I need some SERIOUS help.

k_atiee

Ok...I am a complete beginner when it comes to makeup. And I'm new here to this board also.
My makeup case consists of:
- some crappy drugstore brand translucent face powder
- Maxfactor mascara (black)
- Maybelline eyeliner (black)
- another crappy brand white eyeliner
AND THATS IT.
(yes, no blush, no foundation, no eyeshadow....)

And I have a formal event coming up in less than 2 months that I need to do my own makeup for...so what should I DOOOO???? Obviously I'm going to have to go out quicksmart and buy some products...but I really have no idea where to start.

Can anyone offer ANY help? Anything at all to get me started? Thankyou so much if you can <3<3

pr1nces583

i would recommend going to a make up counter (e.g. mac, lancome, benefit...those are my favourites) and telling them what type of look you want and colour outfit you will be wearing. they will show you the products and probably apply them to you too. i recommend going to a counter to be matched for foundation anyway as you usually get a much better match than you would just testing it on your hand.

have a think about what kind of look you would like (e.g. evening, day, light make up..etc).

hope that helped!

beautenoir

at MAC counters, so the ones that are inside of a department store, you can get a free makeover with a commitment to buy $40.00 worth of product....so you can talk to them about what kind of look you are going for and they will do it for and explain the entire time about what products they are using and how to apply them on your own, then those are the products you buy and you can do it on your own...once you have the products home...practice, practice, practice.

Kat

The way i started with eyeshadows was buying high end quads - they generally have 4 colours in them that you can mix and match in the same look and rest assured that yes, the colours do go together. Granted, it can be a pricey option though!

I agree with beautenoir's suggestion wholeheartedly as well...especially if you know that you are committed to buying a certain amount of product. And don't get talked into a look that you're not happy with or it may put you off
smiles.gif
I see you live in Australia so try a make up hall in David Jones or Myer. The brands there are generally the ones that will have the sales assistants/make up artists that are most able to help you
smiles.gif
If you're a total newbie to makeup i'd be inclined to suggest you go for a line that focuses on makeup rather than skincare or fragrance (eg. Mac/Dior as opposed to Clarins or something).

Good luck!

joytheobscure

I agree with Kat, I'd go and buy stuff from a specific collection if you are new to it, I love having quads, blushes and lipstick from a specific collection they are so easy to coordinate and wear together, even from drugstore lines the collections coordinate. Mac is my favorite of course.

k_atiee

Ok thank you for all the advice...but yeh I am under a budget but I of course don't mind splashing out on some staples like blush and foundation. When it comes to eyeshadow I think I'd be more inclined to go with quads from drug store brands like revlon or maybelline or something. Any reccomendations there?

mitsukai

if you dont have a lot of time, i would DEF go to a store/counter and get them to do your makeup. you could even go the day of and get them to do it for the actual event
smiles.gif

you can get testers of the foundations (liquid) and stuff. i wasnt sure i wanted to wear a foundation but i got a tester of studio fix and LOVED it so i went back to buy it. that's what i'd do.

i'd go have them do your makeup, and maybe buy an e/s or lipstick or blush you love, maybe a foundation, but at least get a tester.

as far as budget, i'd say.. splurge on foundation, and a few eyeshadows, but you can go cheap on blush if you find a color that works for you, and mascara (lots of people like maybelline) and some other basic e/s. there's a lot of good budget lipstick/lipglosses as well.

Kat

Budget stuff that i've found good in the past is maybelline full n soft mascara, maybelline e/s quads and actually just about most of maybelline.

But I would seriously considering splurging on some eyeshadow and foundation, and going budget on blush, mascara and lipstick/lip gloss. If you do get some help at a more expensive counter for the eyeshadows etc you can steal ideas for colours of blush/lipstick as well and take them to priceline or whatever with you
winks.gif

Classic Beauty

I've never had luck with drugstore e/s, well except for Milani. I also love milani blushes. Good drugstore mascaras are MaxFactor 2000 calorie and the new purple one from Covergirl with the funky brush.

k_atiee

Ok, I took your advice and went to Mecca today (meccacosmetica.com.au). The lady was really helpful and colour matched me with some Perscriptives foundation which is a really nice light to medium coverage. I also got a stilla blush. So I'm getting there..I'm sure I can work out my eyes pretty easily, jsut a matter of trial and error. I'll go to the chemist some time next week and check out the Maybelline quads and what not.
Thank you so much!

Latest posts