Just so you Americans don't misunderstand us Brits....

caffn8me

Here's a great site that gives you lots of British expressions and phrases and it tells you what we mean by them.

I was working in San Diego in 2004 dealing with a squiffy computer and ended up going down with the lurgy. The folks I was working with were chuffed to bits to learn these new expressions and henceforth I was known as "Squiffy"
smiles.gif
(this is absolutely true!)

You can find out what all these quaint words and sayings mean at The Best of British; The American's guide to speaking British.

midnightlouise

Good stuff! I learned alot by hanging around the Lush International forum
smiles.gif
I'd say 90% of the people on there are British so I had to learn the lingo or be confused lol! And watching British TV never hurts
greengrin.gif

Edited to say that after reading the slang I'm proud to say that I knew most of it. I'll have to thank my Bristish pals for mentoring me
greengrin.gif

Julia Vanhorn

I always wanted to go to UK, but I am too POOR to go anywhere. *sigh* Someday I will get there. Caffn8me, can you stick me in a luggage and sneak me into UK? I think I would fit into a suitcase. lol...

aziajs

Thanks. When I watch BBC America, home of my show FOOTBALLERS WIVES, sometimes I have NO idea what they are talking about. I have to try to pick it up by context clues. On the season 1 dvd they actually have a glossary.

poddygirl

That's so funny - I remember when I had first met my (then) Brit boyfriend (now husband) he was into South Park but obviously was missing a lot in translation as he didn't understand the cultural references (i.e Brian Boitano, Kathy Lee Gifford etc). I always had to translate for him ...

FB Wives rocks! 8)

lovemichelle

Anti-clockwise - The first time I said that something had gone anti-clockwise to someone in Texas I got this very funny look. It simply means counter-clockwise but must sound really strange to you chaps! I think he thought I had something against clocks!

I had a teacher say that before, but he didn't know what it meant. he was from africa and i'm pretty sure he said it just because he didnt know counter clockwise, but its weird to see that people do say that.

natalie75

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me
Here's a great site that gives you lots of British expressions and phrases and it tells you what we mean by them.

I was working in San Diego in 2004 dealing with a squiffy computer and ended up going down with the lurgy. The folks I was working with were chuffed to bits to learn these new expressions and henceforth I was known as "Squiffy"
smiles.gif
(this is absolutely true!)

You can find out what all these quaint words and sayings mean at The Best of British; The American's guide to speaking British.

OH MY GOSH, how funny
clap.gif
My husband will LOVE this! My mother is from Clacton-on-Sea and my auntie lives in St. Albans. I was just there last year and had a wonderful visit. I took my husband two years ago and he has NOT stopped talking about wanting to move to England FOREVER. We pay dearly here for the few things I have introduced him to......... Shephards Pie made with lamb and Bisto, Candbury's (real thing), mushy peas and of course beans on toast and on and on..............he loves it all. Thank you for the link!
thmbup.gif

-x-buttercup-x-

haha I was expecting to go on and find all these words that us Brits are apparently supposed to use but never do, whereas actually it's pretty accurate. I say most of those phrases, it's so weird to think some people don't know what they mean

cloverette

haha, this is really good! i'm not american or british, but lived in the US & now in the UK... this definitely helps me understand what lots of brits are saying
winks.gif

Chic 2k6

these days British Teenagers, not all of them, tend to talk in some british slang, and im british and i dont even understand half of them lmao

Vicky88

The thing that annoys me about that site, it's not even made by Brits! lol

"They say" this, "They say" that.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky88
The thing that annoys me about that site, it's not even made by Brits! lol

"They say" this, "They say" that.

A bit of poking around shows that the site is written by a guy called Mike who lives in Basingstoke (UK) and he did his degree at what was then Portsmouth Polytechnic so I think he's a Brit.

as_cute_as_pie

heh sorry to revise such a old topic
the site must be old they say university is still FREE
rofl.gif
eeksign.gif

oh and before channel 5 existed lol eep