interview attire

toby_is_cute

I would wear black dress pants and a black blazer type jacket with a button down shirt underneath. And wear heels, just not too high. And not too much jewelry or perfume. You can't go wrong.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlowryfan
will wearing a cardigan sweater be appropriate for the interview?

Probably will depend on the office climate (is it a very casual office v. extremely business-y) and the position you are applying for (low/entry level v. managerial).

gigglegirl

Thats true what purrtykitty said.

What type of position and environment?

That being said, I just had an interview 2 weeks ago at a law firm (which has the lawyers in suits, but the support personnel seem to be a little more relaxed--still business-y but not suits) to be an accountant, and was dressed in black pants, and a faux black short sleeve sweater with a white dress shirt underneath duo. No jewelry other than subtle earrings (no dangley ones), no perfume. Short heels with 1.5in heel.

And I got the job! Best of luck with your interview
smiles.gif

sofabean

i would wear black slacks, heels (but not too high and 3 inch heels are too high and definitely not open-toed), and a simple blazer or collared button down shirt.

rbella

Agreed with all the black suits and button down shirts. Add 2 inch heels with a smart bag (not a big ass bag) and a portfolio. Pull hair back (if it is long) in a low pony, wear neutral make-up with a hint of bronze on your cheeks and be sure to wear stud earrings (faux diamonds, pearls) and a watch. However, do not check the watch during the interview. In the portfolio, carry plenty of copies of your resume on heavy stock paper along with lists of references and about 5 questions you have written down and ready to ask.

They will invariably ask you if you have any questions. It is a deal killer if you don't ask about the company. Research them ahead of time and ask smart questions, but not about compensation. After answering all your questions, they will keep saying "Anymore questions?" It's like a showdown. Keep it simple and only to about 5 questions. After the last question and the follow up "Anymore questions?" Just tell them that your sure you will think of plenty more once you leave and have time to digest your time you spent together. You would love to ask them when they contact you. Then ask what the next step in the process is and when you can expect to hear from them. Also, take plenty of notes, even if you know you can remember.

Sorry for all the info, I've interviewed a few times in my old age....

vandael

you want to look as sharp and put-together as possible. it is definitely better to overdress than underdress... at an interview and on your first day at any new office job. once you observe what the attire is you can adjust accordingly. i completely agree with what's been said and am adding a few things:

- black pants and jacket (preferably a suit)
- button down shirt with buttons that go all the way up to the collar, make sure that it covers your chest
- light or neutral shirt color (creams, light blue, etc.), not as stuffy as white
- tuck shirt in underneath jacket/blazer
- keep hair off your face in a low ponytail or half-up
- send thank you/follow-up cards or emails to interviewers

HTH!

KikiB

Well I see that there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference in the types of clothes you wear no matter where you interview. If you are going for a retail job, then there is a bit of leeway. I interviewed one time at a department store and of the 6 of us in the group interview, I think 3 or 4 girls wore jeans. Now in my current job, I've seen quite the range of outfits for people interviewing and because we did open interviews, anybody who was over 18 and filled out an application could interview...one time a lady came in with a shrunken belly shirt, 3/4 sleeve, and then high-waisted jeans. It wasn't fashionable...it was a mid-90's disaster.

Always dress fairly conservatively. Blazer and dress pants are always good, along with a button down shirt. Brooks Brothers and Ann Taylor (and Ann Taylor Loft) are good reference points. Another thing to do would be to do a dressy top underneath. As far as shoes go, a mid-size heel is what I see as appropriate. Too low and it looks too casual, too high and it can sometimes look unprofessional. Keep jewelry to a minimum. The thing that I heard is no rings unless they are wedding rings, one pair of earrings, and a simple necklace. No perfume. If you use any fragrant body care, avoid it that day. Keep makeup VERY minimal. Foundation, concealer, mascara, and a neutral shade of shadow is all you should use. Bring a "smart bag" (what I consider a smart bag is a structured handbag that isn't a "purse" per se...it is in good condition, not slouchy, and can hold resumes and applications).

Also a tip to anyone going out on the job hunt...a truly good candidate will dress up when they are going to get the applications (not too formal, just nicer than a teeshirt and jeans), going to return the applications, and then especially the interview. If I were hiring, I would be a lot less likely to hire somebody who showed up looking all ratty.

eastsidesunset

I would suggest black pants and a blazer. Try the Limited- they have very reasonably priced pants (usually on sale BOGO half off) and the blazers are cut very nicely. I graduated from college last year and have been job searching- and let me tell you, the one interview I actually wore the suit to I got the job, even if it sucked and I didn't take it, haha.

toby_is_cute

Everyone here has given really good advice. I wish every one looking for a job could read this. I have seen some people at my work, and other companies show up all haggard looking for interviews, or with low-cut tight clothes on. They look like they don't care. Even if the job itself is a messy job and you would wear t-shirt and jeans, you should still look nice for the interview.

And omg the biggest pet peeve I have is people that come in a place of business to fill out an application and they don't have a pen. BRING A PEN WITH YOU!!! God, that annoys me so much!

Here's another piece of advice for anyone out there looking for a job. Make sure your email address is not sexy or suggestive sounding. Like [email protected], do you really think you are going to get a respectable job with that email?? LOL.

user79

I would wear a business suit with a blouse or a nice shirt, maybe not in white cuz then it looks like a waiter. I would honestly just buy a nice suit, you can use it again and again and won't go out of style, and you can always use it for business functions and other interviews. It's a worthy investment.