I'm Overwhelmed!!!

Hey everyone! I'm new here and have browsed the site for about a week now. Oh my goodness, what a collection of such creative and nice people! I realize this isn't the "Welcome" Forum, but I have a few questions so thought I'd post it all here.

Okay, I have never used a MAC product in my life! *GASP* What have I been waiting for all of these years!?!? I found this site and now it seems that, from now until forever, I'm sure to be addicted to these products. If only I knew where to begin :-( I have been going over and over and over these threads, seeing everyone's FOTDs and EOTDs and seeing how much I want these looks for me. But what do you start with? How do you begin? Are all of the MAC products as good as they seem to be? If I should go in for a makeover, what will I expect?
I realize I can't purchase every product they have (if only I could win that lottery!). So, my last question for all of you addicts:

Which products could you not live without, what would you recommend for a first time, but not the last, MAC user?

Argh! Bring me into the light, ladies!

martygreene

Do you currently wear makeup at all? If so, I suggest sticking to the color range in which you are already comfortable, and work from there. I'd stick to non-limited edition items at first, so that you don't end up finding something you love and end up unable to get more of it right off the bat. Stopping into a store or counter and trying things out is also a great way to get a feel for what might work for you, and what you don't like. As for samples- most foundations, loose powder, and facial care products can be sampled for you to try out at home. I do this a lot. Particularly for new clients or with a new product that I'm usure of my affinity towards.
Are there any products that you are particularly fond of (lipgloss, lipstick, blush, etc.)? Perhaps start with those. Really, I say start somewhere that is comfortable. You don't need to swoop in, throw out all your existing products, and buy all MAC stuff. I intermix my brands and products all the time. You'll find what products you like, and what products you don't.

mima

i would stay start out small, and look at what you currently use in terms of makeup. my first ever mac purchase was a lipglass (oh baby) because at the time, i didn't wear any makeup except lipgloss.
smiles.gif
i think mac's lipglosses, eyeshadows, and eyeliners are really musthaves. i don't have too many mac lipsticks, but i do like them (i am just not really a lipstick person). i couldn't live without my MAC tinted lip conditioners -- i use them every day. i have tried several mac foundations but realise other brands have better foundations. i also don't like mac mascaras as much. in canada, you are usually expected to spend $40 after a makeover (which is not at all hard to do). i think you might also like to check out the holiday palettes -- they let you try out a wide variety of colours and textures in one swoop, and also, the holoiday minis, again, for the variety!

enjoy yourself and welcome

Thanks for the tips, guys! I guess I'll just have to go down and see what appeals to me. I see all of the color here and think "I want that!" It's just not that easy. Good idea about getting a mini collection or palette. Also about choosing colors that I'll wear most of the time, and then grow from there.

Right now I've been using the Flirt line from Kohl's. They have good colors, but it seems they don't have a palette to keep all the colors together.

Anyhow, thanks again!