I need to GAIN weight!

queenofdisaster

Okay so I am 3 months pregnant, I am 5'8" and I weigh 104 lbs. which means I am about 20-25 pounds underweight. I have bad eating habits and it is impossible for me to gain weight. BUT, I must gain about 40-50 lbs. during this pregnancy as directed by my doc. So, HOW do I do this? Any suggestions?

lovejam

I had trouble gaining weight for the first four months. Everyone kept assuring me it would happen. It did, but not until after I was nearly six months along.

Ask your doctor for tips on how to gain the weight. Instead of just telling you to do it, he should also tell you HOW. Trust me, you're going to be paying through the nose for his/her services down the line, so you should be able to get answers when you need them. Get your money's worth!
lol.gif

ETA: Drink root beer. Lots of calories, no caffeine (avoid Barq's, since that one has caffeine).

But, really? My doctor told me that early in the pregnancy, women aren't really expected to gain weight, because they don't especially need to yet. It may seem like 40 lbs. is a lot to gain, and that you've gotta start NOW, but you don't. The weight will start coming on later in the second trimester, but it'll really go up in the third. Eat lots of breads, and avocados were a staple in my pregger diet, so you might like to try those.

Wattage

Hello queen,

In all honesty, the best decision would be to book a visit with your GP. He/she can refer you to a dietician that can help you select healthy foods to maintain your weight throughout your pregnancy.

HTH - keep us posted
smiles.gif

queenofdisaster

Thanks you guys.. I'm having a consultation witha nutritionist in a couple of weeks.. I'll definitely drink that root beer and eat avocadoes... HEHE!

mitsukai

i agree that you should talk to someone who works specifically with pregnant women, but some general info:

EAT MORE. www.nutritiondata.com has a good calculator and it includes an "if you're pregnant" thing too. so check that out. eat calorie-rich and nutrient-dense food, like wheat and whole grain type bread vs white, brown rice vs white, etc. i'd say double your portions, and eat 5-6 times a day instead of breakfast/lunch/dinner as well.

queenofdisaster

i've heard that flaxseed is a really good supplement for preg., although there are mixed feelings about it.. anywho you can grind it up and sprinkle it over your foods... its supposed to be a good way to get all of those good fatty acids and fish acids, but it can make your babies HUGE

ShirleyK

Don't worry you baby will grow... I had this probs before... for the first 3 months... I can't eat that much food too... and very picky over food...
But starts on the 4th or 5th month, my tummy big like nobody's business... and in fact I did tell my baby when he was inside of me, that he has to eat to grow big and indeed it happened...
Funny huh?! and when he was born he was 3.7kg weight...

hyperRealGurl

i think every pregnancy is different, I didnt gain any weight until my
6th month with my second pregnancy my son was born 2 weeks ealry and he was 8pounds 7ounces, now my first pregnancy i didnt gain weight until 5th month i had him 4 weeks ealry and he was still a healthy 5pounds 15 ounce. i never really worried b/c my dr never adressed any problems with my weight. I wouldnt worry, but if u are concerned u should talk to your OB to see what u can do to gain more weight. But trust me by ur second trimester u will put on some pounds. One day ur going to look down and see that little bump turn into a big watermelon lol and ur gonna step on that scale with ur hands over ur eyes trying to figure out "dang how did i gain those 3 pounds this week. Im sure things will be okay. But in the mean thim i wish u the best of luck, and i hope that u have a healthy pregnancy and at the end of it all i wish u a beautiful, and healthy baby. take care

queenofdisaster

aww thank u! im sure i will have a very healthy baby, my first one was 7 lbs 11 oz and i only gained 26 lbs my whole pregnancy. i was tiny... i was like
icon_eek.gif
when she came out, she was a lot bigger and longer than i expected... im doing better than i thought this time around, i have a lot of energy, a big appetite and i have gained about 7-8 pounds the last 3 weeks or so... so it should be easier than expected...
smiles.gif

queenofdisaster

i went back to the doc finally and i have been gaining just right and no longer need to see a nutritionist! woohoo! :woohoo:

Latest posts