I'm too pasty

MisStarrlight

Usually I wear Studio Tech, but it's pretty thick so I was thrilled when SFF came out. I was in a rush & just tried the color on my hand & bought NW 20, made me look waaaay too orange....we're talking ooompa looompa orange. A few days later, sent my bf back to the store to exchange it for NW 15 & even that's a bit orange on me (although not nearly as bad).

Could it be that I'm even too pale for NW 15? I know that I'm not an NC shade, but is it possible that I should switch over to an NC shade for this product? What number would I start trying with the colors? Or should I just stick to the Studio Tech?

Every MA I ask-even the girls at my counter are convinced I'm an NW 20, so the option of asking an MA is basically out & I haven't been working much so I haven't had a chance to actually go into the store & play with the colors for myself.

Thanks!

Wattage

No offense intended to any MAs here, but I have never had an MA through MAC that successfully picked a foundation for me. If NW is showing up too orange on you, you can always try the NC, though I suspect you may have a similar experience as NC has a yellow tone.
I am super pale as well (think Nicole Kidman) and have not had a lot of luck with MAC's foundations. I picked up a sample of NC15 in the SFF and it was too dark for me. This particular foundation is not very sheer though and has some ingredients (such as kaolin clay) that can make it appear darker than usual. The funny thing is, I have heard mixed reviews (some saying SFF runs dark, some say it runs light for them) - for me it ran dark. I recommend a more sheer foundation that reflects light as opposed to absorbing everything - matte foundations don't reflect well.

I have been using Clarins and find their foundations easier to wear. Although the one I am using is technically too dark for me (True Comfort 03), it is much less noticable as this foundation is medium-light coverage and in my opinion, much better quality than the SFF. I like Select Tint but it doesn't provide enough coverage.

The whole undertones business is another force to be reckoned with. It's really hard to pinpoint the exact foundation you should be wearing strictly by undertone alone. I have the pinkest undertones this side of the western hemisphere I swear - and an MA @ MAC recommend NW20 for me. I looked like a watermelon with it on. MAC's colouring system is a little wonky in my opinion. When I do use their colours, I go with NC because the yellow colouring combined with my pink undertones combine to make a flesh colour. Think about mixing paint - if you mix pink and pink together, you get more pink. Pink and yellow make orange. Find what works for you. Some people have multiple undertones or no undertone at all. MAC is very good in my experience about giving you a sample. Get a smaple, go home, put it on your neck as you would on your face and let it dry for a few hours. Look in the sunlight and see how it goes.

As a last resort, companies like Prescriptives will make you a custom foundation for a hefty price tag. Others come with a white mix so you can customize as you see fit. I have very pale skin, just as you do, and I have to say with all honesty I have never stuck with one foundation for any length of time.

This is what I have learned from being the palest porcelain princess on the block:

- Sheer coverage is your friend. Spot conceal and use blot powder. The less pigment, the better.
- A good moisturizer under your foundation does wonders for the way the product combines with your skin.
- Blend like there is no tomorrow. Watch the hairline and the jaw line.
- Look in places you wouldn't expect. I really recommend going on www.makeupalley.com and reading the reviews for various foundations. If you go to a counter or store and they won't give you a sample, walk away. Foundation is the most expensive product I buy (besides brushes, but they last much longer!) and I am not about to p*ss $45+ down the drain b/c they want to make a sale.

Recently, I had a few lovely ladies here @ Specktra recommend Stila's foundations to me. I had a look and they do look like they come in very pale shades. I haven't tried them myself yet but I recommend checking out the reviews on MUA and heading out to get a sample, or for them to put some of your neck at least so you can test drive it.

I feel your pain! Hang in there and try to make the process as painless and cheap as possible!

smiles.gif

shamelessmuse

Your skin looks in the pic about the same tone as mine and I'm a NC20, so give it a shot. Maybe go in bare faced and test it for a day. But, it would be worth checking!

alysia

ask your MA to do a test on your cheek/chin bone, and look at it in the store & in natural light, bring a friend to help
smiles.gif

ps. I'm super pale too & found sucess with Maybalines Dream Matte Mouse in the lightest shade
greengrin.gif

natcool

okay i have the exact, exact same problem.
i used studio tech NW15 and it was a perfect match. but because i went throught it so fastly, i decided to exchange it for a different foundation.

last week i went to get the studio fix liquid foundation. the MA said that they didn't make it light enough for my color. so i went and got color matched for select spf.

i left the store and walked around the mall for a bit, and started realising that i looked orange. i didn't think about it much. until i got back to my car. i look in the mirror and it was hella orange. then i looked at the container and it was NW20. (i was NW15 before)

i went back and got the NW15 instead. it was still orange again but as bad.

so yesterday after being completly fed up with MAC foundation i decided to go get studio fix.
i got color matched for NW20 and today, after the first day wearing it, i can tell it is orange again.
it is so annoying that i can never find the right color.
erggg.

the MA also said that i have a different colored face compared to my neck in which my face is pink and my neck is more olive.

AHH!

Latest posts