. I used it the other day with Silver metal pigment over it and it looked excellent.

I agree that you are going to need a base in order to make any black e/s work. I am pretty sure that the wild and crazy shadow is not black enough as most d/s shadows are just very dark grey. The only black black I have ever found was an old Sephora Artist black pot e/s when that line was still around. I don't even know if MAC makes a black enough shadow to be applied alone.

My friend wanted me to do that same look with just black and we ended up using a Revlon cream shadow (the kind that come in four circles in a little black plastic case). It is black with a blue tint that is not noticeable unless you apply the exact same shadow over it. That worked out well for her, but of course blacktrack would be wonderful as just a black base.

I would try getting a more true black e/s (I think Rimmel is one of the only d/s I know that may work, but L'oreal makes a black I haven't tried yet),and use a base with *sticking* power (paints like existential work sometimes but dry too fast for me to use them in the black black look).

Also, for the Pam looks I think there may be some charcoal used to soften the edges of the black since sheered out black looks funny over skin tones. It takes on a dirty-in-bad-way wash and can end up looking not well blended.

You will also want to make sure to get the color well in between the lashes so it doesn't look patchy and ruin the look.

I hope the helps a little.
~Michelle

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffnerMM
I don't even know if MAC makes a black enough shadow to be applied alone.

Carbon. It's very black.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Carbon. It's very black.

Carbon is very black but I don't think it's black enough to use on its own. I have tried several times and it always ends up blending out to a grey color or it just blends really poorly and you get a look similar to washing your face and all the shadow hasn't come off. HefnerMM was right you really do have to use a base (I've used Sharkskin and Graphito) and then used Carbon. I have also used Carbon as a base and applied Smolder over it to make it really dark and blended from there.

Annie Boy

You shoudl try Eye kohl as the liner. It smudges really nicely, giving a smokey look. And the pictures of Pam you show, they aren't really that much black. I guess use only a little black and more dark brown. hope i helped! : )

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Carbon is very black but I don't think it's black enough to use on its own

It's probably down to application technique. If you use a 219 brush you can get it very dark. You can also use it wet as a base but that prevents blending.

Isis

I was talking to our NARS makeup artist the other day and she uses the NARS cream shadow in Zardoz (who comes up with these names???) with any other color applied on top to get that deep smoky look. She showed me and it really truelly awesome!

user3

I am giving this thread a
icon_bump.gif

and hopefully everyone can add more tips for wishlikeagirl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishlikeagirl
when i put my makeup on.. i try so hard to blend the black powder in the creaseish area.. but it NEVER works.. can someone give me some tips??

kimmy

ohhh my. black eyeshadow is such a pain in the ass. but it's amazing.

if you want something really really black, i would recommend getting stage makeup. for serious. hot topic carries morbid makeup, and they're black stage shadow is hella dark.

for the blending up, you may want to mix it with some loose powder. either by applying the shadow and then the powder, or the powder and then the shadow.

i think the easiest way to do something smoky in the crease is eyeliner, and smudged. smudged ALOT
smiles.gif

Latest posts