If you are visiting A then you need to see B

Krasevayadancer

So this is my idea, how about we take this thread and use it as a travel recommendation thread.

I have noticed a lot of us (myself included) start new threads for recommendations on places to go when visiting new locations. Why not put in requests on this thread and if you are from that area or have been there before, put in your fav places to go, hidden gems- whatever! Who would know an area better than a local right?

Or how about just listing your fav spots in your local city/country. I will go first.

Need reccs on places to go/see/and eat at and things to do in Montreal in Canada. Anyone?

Places to see if you are in NY:
Statue of liberty, ground zero, times square to herald square (50th street-34th), take a tour on a double decker bus or the ducks tour, they look fun. Madame tussaud's wax museum and ripley's believe it or not are great places to check out too and are right on 42nd street. Check out Rockefeller center, and central park too
smiles.gif

For upscale shopping: Midtown on the east side (specifically madison and fifth ave) houses all the high designer boutiques as well as stores like bendel's, bergdorf goodman, barneys and others. Check out f.a.o schwarz!

If you like sushi eat at Todai, and all you can eat japanese buffet that is great quality for the price. Everyone I take here loves it, and its in the heart of Korea town (32nd street between fifth and madison ave)

Oh, and mac pro is on 22nd street between 8th and 9th ave.

Susanne

Thanks. It is a big dream to come to New York one day. Sigh. Probably next year. I can ask you then where to go and where to stay? Must see the MAC Pro store in NY!!

Krasevayadancer

Of course! We can even meet up
winks.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
Thanks. It is a big dream to come to New York one day. Sigh. Probably next year. I can ask you then where to go and where to stay? Must see the MAC Pro store in NY!!

Hilly

If youre in Chicago- visit Boys Town and the Clark and Belmont area. Totally awesome! Very funky, unique, and just plain rad! Also- visit my mom's cookie jar shop!!! Hahah free plug! Jazz'e Junque!

couturesista

If your in Baltimore visit the Inner Harbor, Fells Point, Canton and Federal Hill. Restaurants, Clubs, Bars and Shopping are great in all of these areas! Of course visit Columbia Mall, the MAC f/s Store is the best in the state!

couturesista

Also, the BMA and Walter's Art gallery are very interesting. BMA has a tattoo exhibit going on now that is out of this world. Let's not forget the Reginald F. Lewis Museum. This museum is a history museum dedicated to Black history makers from MD very educational and interesting as well.

rbella

If you are in Houston, eat at Benjy's and stay at the Hotel Icon or Alden!!!! You will also have to go to Rice Village and the Galleria to shop.

Also, for the best tex-mex in the entire world, you must eat at Chuy's!!! Chuy's may also be found in Austin.

Puerto Rico-
If you visit Puerto Rico you have to stay in Vieques (an island off of the main island) at the Bravo Beach Hotel. Best trip of my life!!! We had miles of beaches to ourselves all day long. It was awesome!!! You will also need to visit the islands of Culebra and Fajardo and take the Bio-Bay tour.

KikiB

If you visit Seattle, you need to see:
Seattle Center-you've got the Pacific Science Center, which is good fun for all ages. You've got the Space Needle. You've got the EMP. You have the fountain, which is always fun to go and play in. There's also lots of plays and theatres there, and you never know when there will be a festival or event of some sort going on.
Pike Place Market-yeah, another cliche, but many locals don't even go there! It's got amazing food, restaurants, novelties, a good newstand, you name it. Plus it's right by the original Starbucks. That is a must-visit, just so you can say you went to the original. You'll have all the Japanese tourists in there, taking pictures, and then the gospel group that plays outside.
Safeco Field-Forget the fact that the M's stink, this is a truly beautiful place to watch some baseball.
University Village-It's a very chic shopping center-all outdoors, loads of high-end shops as well as a MAC store, and Pallino does a damn good fettucini alfredo. Every June they do a sidewalk sale, where many retailers will take it outdoors.
Pioneer Square-it has loads of clubs, galleries, and of course, the Utilikilts store. They're very popular here in Seattle.
Westlake Center-Forget the shopping, which isn't the greatest...although there are a lot of local merchants and more than Pacific Place. The square outside has fountains, the Andean pipe band playing many days of the week, proximity to Sephora and no less than 3 Starbucks locations...and if it's sunny, it's always fun to go down to the Coldstone across the street and get ice cream and eat it there.
Archie McPhee-the ultimate novelty shop. If they didn't invent the Devil Ducky, I don't know who did.
Piroshky Piroshky-it's a couple doors down from the original Starbucks (at Pike Place) and the food is great. It's filling, fairly inexpensive, and you get to hear the gospel group many days of the week.

Hilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
If you are in Houston, eat at Benjy's and stay at the Hotel Icon or Alden!!!! You will also have to go to Rice Village and the Galleria to shop.

Also, for the best tex-mex in the entire world, you must eat at Chuy's!!! Chuy's may also be found in Austin.

I agree with Chuy's!!

rbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilly
I agree with Chuy's!!

choochoo.gif
Yay!!!!!!!! I just ate there tonight!!! It was so dang good!!! The creamy jalapeno dressing is why I can no longer wear any of my cute clothes!!!!!!!!! One annoying drawback, the 25 minute wait.
angry.gif