I seriously NEED TO STOP

LMD84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaboomboom
Thanks. That's Piggie. He was adopted into a loving home (from Petco - I worked w/ Animal Alliance for a bit). He is SUCH a good, happy dog.

when i see your avatar it always makes me smile! and now i have a name to the happy chappy!
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Goat Etc.
Can anyone tell me how to sanitize my shadows and blushes I've barely swept over?

I tend to give them to a friend or too.

But if possible I'd like to make profit
graucho.gif

usually people just use tissues to rub the top layer off powder products because you can't really use alcohol because it can effect some shadows and such and hardens them.

if you've barely used them perhaps you could advertise them in the sales section? that is why i buy lots of little bits
smiles.gif
However ususally items a little below retail sell quicker than those that are up-priced
smiles.gif

martiangurll

Quote:
I wanna pit with a pink nose! But my apartment people are buttheads!

Depends how closely they in the management office check. We have a ban against Pits in my apartment complex (which is really stupid because it isn't the breed, its the owners who mistreat animals that make them violent, not the breeds--a chihuahua can be just as vicious as a pit if they are mistreated--I wish people would get off the pits as a "violent breed" its is such horse manure) but plenty of folks have them. I guess they fudge the breed on the apartment application or put "mixed breed." If you are willing to misrepresent on the breed and they are not doing a personal inspection on the dog.

BTW Piggie is really a cute dog. I love pits and think they have an undeserved rep. Now don't everyone go posting pictures of mangled body parts from pit bites. Any dog can be vicious. It is the upbringing that largely influences how violent they are! Okay, back on topic.

I don't think I could stay out of the color story threads. But that could really cut down my spending. I may have to give it a try...

I have to stay out of the FOTD threads too!

Goat Goat Etc.

^Yeah, somewhere I heard the statistics for dog attacks in the US were Retrievers and Chihuahuas.

*I'm currently watching "Cat Ladies" on Animal Planet-3 cats at most ladies! Jesus!
icon_eek.gif

Goat Goat Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
when i see your avatar it always makes me smile! and now i have a name to the happy chappy!
smiles.gif

usually people just use tissues to rub the top layer off powder products because you can't really use alcohol because it can effect some shadows and such and hardens them.

if you've barely used them perhaps you could advertise them in the sales section? that is why i buy lots of little bits
smiles.gif
However ususally items a little below retail sell quicker than those that are up-priced
smiles.gif

What about lipglosses?

How are those even sellable again?
th_confused_new.gif

LMD84

Quote:
What about lipglosses?

th_confused_new.gif

unless the glosses have been used with disposable applicaters or just tested on your hand there is no way of saying they are sanitised i'm afraid. some people may still buy them though, but many won't because it's a little icky buying a half used gloss that could be a couple of years old! lipsticks are ok though because you can dip those in alcohol
smiles.gif

LatteQueen

I do that also..purchase online and put in the basket and then think about it..that's very easy..but when one gets the Sephora catalog or the Ulta flyer featuring the 20% off total purchase or the 3.50 coupon on any one item over 10.00 is very hard for one..(esp me)...there I am right in the store ..handing over my cc or cash...

LatteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccalovesMAC
Girl, I'm I'm the same situation. Just today I bought two Ben Nye palette today. I have almost 30 palettes in total. It happens to me in spurts. I wont buy anything for like 6 months and then I get "that itch" lol I need help too

See isn't it very hard?? I have tons of palettes also..sephora,Iman's,Tarte, Coastal Scent, Lancome, Cosmetique so many and one face..I need to get out of that 'itch' cause I need major help...u know that Intervention show on A&E..well they need one for us MAKEUP JUNKIES...a camera crew following us around while we are shopping at Sephora, Ulta, Dept stores and going home to pour out the goodies on our bed and swatching the colors on our hands and then putting the makeup aside and guess what it starts all over again...
nope.gif

LatteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalRain
I think our love of makeup can easily become a dangerous addiction. One while I was spending way more on makeup than I could afford, and it wasn't because I needed it, it was just cause I felt like I had to have it. It was kind of like emotional eating, except for me it was makeup.

I had to tell myself that most items are just a repeat, there really nothing so new and fabulous that I can't do with out. I have enough to dupe anything that may be released so there's really no point of constantly buying. Most of the stuff will go bad before I can even use it up, making it even more of a waste.
And if necessary, avoid sites like these (I hate to say it) that can just feed that addiction. I had to take a two year break from makeup sites to get myself back on track. Now I limit to maybe once a month and its usually a cheap (drugstore item)

yep that's me..I have to have it..and then I go and there it is ..another makeup stash just used maybe 3 x's and then it sits cause another new product has just taken it's place..and the cycle starts all over again..yeah I come on here to read the reviews..esp the Urban Decay Naked Palette..I actually didn't buy that one cause ..well seriously don't know why...I need to do that once a month. But to me if I don't at least purchase one item a month I feel like I am missing out on something...

LatteQueen

Quote:

• Ask yourself is it really that unique of a product?
  • Who really profits: Me losing that money for a simple product? Or the business who good and set up.
  • Have I met all priorities that sustain my most basic needs?
  • I have ____ just like or that can do the same job of this, don't I?
  • Take pics with your phone.
  • Ask and search for comparisons.
  • Tell yourself it will always be available (even if it's LE) and there's always a way to get it: call in an order, online shopping, going to the store in person, etc.
  • How often are you going to use this?
  • This one is powerful----->Carry around your checkbook/record book and mark down your total purchase and review all your recent purchases daily
    Edit
  • Also tell yourself--YOU ARE NOT A MAKEUP ARTIST AND DON'T INTEND TO BE. As much as you like watching tutorials you're not gonna bust out exact looks you see that often.

thanks I do need this list right here to help me out..I love how you put these in 'mind' control situations to take care of the problem...I need to control my addiction to stop buying so much freakin cosmetics..I love two of your remarks..I AM NOT A MAKEUP ARTIST AND NEVER WILL BE..PLUS THE TUTORIALS..
thanks for this..
and HOW OFTEN WILL I USE THIS PRODUCT..THAT'S THE TICKET RIGHT THERE..HOW OFTEN????

LatteQueen

Quote:
next year will be my cut down year and i know it's going to eb stupidly hard. i'm going to make sure that each month i only buy one eyeshadow, one lippie, one gloss, etc. rather than buying 3-4 of each item each month. because i have so much make up i just cant use it all!

YEP once a month..but for me it depends on what the item is... I get fashion catalogs now some of them not only feature clothes but having their own makeup line as well..so guess what??? lol

LatteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykit
I've cut down my budget on buying cosmetics. I only buy something if I like it and I make sure I'll use it! Sometimes I look at my stash, I wonder when I'll use them all.

Trust me you'll never use them all..and that's the sad part..I'll never use them all...Luckily I have a niece whom I can send makeup to. If I have several products that was used no more than 3x's..off it goes to her..But I never send her any lip products that were used..only e/s's, blushes, unopened mascara, liners(they can be sharpened). then my stash gets smaller and I feel so much better than throwing them out..Like one time I purchased so many of Mark's Flipside palettes I had so many around 12 of them and many of them were the same ones..so I gave her and my sister one of each and they were gone..They loved them..

LatteQueen

Quote:
oh i also make sure that i only ever make one mac order a month. so no going back for more from the collections for me! if i find something in the sales section of specktra that is great, but if not it is tough.

The MAC Collections are very easy for me to resist cause once I see them in person and see how small the shadows are and or very little product I can pass them by...Like I was totally obsessed by the Style Warrior Collection and once I went in to see this , then all of a sudden my interest took a dramatic turn..plus they come out so fast with their collections now..They weren't like this before were they? MAC? back to back to back .....I was taken in with Iman's Palettes and the price was amazing.

bellaboomboom

Quote:
^Yeah, somewhere I heard the statistics for dog attacks in the US were Retrievers and Chihuahuas.

*I'm currently watching "Cat Ladies" on Animal Planet-3 cats at most ladies! Jesus!
icon_eek.gif

HAHA! I've got three - + one I feed outside (Lola). There was something on the internet yesterday and the lady had like 45 or 46 cats. I saw the video - it was amazing - in a sweet loving way....and a crazy way!

pennybeau

This is the way I've been feeling recently. For me I was planning on being a makeup artist but recently I've been going back to school to pursue something else. First thing I decided to do was downsize my stash!

Sell items online or just give it away to family and friends.
This will really help you realize just how much you really don't need all of those products, and help you understand just how much you do need.

Limit how much of a certain type of product you can have.
For example I will only buy quad palettes now instead of 15 pans. You really don't need 15 purples, or 15 browns. I think 4 is a good number to have. It lets you have room to actually use up the product. So instead of 15 blues, just keep it to 4 blues.

For lipsticks and lipglosses my rule is to only have two of each color. So 2 pink, 2 browns...

It would also be a good idea to set up a budget. I use to spend around $300 on makeup a month. But I think a more realistic safe budget is probably like 15-30 dollars. Don't force yourself to spend the money either. If nothing interests you that month, or if you don't have room in your makeup collection because of the 'rules' that you set up for youself then just take youself out for ice cream or dinner!

It's hard to get rid of everything and limit what you have but it's sooo freeing!
I hope this helps, good luck!

martiangurll

Quote:
What about lipglosses?

th_confused_new.gif

They are sold. Don't know how much people will buy. I guess you can always try it. I have bought used, but I am not much of a germ phobe. But I will not reuse mascara because I am not getting any eyeball germs.

LatteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennybeau
This is the way I've been feeling recently. For me I was planning on being a makeup artist but recently I've been going back to school to pursue something else. First thing I decided to do was downsize my stash!

Sell items online or just give it away to family and friends.
This will really help you realize just how much you really don't need all of those products, and help you understand just how much you do need.

Limit how much of a certain type of product you can have.
For example I will only buy quad palettes now instead of 15 pans. You really don't need 15 purples, or 15 browns. I think 4 is a good number to have. It lets you have room to actually use up the product. So instead of 15 blues, just keep it to 4 blues.

For lipsticks and lipglosses my rule is to only have two of each color. So 2 pink, 2 browns...

It would also be a good idea to set up a budget. I use to spend around $300 on makeup a month. But I think a more realistic safe budget is probably like 15-30 dollars. Don't force yourself to spend the money either. If nothing interests you that month, or if you don't have room in your makeup collection because of the 'rules' that you set up for youself then just take youself out for ice cream or dinner!

It's hard to get rid of everything and limit what you have but it's sooo freeing!
I hope this helps, good luck!

THANKS..I do send some or I should say alot to my niece and sister. They do need help in this category cause they can use the same item for umpteen e years and never update the products..But you're exactly right about the 15 purples..just enough of one color like you mentioned is enough. thanks for this help also..Now trying to force myself to unsubscribe to Sephora Catalog and Ulta's flyer. Stop looking at Avon's books at work...GAWD NOW I KNOW HOW 'ADDICTS' FEEL...

m_3

I was in the same situation. I would go to buy one thing and end up leaving with some type of makeup. I spent $80 at walgreens buying cosmetics once. I went from have a few single shadows to having to clear out a drawer for all my cosmetics. Now I have to buy containers because the drawers are to small. That's when I noticed it was getting out of hand. However I have slowed down. Never have I spent more then $65 at MAC. I go there around christmas and my birthday when I know I'll have extra money,I usually get face essentials (foundation, blush, MSFN) from MAC and get eyeshaows from e-tailers (NYX, Coastel Scents) and drugstore. I've especially cut down now that I have car insurance to pay and have to save for a laptop.

Lyssah

I was the same.. still bad, but I've really kurbed my addiction, I used to spend at least 1K a month on makeup.
I just tell myself, "Will this matter to me in 15 years" if the answer is probably not, then i pass. I want children and to travel, in 15 yrs whether or not i got an eyeshadow or lipgloss wont matter, having children and tavelling will matter..

PeachTwist

To be honest, I'm really quite lucky in a way.

I don't work so I can barely spend any money on makeup. When I can, it's very, very little. It's not that I don't want to work - I can't find work.

I also hate it in a way, because I'm unable to buy what I want. I have a very, very small collection and my friends/family think it's too much already, however to me.. it's what I love. I don't buy shoes, clothes or purses etc. I only do that if I NEED to. I don't have any other addiction other THAN makeup. So in a way I can also kind of justify it. I don't have 20 pairs of shoes, hundreds of items of clothing, 20 bags that never get used or 30 bottles of perfume.

I have one bag. A pair of running shoes for the gym, a pair of heels, a pair of ballet flats/pumps, and a pair of airwalks for slipping on and going out quickly. I do have some extra flip flops, but that's because I also happen to live in them and wear them down very quickly. I have a few nice clothes to go out in, everything else is scruffy and for gym. I don't care about my clothes or shoes etc so long as my makeup is nice.

I'm proud of my makeup, I love having it and playing with it. I always want more, but due to lack of funds it's difficult. So I love every piece I do get very, very much.