in need of advice...

xiahe

I'm still very new to make-up...i'm almost 18 (on thursday, in fact) and i never really got into make-up until *NOW*...i'm mostly obsessed with eye make-up. i don't think i really need powder / foundation (maybe powder to take away the shinyness on my skin at times). Here's a few pics of me (sorry if these pics are large, i don't know how to resize them)

DSCN0689.jpg

^ this one's from prom (may 2005); please excuse my bf, he's not very photogenic. XD

the next two are from homecoming (sept 2005)

homecoming05014.jpg

homecoming05016.jpg

you can't really see my make-up very well in my homecoming pics...all i used was some really cheap silver e/s (i think it was NYC) with a little bit of Wet n' Wild Mega Sparkle loose glitter and some Prestige waterproof black eyeliner along the lower lash line.

First of all, how do you reduce redness? If it involves wearing powder / foundation, well, i have no idea how to choose the right one. my mom wears make-up but she's not very big on it (usually she just wears mascara and occasionally some eyeshadow).
Second, I'm in desperate need of brow help. if any of you ladies could come up with a brow shape that would look great on me, please let me know. otherwise i'm thinking about getting them professionally waxed. i'd much rather tweeze them myself, though.
Lastly: any MAC recs (eyeshadow colors, lipglasses, etc) would be great. I'm looking for colors that look good on me (and so far, silver, purples, and pinks are the only colors I have found to look good on me). I have a VERY tiny MAC collection (Swish e/s, Parrot e/s, a 266 brush and Blacktrack Fluidline) - but this is what happens with my crappy-paying job. =) but since my birthday's coming up, i'd like to get all the recs so then I can put everything on my wishlist.

Spam.n.Rice

First off, since you don't wear foundation/powder, you should buy some face powder. I'm not a big fan of foundation either and I think you should try Clinique's stay matte pressed powder. It feels very light on the skin and I don't have to reapply it all day. As for redness, maybe find a good concealor. I'm not sure what brand would be good but one of my friend's swears by bobbi brown's concealors so maybe you can stop by there and ask a MA.

For your brows, you should definitely get them done professionally. It really does make a difference. The method I prefer is treading cuz unlike waxing, it doesn't pull your skin, only just rows of hair at a time. Then after that, if you like, you can maintain them yourself.

MAC e/s I think would look great on you would be sweet lust, star violet, shroom, tempting, concrete, woodwink, and swiming. HTH!

jess98765

Hi there girly!!
You are so gorgeous and so pretty- your skin is so good and glowy that foundation is not necessary for you. maybe a bit of powder like spam.n.rice said. MAC blot powder should take away some of that "shine" that you want to get rid of.

Agree with everything spam.n.rice said with her suggestions. I think neutrals and pink eyeshadows will look perfect on your skin tone. maybe after you become more use to applying makeup and feel more comfortable and stuff wearing the stuff, then move onto your blues and greens. Definitely invest in some black mascara and an eyelash curler as they will open up your eyes heaps. If your worried about your eyebrows, definitely get them done outside proefssionally first. i did my own and i'm just letting you know out of my own experinece that paying a bit extra to get them done perfectly is heaps better than risking it all...
smiles.gif

Good luck with your search
smiles.gif
we better be seeing heaps of your FOTD's on here after this!!!

Hawkeye

Redness? The only way i found that really reduces redness in my skin is Smashbox green primer. It's pricy but lasts forever and you just put it on your face real quick and you dont see much red after that.

ita with spam n rice about the brows. definately get a professional to do them the first time
smiles.gif
and i also agree with jess about the eyelash curler!

Eyeshadows- I'd like to see you in golds like gorgeous gold or goldmine, I'd also like to see you in greens too like warm greens-like bitter and velvet moss. some blues-fade and nehru and some pinks i'm going neutral on these but maybe yogurt girlie and pink freeze or if you want to go ahead and kick it up a notch with sushi flower.

and definally get the brown fluidliner
smiles.gif
thats a must have in my opinion
smiles.gif

xiahe

=D thank you so much. but just out of curiosity, what is the average cost for getting your brows done?

lovejam

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahe
=D thank you so much. but just out of curiosity, what is the average cost for getting your brows done?

I don't know what the average is, but where I go it's $15. I'd guess you can expect to pay at least $10, and at most $20.

Hawkeye

yeah, mine costs $10 at my local ulta but the most i've ever paid to have them done is $20 at my favorite salon.

Spam.n.Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiahe

Well when I'm home in Olympia, I pay $10 but in Seattle I pay $7. But I agree with the posters above that the most expensive you can expect to pay is $20.

xiahe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejam
I don't know what the average is, but where I go it's $15. I'd guess you can expect to pay at least $10, and at most $20.

wow...I was expecting a lot more. like $30 - $45.