Is this Deckchair real?

Brumbjorn

HI all!

I bought some deckchair off of someone and am wondering if it is real. All my other pigments have a label on the bottom, not a upc on the back. I've taken pictures of the backside and product for you to look at

http://home.comcast.net/~evonsauctions/misc/mac1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~evonsauctions/misc/mac2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~evonsauctions/misc/mac3.jpg

What do you guys think? Anyone else have a deckchair that looks like this?

eta: It also had it's little plastic protector on it...

Shawna

What does the bottom of the jar look like? And does the little plastic cover have writing on it? The colour looks pretty close to my deckchair, but with so many fakes, it is hard to say. I am pretty sure fakes don't have the writing on the plastic insert.

Brumbjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
What does the bottom of the jar look like? And does the little plastic cover have writing on it? The colour looks pretty close to my deckchair, but with so many fakes, it is hard to say. I am pretty sure fakes don't have the writing on the plastic insert.

No sticker on the bottom which is why I am questioning it. The plastic liner has the number 3251 on it.

**gets nervous**

Shawna

Mine says 3251 on the insert too, but it also says made in Canada and yours says made in USA. The colour and texture are spot on compared to mine. It may have come from a cco and that's why it has a upc? I hope it's real for you. I'm not the resident expert so I guess I'm not much help. I hope Caffen8me can clear it up for you.

Brumbjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
Mine says 3251 on the insert too, but it also says made in Canada and yours says made in USA. The colour and texture are spot on compared to mine. It may have come from a cco and that's why it has a upc? I hope it's real for you. I'm not the resident expert so I guess I'm not much help. I hope Caffen8me can clear it up for you.

Thanks for checking yours! The insert looks like my other real MAC inserts, so I am feeling a bit better. That barcode on the back threw me!

**waits for Caffen8me to show up**

caffn8me

OK - the good news is that the jar is real. The bad news is that the contents may not be. The jar is an empty pigment jar that you can buy at M·A·C Pro stores for about a dollar. These are not sold with contents, they have different printing on compared to full pigment jars and the ZZ0 date code is because the product never expires because it's just an empty jar.

What is actually inside it is anyone's guess. You cannot use colour as a reliable indicator of authenticity. Fake Teal pigment I have is nowhere near genuine Teal but fake Tan is very close to real Tan although the texture is slightly different.

So you are now in a situation where the only way to determine autheniticity is to perform a full chemical analysis or perhaps a direct side by side comparison with a known good Deckchair sample. Sorry!

Brumbjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
OK - the good news is that the jar is real. The bad news is that the contents may not be. The jar is an empty pigment jar that you can buy at M·A·C Pro stores for about a dollar. These are not sold with contents, they have different printing on compared to full pigment jars and the ZZ0 date code is because the product never expires because it's just an empty jar.

What is actually inside it is anyone's guess. You cannot use colour as a reliable indicator of authenticity. Fake Teal pigment I have is nowhere near genuine Teal but fake Tan is very close to real Tan although the texture is slightly different.

So you are now in a situation where the only way to determine autheniticity is to perform a full chemical analysis or perhaps a direct side by side comparison with a known good Deckchair sample. Sorry!

Thaks for the info! I swatched it next to some real Deckchair that I got as a sample and they look identical. They probably just decanted their real jar into a replacement.... I hope...
winks.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumbjorn
They probably just decanted their real jar into a replacement.... I hope...
winks.gif

Why? It seems a strange thing to do. The pigment comes in a jar, why decant all of it into another jar that costs money? Even if they damaged the jar, you'd have thought they'd still include the box and insert.

Shawna

Did you buy it as a whole jar or half jar? Because if I am splitting a jar of pigment with someone, I buy a pigment jar at mac pro and dump half of mine into it. I keep the original jar (because I'm obsessive) and give the other one to whomever. I split jars with a friend of mine like that all the time. If it was supposed to be a whole jar, then it sounds fishy to me.